Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
A lot of people have been asking for BBC iPlayer Radio. Since Sonos only appear to respond to new posts I have decided to suggest this again. 
None of the responses from Sonos on this is issue so far have been satisfactory. These have included:
- Apple Licensing. This is irrelevant and probably indicates that Sonos don't actually know what iPlayer Radio is.
- Use Apple AirPlay. No. I am not going to go and spend a load more money on some other system because the one I bought off you doesn't do what it is meant to do.
- Plug a separate source into a Sonos amp or speaker. No. This is meant to be a wireless system so I am not going plug a wire into it to make it work. Further, the system is meant to work from one control panel. That's one of the features. So I don't want to have to work it through two control panels.

What people want to know is if Sonos HAVE ANY PLANS TO PROVIDE iPlayer or is it just OFF THE TABLE? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

ok, this thread has even more replies than the other one, so let me beg here as well:

Now that you have done the Apple Music integration, can you focus on doing the BBC iPlayer? Pleeeaaase! I finally want to stop listening to the iPlayer app via headphones from my iPhone whilst cooking having a perfectly fine Sonos system sitting there unused.
Another vote for inclusion of iPlayer radio in Sonos.
In the meantime, a cheapish workaround exists if you own the Sonos 5 player (which has line in). Today I bought for £14 a Chromecast Audio device from Curry's and plugged this into the 5. The iPlayer has native support for casting to the little Chrome device and it works flawlessly. Just select the line-in input in the Sonos app and you are away, with all of the content and functionality offered by the excellent iPlayer. So far I have had far fewer dropouts while listening to BBC Radio 6 Music - a sadly regular occurrence when listening via Tunein.
Tis just a shame that this isn't offered by Sonos.
Userlevel 1
I have also been waiting for SONOS to support BBC Iplayer Radio. SONOS keep telling me that it does provide access to the BBC radio streams via Radio by Tuneln, which works well for live radio streams. However, what Tuneln does not do well is provide access to BBC Radio play it again and podcasts. Tuneln is very hit amd miss about supporting BBC Radio podcasts and very slow in getting play it again BBC Radio programs loaded if they get them at all. This could easily be solved by SONOS by supporting BBC Iplayer in the SONOS App. I suggest SONOS listen to the large number of very annoyed BBC Iplayer users who also have SONOS systems and get it integrated in the SONOS App. As a simple workaround I am using a Google Chromecast Audio plugged into my line-in port and then cast the BBC Iplayer program to SONOS. It works better than a bluetooth device on the line-in port. However, SONOS, please listen to your UK users and get BBC Iplayer radio integrated into your SONOS app. Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
What has the BBC told you when you asked them to include their service in Sonos?
Just want to add my voice in support of a BBC iplayer app.
It is such a simple thing for sonos to add and would give so many benefits!
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
BBC iRadio Player PLEASE!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
In the meantime, a cheapish workaround exists if you own the Sonos 5 player (which has line in). Today I bought for £14 a Chromecast Audio device from Curry's and plugged this into the 5. The iPlayer has native support for casting to the little Chrome device and it works flawlessly. Just select the line-in input in the Sonos app and you are away, with all of the content and functionality offered by the excellent iPlayer. So far I have had far fewer dropouts while listening to BBC Radio 6 Music - a sadly regular occurrence when listening via Tunein.

Err I was trying to do this at the weekend. BBC iplayer on pc does not support chromecast audio. How did you do it please?

Sonos is an American company, so I guess BBC iplayer is well down their worldwide improvement list...

So simple that they've been actively working on it with the BBC for the past year or so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

So simple that they've been actively working on it with the BBC for the past year or so.

What we know is that Sonos are working to get the listen again and podcasts from the BBC working again via TuneIn. They fixed the live radio stations and at some point will fix the podcasts and listen again.

There has not been any commitment to integrate the BBC Iplayer (Radio) as a music service and any way this would mostly be a BBC thing.

I wouldn't, personally, hold out hope of a BBC Iplayer integration at all.
I think Sonos is in a difficult spot with iPlayer because BBC is transitioning away from not just the stream formats with HLS (and eventually DASH, start asking Sonos about this niw) - But they are also moving to a new streaming/content API (BBC gave it the awesome name "Nitro").

The old iplayer is working for now on other platforms but we not sure we can expect Sonos to add support for this because BBC have said it will be phased out.

At the same time Sonos or their partners can't add or move the content to Nitro/iPlayer because Nitro has not been released to the public.

Just my opinion on this.

Err I was trying to do this at the weekend. BBC iplayer on pc does not support chromecast audio. How did you do it please?

Sonos is an American company, so I guess BBC iplayer is well down their worldwide improvement list...

You'd need to use Chrome as your browser on the PC
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
iplayer radio app works great on android tablet with CCA, podcasts easy to use, so using that instead of pc.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
So here we are fast approaching half way through 2016 , well over a year now without BBC listen again services . Surely Sonos have some more info about when this will be implemented now ?

Or is it the usual ' we're working on a solution and will let you know when we have something to report' statement again ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey Richard,

I know you're hanging on here, and we appreciate it. We don't share details on software development as you know, so we can't let you in on the timetable. Stick with us and we'll let you know anything we can as soon as possible.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Ok Ryan
I too would like to add my voice to this request. I have just purchased my first Sonos and am disappointed that I can no longer listen to BBC Radio programmes on Listen Again as I used to be able to with Google Cast.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have invested a lot in Sonos but repeatedly get "unable to play the radio station" when trying to listen to bbc live feeds. Tune in is Crap. There has to be a better solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have invested a lot in Sonos but repeatedly get "unable to play the radio station" when trying to listen to bbc live feeds. Tune in is Crap. There has to be a better solution.

Nothing wrong with the BBC live radio stations since the playing of the HLS streams was fixed.

Assuming you are up to date on the Sonos software and firmware then there will be an issue with your system.

I suggest you post a topic in the Troubleshooting section and submit a diagnostic number in there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Assuming you are up to date on the Sonos software and firmware then there will be an issue with your system.

I suggest you post a topic in the Troubleshooting section and submit a diagnostic number in there.

Agreed. We'd be happy to take a look at your setup. Also, if you can run a speedtest and pingtest on your system when you're having trouble that'd be great.

Just a note, if you've been playing out of your Radio Favorites, it's good practice to remove those favorites and search for the station again. This will make sure you get the best possible streams at the time.
And another one - please add me to the list of those who won't buy any more Sonos kit until you get full iPlayer support working. The point of the iPlayer isn't just to stream live stations - we are in the UK, and we get most of those over the broadcast systems anyway. Most iPlayer use is for on-demand listening, so that's what your app needs to support - or at least it should provide a gateway for the iPlayer audio output into the Sonos stream.

I appreciate RyanS's "please bear with us" comment, but this thread is now two years old, so "we can't tell you when it will happen" is wearing a bit thin,

Actually I think I might just open up my Play:1, find the feed to the power amp, solder in a couple of external phono sockets, then connect up a $15 bluetooth interface to it. The wifi stuff is all very clever-clever, but the main result is that it doesn't allow me to listen to what I mostly want to listen to, which is YouTube videos and the iPlayer. It would be very nice if I could just use the darn thing as a bluetooth speaker as well, even if there was a small loss in audio quality.

NB don't try this at home, it will invalidate your warranty, and possibly kill you if you forget to unplug the unit first. 🙂
blitheringeejit,

Check the Announcements page. The BBC HLS on-demand functionality is now in public beta.
Even now that we have HLS streams and, even if TuneIn sort out getting all of the shows from the beeb, it is still a rubbish user experience for finding radio catch up content.

I used to use squeeze box and had an amazing plugin that allowed me to browse by station, by date, by category etc.

Either write a decent BBC catch-up sonos service with a UI that is useful, or, preferably, open up your streaming API so that people like the BBC can add a stream to Sonos feature. Google Play Music has such a button, why can't other media providers?
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Even now that we have HLS streams and, even if TuneIn sort out getting all of the shows from the beeb, it is still a rubbish user experience for finding radio catch up content.

I used to use squeeze box and had an amazing plugin that allowed me to browse by station, by date, by category etc.

Either write a decent BBC catch-up sonos service with a UI that is useful, or, preferably, open up your streaming API so that people like the BBC can add a stream to Sonos feature. Google Play Music has such a button, why can't other media providers?

Squeezebox still has the amazing iplayer plugin - on-demand by day, channel, category, etc. And in DASH format. Live BBC in Dash also with option to play-back in delayed steps. Forgot that the BBC 4 One O'clock News began 10 mins. ago? No sweat - just play back from start-time.

All this is available if you turn your Sonos speaker into a squeezebox player using the LMS upnpbridge plugin.

The Sonos app is okay for live streams, but dismal for on-demand.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Hopefully one day google casting will be able to cast to sonos from native apps like iplayer. not just the one GPM android app. Seeing as google has sold 55million of these little chromecast devices, it would make sonos more attractive to households that already have them.
Hooray and at last BBC iplayer is back directly via the controller. Let's hope it stays this time. And if it was you KS, thanks

A lot of people have been asking for BBC iPlayer Radio. Since Sonos only appear to respond to new posts I have decided to suggest this again. 
None of the responses from Sonos on this is issue so far have been satisfactory. These have included:
- Apple Licensing. This is irrelevant and probably indicates that Sonos don't actually know what iPlayer Radio is.
- Use Apple AirPlay. No. I am not going to go and spend a load more money on some other system because the one I bought off you doesn't do what it is meant to do.
- Plug a separate source into a Sonos amp or speaker. No. This is meant to be a wireless system so I am not going plug a wire into it to make it work. Further, the system is meant to work from one control panel. That's one of the features. So I don't want to have to work it through two control panels.

What people want to know is if Sonos HAVE ANY PLANS TO PROVIDE iPlayer or is it just OFF THE TABLE?