Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
A lot of people have been asking for BBC iPlayer Radio. Since Sonos only appear to respond to new posts I have decided to suggest this again. 
None of the responses from Sonos on this is issue so far have been satisfactory. These have included:
- Apple Licensing. This is irrelevant and probably indicates that Sonos don't actually know what iPlayer Radio is.
- Use Apple AirPlay. No. I am not going to go and spend a load more money on some other system because the one I bought off you doesn't do what it is meant to do.
- Plug a separate source into a Sonos amp or speaker. No. This is meant to be a wireless system so I am not going plug a wire into it to make it work. Further, the system is meant to work from one control panel. That's one of the features. So I don't want to have to work it through two control panels.

What people want to know is if Sonos HAVE ANY PLANS TO PROVIDE iPlayer or is it just OFF THE TABLE? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

Ouch. Firstly apologies for the typing. Need to spend more time in review. I didn't think I was dealing in hyperbole when asserting the premise that if Sonos wants to live up to its brand promise and customer experience that the foremost musical sources need to be available in an unmitigated full fat format via Sonos.
Ouch. Firstly apologies for the typing. Need to spend more time in review. I didn't think I was dealing in hyperbole when asserting the premise that if Sonos wants to live up to its brand promise and customer experience that the foremost musical sources need to be available in an unmitigated full fat format via Sonos.

You said, and I quote
just got my first Sonos product which I love and am planning to build but 2 days in I find we can't stream the BBC. It's a shock and an embarrassment to the Sonis brand. Come on guys, sort this out. Do you have any concept of the stellar credibility of BBC Music.

Given the BBC stations available on TuneIn, this is fundamentally incorrect. I honestly was not sure if you were aware of the TuneIn BBC stations or not. So I offered my correction to your incorrect statement in the hope it may help you or someone else out, on the oft chance you were not interested, No ouch intended.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
We could state the classic , "does it state BBC iplayer anywhere on the box", no , do not be surprised if it doesn't work with bbc iplayer.
In fact it doesn't sate anything on the PLAY:1 box, as far as I can remember 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes, just for clarity.

All the BBBC radio stations are available via TuneIn Radio on Sonos. When you factor in the local stations I wouldn't even want to guess how many. But more than you can shake a stick at. The only caveat is that there is some geo-blocking involved even within the UK - EG if I want to listen to commentary of my beloved Canaries I can't through BBC Radio Norfolk on Sonos as the BBC only has the local broadcast rights so the on-line version get's a "Rights restriction" looped message.

The BBC stations are having some issues via TuneIn at the moment - cutting out and so on - It's not un-listenable but irritating.

As to podcasts. This is a public forum and they don't like searing but let's just say that it's pants shall we? If you can find a program (podcast) of the BBC in TuneIn it plays fine - it's just that most of them don't show up. Frankly it's garbage. I don't know if it will ever be improved but I suggest you investigate alternate methods (rather than via TuneIn) of listening to podcasts from the BBC on your Sonos.
I'd like to add my voice to the requests for adding BBC radio player to Sonos. The ability to listen to on demand programmes easily would be great (and clearly something loads of us would love to see).
I'd heartily recommend you taking your voice over to the BBC with that request. I would be confident that Sonos has already expressed the desire, and it's up to the BBC and their lawyer as to whether they would want to implement such a thing.
You do know that you can work around this by using a chomecast audio and connecting it to the line in. Its not ideal having to pay extra get functionality that Sonos should provide out of the box.
The upside is that apart from selecting line in on the Sonos app you can now ditch the appalling Sonos app interface and use the native iplayer and Spotify apps to control the playlist.

All Sonos need to do to remedy this it to allow users to stream what is playing on thier phones like chromocast does - simple!

Should be no licensing issues should be really easy to do - why do they insist on reinventing the wheel when we have excellent interfaces already built by the services we subscribe to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would send message to BBC wanting BBC iplayer to be able to direct stream to Sonos. Sonos has the infrastructure for those wanting to be able to direct stream from the native app (Spotify version is in beta now). If the BBC is willing to work with Sonos they can make their iplayer app send direct to sonos speakers.
Is the direct stream being opened up to every service who wants access?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
yes - the BBC should be able to work with Sonos to implement
Interesting times.
As announced at the press release (and as discussed in EVERY SINGLE BBC IPlayer thread for the last few months):

Rapid innovation is happening across native apps from all the streaming services. Sonos also announced its commitment to enable direct control experiences across its entire lineup of music service partners, including Pandora.

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Hey don't get his hopes up, there has been absolutely no sonos news, on bbc iplayer ever coming to sonos.

All the latest "opening up" progress has been with subscription services, which the bbc is definitely not, read into that what you will, you could say partners expect a return on their development costs with sonos, or they see sonos customers as a cash cow for signing up to subscription services.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well Spotify is a subscription service working with Sonos to get as many users as possible.

BBC is really a subscription service from a UK standpoint in a way - it isn't free. They may not be as beholden to trying to entice new customer like Spotify ... but they are still in the business of attempting to do the best for their listeners.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I still think Alexa or google home will be the quickest way to get bbc iplayer through sonos seamlessly.
Hey don't get his hopes up, there has been absolutely no sonos news, on bbc iplayer ever coming to sonos.

All the latest "opening up" progress has been with subscription services, which the bbc is definitely not, read into that what you will, you could say partners expect a return on their development costs with sonos, or they see sonos customers as a cash cow for signing up to subscription services.

Oh fer cripes sake!! Do you even read??? In the very press release I posted above, it specifically mentions direct control is coming to Pandora - which is a FREE service!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well I don't know anything about pandora, so I missed that it would be free, we will see when it happens.
There was no mention that spotify had to be a premium account till the beta started yesterday.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
huh? Spotify has been on Sonos for year and has always required premium subscription.
Well I don't know anything about pandora, so I missed that it would be free, we will see when it happens.
There was no mention that spotify had to be a premium account till the beta started yesterday.

Did you ever think that maybe you shouldn't speak with such authority about things which you know absolutely nothing about? Because your track record for truth is pretty poor when it comes to Sonos and subscription services.
Spotify Connect also requires premium (as in Connect on software/hardware outside of Sonos)
Would love Sonos integration into BBC iPlayer similar to how they've worked it with Spotify.

TuneIn Radio just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

Come on Sonos!
I can not believe this.

I'm getting one a Play1 for Christmas. Or at least I was. All I wanted was to stream BBC Radio 6 Music to a decent wireless speaker. I've heard great things about Sonos but not being able to stream BBC. That's bananas!!

I agree, tunein app is terrible. Takes ages to connect and often crashes.

Come on Sonos. Listen to your market!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is up to BBC to partner with Sonos. We have no idea if they are doing that or not. BBC would have to tell you.
I can not believe this.

I'm getting one a Play1 for Christmas. Or at least I was. All I wanted was to stream BBC Radio 6 Music to a decent wireless speaker. I've heard great things about Sonos but not being able to stream BBC. That's bananas!!

I agree, tunein app is terrible. Takes ages to connect and often crashes.

Come on Sonos. Listen to your market!!!

Sonos streams live BBC content just fine. It also streams some of the play again content, but not all. What it doesn't do is stream from iPlayer or have all the bells and whistles. If all you want is to stream BBC 6, Sonos does that just fine, regardless of the complaints in this thread.
I should clarify my original post, streaming BBC music stations works like a charm, just add them to Sonos Favourites and hey presto.

Where my issue lies is with the wealth of content from the 'listen again' feature of iPlayer. Some of this content is available through the TuneIn function but it is very limited.

There is a workaround I use by plugging my phone straight into the 'line in' port of a Play 5 and grouping other rooms. Not ideal but it still means I can listen all over the house.

I think someone earlier hit the nail on the head with the fact that we should probably be speaking to the BBC to request this functionality. There are several threads on this subject and replies from Sonos are fairly tight lipped, maybe they are pusuing this maybe not, but I think if the BBC went knocking themselves it would carry more weight? Just a thought.