Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
A lot of people have been asking for BBC iPlayer Radio. Since Sonos only appear to respond to new posts I have decided to suggest this again. 
None of the responses from Sonos on this is issue so far have been satisfactory. These have included:
- Apple Licensing. This is irrelevant and probably indicates that Sonos don't actually know what iPlayer Radio is.
- Use Apple AirPlay. No. I am not going to go and spend a load more money on some other system because the one I bought off you doesn't do what it is meant to do.
- Plug a separate source into a Sonos amp or speaker. No. This is meant to be a wireless system so I am not going plug a wire into it to make it work. Further, the system is meant to work from one control panel. That's one of the features. So I don't want to have to work it through two control panels.

What people want to know is if Sonos HAVE ANY PLANS TO PROVIDE iPlayer or is it just OFF THE TABLE? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

^^Huh?
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Hooray and at last BBC iplayer is back directly via the controller. Let's hope it stays this time. And if it was you KS, thanks

What the heck are you talking about?

There is no BBC iPlayer .... just Tunein feeds.

That's NOT iPlayer
I have a workaround for those people who would like to listen to iPlayer on their Sonos. It involves downloading the iPlayer show to your device and then playing it as a regular mp3 with Sonos. Far from ideal but it works for me as I just want to listen to Gilles Peterson every week!
1. Download get_Iplayer application (google search it)
2. Follow these instructions https://woodygems.wordpress.com/2013/07/04/how-to-download-for-offline-playing-bbc-tv-or-radio-iplayer-programmes-using-get_iplayer-an-alternative-to-radio-downloader/
3. Copy the dowloaded file to your phone or wherever you have the Sonos app
4. Listen and Enjoy 🙂
I have a workaround for those people who would like to listen to iPlayer on their Sonos. It involves downloading the iPlayer show to your device and then playing it as a regular mp3 with Sonos. Far from ideal but it works for me as I just want to listen to Gilles Peterson every week!
1. Download get_Iplayer application (google search it)
2. Follow these instructions https://woodygems.wordpress.com/2013/07/04/how-to-download-for-offline-playing-bbc-tv-or-radio-iplayer-programmes-using-get_iplayer-an-alternative-to-radio-downloader/
3. Copy the dowloaded file to your phone or wherever you have the Sonos app
4. Listen and Enjoy :)
Hi Kmag, I also like Gilles Petersen and can now get it direct through Sonos. Path - Radio by Tune - then search. I have it saved as one of " My Radio Shows" from way back but it stopped working for a couple of years but is now back. Late Junction and Cerys Mathews also now available.
Thanks Martin. I can't seem to find it on mine though - you mean 'Radio by TuneIn'? Clicking this then Search takes me to Sonos 'stations' search
Hi Kmag
I'm looking on my mac desktop app. (my last remaining Sonos controller is not as touch sensitive as it should be - I say last because I have had 5 in the past which all eventually failed). Anyway on the desktop app : Radio by Tunein. You will see the list My Radio Stations, My Radio Shows, Local radio etc, Above that list to the right is a search panel where you enter Gilles Petersen or whatever. Once located and playing you can save it to "My Radio Shows". Hope you can get it.
Hi Kmag
I'm looking on my mac desktop app. (my last remaining Sonos controller is not as touch sensitive as it should be - I say last because I have had 5 in the past which all eventually failed). Anyway on the desktop app : Radio by Tunein. You will see the list My Radio Stations, My Radio Shows, Local radio etc, Above that list to the right is a search panel where you enter Gilles Petersen or whatever. Once located and playing you can save it to "My Radio Shows". Hope you can get it.

Got it! There's a massive amount of previous Gilles Peterson to chose from, amazing! Thanks so much 🙂
So, back in the box my new Sono goes - it's had about 30 minutes of light. Have just spent very happy moments unwrapping and setting up my birthday present. On discovering I can't stream radio easily through it, listen again, iplayer etc, it becomes completely useless to me.

Is this true I can't play listen again? Please can someone tell me before I take it back to the shop......
OK, have just read the more recent posts and I think I have my answer, back to the shop I go....
To stream listen again, make sure you are using the latest version of the app and firmware (6.3). All listen again material is available in the Radio section under "Shows". You can search for a show by name and you will find them grouped by recent shows (listen again) or upcoming/now playing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So, back in the box my new Sono goes - it's had about 30 minutes of light. Have just spent very happy moments unwrapping and setting up my birthday present. On discovering I can't stream radio easily through it, listen again, iplayer etc, it becomes completely useless to me.

Is this true I can't play listen again? Please can someone tell me before I take it back to the shop......

Don't take this the wrong way but is there any chance you can borrow an 8 year old for half an hour?

Seriously though, live radio is absolutely fantastic. You can get all the BBC stations including the regions and on top of that thousands, some in weird languages like American English. As Maggie mentions you can search for all the podcasts/listen again shows that are available in TuneIn - I'll admit that since Sonos fixed the HLS stream issue for listen again I have noted that the results returned aren't always complete plus I get duplicates. It's probably been like that for a while but I didn't notice because I want using it whilst Sonos wouldn't play them.

Don't give up so easily.

Don't take this the wrong way but is there any chance you can borrow an 8 year old for half an hour?

Seriously though, live radio is absolutely fantastic. You can get all the BBC stations including the regions and on top of that thousands, some in weird languages like American English. As Maggie mentions you can search for all the podcasts/listen again shows that are available in TuneIn - I'll admit that since Sonos fixed the HLS stream issue for listen again I have noted that the results returned aren't always complete plus I get duplicates. It's probably been like that for a while but I didn't notice because I want using it whilst Sonos wouldn't play them.

Don't give up so easily.

You are so right:) Hasty should be my middle name - I just like my bose speaker where it charges it whilst playing whatever is coming out of my phone...I will persevere, and thanks for the encouragement!!
To stream listen again, make sure you are using the latest version of the app and firmware (6.3). All listen again material is available in the Radio section under "Shows". You can search for a show by name and you will find them grouped by recent shows (listen again) or upcoming/now playing.

Thank you very much, I will try this,
[quote=Buzzy3]To stream listen again, make sure you are using the latest version of the app and firmware (6.3). All listen again material is available in the Radio section under "Shows". You can search for a show by name and you will find them grouped by recent shows (listen again) or upcoming/now playing.

Thank you very much for replying - when I go to radio shows, it says no selections are available - I must have the updated version as this is all brand new....?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What you need to do is click on TuneIn and then enter in the search box enter what you are looking for and then click the Podcasts & Shows tab and select which one you want.

Once you've found it you can add the show to My Radio Shows (that's why it's empty because you haven't added anything yet).
Genius to show me the picture - I didn't see you could scroll horizontally - am all set up and didnt even have to wake my 8 yr old - thanks!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
At first I didn't see you could schroll horizontally either, needs some more development that one.
BBC Radio is an immense body of audio pleasure, full of wit, intelligence, humour, argument, news, history, drama, literature....I can't imagine anything else close to it exists in the known Universe. I've always thought of it as "The Jewel in Britain's Crown". The arrival of podcasts has opened up another dimension. Like Dr. Who, you can travel back to events you missed or wish to savour again. Come on Sonos, like all the other people posting on this topic, give us better BBC Radio access, preferably the native app! I feel like screaming!! I'd like to buy another Sonos speaker but this unsatisfactory BBC Radio access issue stays my hand.
Badge +1
I am so frustrated. I listen to most of my radio shows over the weekend via BBC iplayer listen again, as I can't listen to them live. I'm now struggling to listen to Paul Morley's excellent Bowie doc on BBC 4 extra on my laptop internal speakers after trying and failing to find how to locate any 4 extra podcasts on SONOS. If I can't listen to the shows I missed via the iplayer, there is just no point me keeping this speaker, and no point AT ALL in extending my SONOS system.
Badge +1
Just look at the measures people are having to go to!!! https://anonadventure.wordpress.com/2015/11/29/bbc-iplayer-radio-podcasts-on-sonos/
Regardless of "the measures", the disappointment, the gnashing of teeth, etc., iPlayer is owned and controlled by the BBC. That means Sonos could not independently offer an iPlayer plugin even if they wanted. In addition, Sonos offers a free Music Partners API for any service in the world to use to integrate into Sonos. The only catch is the service has to want to do it and so far the BBC has declined. This should make it easy to decide where one should be posting their disappointment.
Badge +1
Whatever the source of the disappointment, it results the same thing: the SONOS is not currently for me and I'll have to go back to streaming iTunes via Airport. What a bummer - the sound quality is great, but if I can't use it as I need to then, sadly, it has to go.
Whatever the source of the disappointment, it results the same thing: the SONOS is not currently for me and I'll have to go back to streaming iTunes via Airport. What a bummer - the sound quality is great, but if I can't use it as I need to then, sadly, it has to go.

In the years I've been using Sonos, the topic of who's responsible has come up many times. When the Music Partners program is explained, the default answer has almost always been (paraphrasing) "I don't care who is to blame (*AHEM * even though I came here to blame), I'm going to keep complaining here! (Or dump my gear on e-bay)". Only one time did a large contingent of posters say thanks for that answer and proceeded to organise a petition of the service provider to utilise the Sonos API.

That service provider was Google, who now has the best integration with Sonos that there is, including streaming from their own app. But hey, why try something which actually works when you can keep screaming at the wind?
Badge +1
I rather think it's SONOS the company, rather than SONOS customers, who need to take a lead on this. it is, after all, their business and their financial venture, not ours. I don't believe I purchased shares when I purchased my speaker. Should SONOS wish to organise a petition to the BBC I would be more than happy to support it. However, SONOS must surely be aware that they will not retain any current customers who regularly use 'listen again' on BBC iplayer unless they deal with it themselves. If the issue is related to the BBC licence, then I guess there's no getting around it. I'm not screaming in the wind, just making sure SONOS are keeping tabs on this, their ongoing problem in customer retention. Feedback from customers is vital to any business. I am presuming here that SONOS monitor these fora. If not, then my feedback is indeed futile. In the meanwhile, I will have to purchase an alternative speaker that I *am* able to listen to my chosen audio on.