Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
A lot of people have been asking for BBC iPlayer Radio. Since Sonos only appear to respond to new posts I have decided to suggest this again. 
None of the responses from Sonos on this is issue so far have been satisfactory. These have included:
- Apple Licensing. This is irrelevant and probably indicates that Sonos don't actually know what iPlayer Radio is.
- Use Apple AirPlay. No. I am not going to go and spend a load more money on some other system because the one I bought off you doesn't do what it is meant to do.
- Plug a separate source into a Sonos amp or speaker. No. This is meant to be a wireless system so I am not going plug a wire into it to make it work. Further, the system is meant to work from one control panel. That's one of the features. So I don't want to have to work it through two control panels.

What people want to know is if Sonos HAVE ANY PLANS TO PROVIDE iPlayer or is it just OFF THE TABLE? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

I spent weeks/months last year, to-ing and fro-ing with Sonos support trying to decipher what was causing my ageing Sonos kit to hang (and need a reboot).
I’d explained all along that I thought it was connected with BBC radio streams and Tunein. They were having “none of it”.
I gave up trying to diagnose in the end.

Interestingly other radio stations (non-BBC) seem to stream very well and without any lock-ups.

I’ve had my sonos kit for years, probably about 8 or 9 now. This never used to happen with BBC stations.

I think the BBC’s migration to a new steaming platform, plus Tunein’s uselessness keeps us where we are today.

Pretty sure in the old days, Sonos used a different streaming partner to serve all their stuff. Can’t remember what it was... but it was always reliable.

Can’t believe this fiasco is still ongoing.

In 2011, Tunein/Sonos lost access to well over 100 CBS stations in the US, and to this day you can only listen to them by entering a manual link which often changes. This was never resolved.
Badge
I spent weeks/months last year, to-ing and fro-ing with Sonos support trying to decipher what was causing my ageing Sonos kit to hang (and need a reboot).
I’d explained all along that I thought it was connected with BBC radio streams and Tunein. They were having “none of it”.

Interestingly other radio stations (non-BBC) seem to stream very well and without any lock-ups.

I’ve had my sonos kit for years, probably about 8 or 9 now. This never used to happen with BBC stations.

I think the BBC’s migration to a new steaming platform, plus Tunein’s uselessness keeps us where we are today.

Pretty sure in the old days, Sonos used a different streaming partner to serve all their stuff. Can’t remember what it was... but it was always reliable.

I read about the Apple/BBC confusion in this forum, if it is not correct I would assume it would be bought about by a lack of response from Sonos or a "we don't comment on future features we may add" remark.

So you have absolutely no evidence for your definitive statement that Sonos confused iplayer with an Apple product. Thank for clarifying.
Userlevel 1
Badge

I dip into these BBC channel posts post every now and then to see if there is any change with BBC support on Sonos. For me I don't really care if it is TuneIn, BBC or Sonos that has a problem. I don't care if it's a technical issue brought about by changing transmission support. And I really don't care about who said what when and proof etc. I bought a system from Sonos in good faith. I was told at point of sale, a Sonos concession in John Lewis, that 'Yes, BBC channels were fully supported' (among other questions that I asked and also received positive responses. Therefore my contract of sale (and support) is with Sonos (not TuneIn, not the BBC). I also contacted Sonos directly and they directed me to this and other posts to 'watch for the answer'. So for me it's quite simple, BBC channels on Sonos don't work well, they need fixing, so is it going to be fixed or not? If not then Sonos should tell us. If it is then Sonos should tell us what the time line is for implementation. It's not rocket science it's a simple question and just requires a simple answer. Last I read from a Sonos employee was that Sonos were looking at this last year, this year - I forget - but Sonos, having looked and investigated then there must be a definitive answer, so where is it? And what is it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@Mark, the main thread for adding support for the new BBC streams is located here, that's the one to follow for updates. We just recently updated it, letting everyone know that we are working to get the new HLS streams working for the end of the year. We're in the middle of adding full HLS support to Sonos not just for these HLS streams, but for other stations and services.

We're getting off topic here so I'd like to remind everyone that this thread is a request to get BBC iPlayer Radio added to Sonos as a native music service. There currently isn't a plan to add it in, but the HLS development that's taking place would be applicable if the BBC and us start to work together to add iPlayer to Sonos natively. The iPlayer app uses HLS for streaming which is a format we have only partially supported in the past.

On the original post in the thread from Tim, we've been using TuneIn radio as our Internet radio catalog for a long time, they were previously called RadioTime but it was the same company. There was a dark time when we There have been more issues of late with BBC radio in general, for reasons we've talked about at length in the thread above. We're working to improve the overall BBC listening experience on Sonos for everyone.

Let's all try to be mindful of each other and not start attacking people. Name calling and personal attacks will be removed from the community so that everyone can feel welcome to participate. Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Badge

@Ryan, many thanks for providing the answer in this stream and pointing me in the right direction to get an update.
Badge

It is good and timely that the readers of this stream now have a good idea of the timescale for a working UK radio stream from Sonos. The downside is that non readers of the stream or customers who have just accepted the non functioning of BBC radio are still in the dark. Perhaps Sonos could inform registered Sonos customers of the situation .
Userlevel 1
I use my SONOS system to listen to SPOTIFY and Radio.  The lack of BBC I Player radio is a serious deficiency in the SONOS supported Services.  SONOS please work with the BBC to get BBC I Player radio working as a SONOS service.  The BBC I Player app allows you to play radio programs for up to 30 days after broadcast and would fit well with the SONOS system.  I do not wish to use a  work around of a line-in from another device, I want the integrated streaming direct via the SONOS app. SONOS Help.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Gutted no iPlayer!!!!!!. Why no iplayer
Come on SONOS... you're ruining my Ashes experience and general Radio 4 listening. what is the point in having "a smart system of HiFi wireless speakers and audio components. It unites your digital music collection in one app that you control from any device"
Can't believe this is still an issue... get it sorted!
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
For non-UK listeners to BBC the iPlayer Radio support might not be the solution ... as this is currently restricted to UK.
I hope that Sonos' native HLS support overcomes/sidesteps that limitation.
Ryan

"the main thread for adding support for the new BBC streams is located here, that's the one to follow for updates."

The referenced link is now broken
A lot of people have been asking for BBC iPlayer Radio. Since Sonos only appear to respond to new posts I have decided to suggest this again. 
None of the responses from Sonos on this is issue so far have been satisfactory. These have included:
- Apple Licensing. This is irrelevant and probably indicates that Sonos don't actually know what iPlayer Radio is.
- Use Apple AirPlay. No. I am not going to go and spend a load more money on some other system because the one I bought off you doesn't do what it is meant to do.
- Plug a separate source into a Sonos amp or speaker. No. This is meant to be a wireless system so I am not going plug a wire into it to make it work. Further, the system is meant to work from one control panel. That's one of the features. So I don't want to have to work it through two control panels.

What people want to know is if Sonos HAVE ANY PLANS TO PROVIDE iPlayer or is it just OFF THE TABLE? 
Totally agree.  We are great fans of BBC radio programmes and earlier this year started to invest in Sonos products; we now use Sonos in two rooms with plans for the rest of the home.  But, what BBC iPlayer or listen again there was appears to have disappeared and now it is difficult or at times impossible to play live BBC broadcasts.

We have put on hold plans to expand our system while we consider alternate products and await some sort of action from Sonos.

bought sonos yesterday.......... gutted to find no iplayer and will be returning sonos with 15% restock charge....
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
For non-UK listeners to BBC the iPlayer Radio support might not be the solution ... as this is currently restricted to UK.
As a UK based BBC licence payer I do not object to the current UK restriction!
Couldn't agree more with the above. Clearly there is a licensing / money issue here and Sonos are just not being honest, or at any rate open, about it. Whether it lies with TuneIn or Sonos, we should be told then we can make informed buying decisions
Progress it would seem. Mail from sonos today:

Starting next month,
the Beeb is back on Sonos.
We will be delivering your favourite BBC Radio programming via HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), improving audio quality and resolving regional content restrictions.

Simply install our next software update for live streaming access to all BBC Radio news, sports, talk shows, music and all the other BBC Radio entertainment you love. With fewer gaps in local sports coverage. And the best sounding audio.

But we're not done yet. The next step is to provide access to podcasts and archived content from the BBC on Sonos. We're working with the BBC and TuneIn on that solution, and hope to share more on that next year.

We appreciate your patience and apologise for the quality and programming issues to date. We understand how important streaming BBC Radio on Sonos is, and are committed to ensuring that it remains the best possible experience.

Not before time!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This has been in public beta for a while. If you sign up for beta you will get hls by updating with desktop or android controller.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Not true for me. I live in Spain and can access the the BBC radio player on my devices without a problem. What I can't do is download a programme, but with my VPN this is easily overcome.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Apologies, I was referring to my devices in general and NOT via Sonos. If I access the iPlayer radio app I can either stream to airport express connected to my Sonos Connect or to my portable Bluetooth speaker.
My new Sonos 5 (gen2) arrived a few days ago only to find out that it can't play BBCiPlayer......Taking that I have no stored music and bought it solely for BBCiPlayer, I'm absolutely pig-sick !! I would never have bought it if I knew it didn't have the capability to do so. I feel as if I have just thrown £429 down the pan !!!! Have brought my wee holiday bluetooth speaker back out of the cupboard. My Sonos 5 is now a small coffee table... Come on Sonos, get yer finger out. I will not buy another Sonos product until something is done about it. Another extremely DISAPPOINTED customer...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Where did it say it had I player when you bought. All bbc radio stations available and they said recorded content not currently out there is coming soon. What else missing.
At John Lewis I was told that I would be able to listen to BBCiPlayer via bluetooth....!