Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

I'm just giving my support for adding BBC iPlayer to the Sonos app. I've recently joined the 'family' with a Play 5 and Play 1. They are working seamlessly in our house but I've had to connect an old iphone 4 to the Play 5 to receive iplayer. This does work quite well but seems to me a tad unnecessary and i would love to have integration with the Sonos app.
Please do listen to our UK requests, Sonos, and make your app less blinkered and restrictive.
Many thanks,
Janet Elwin
A lot of people have been asking for BBC iPlayer Radio. Since Sonos only appear to respond to new posts I have decided to suggest this again. 
None of the responses from Sonos on this is issue so far have been satisfactory. These have included:
- Apple Licensing. This is irrelevant and probably indicates that Sonos don't actually know what iPlayer Radio is.
- Use Apple AirPlay. No. I am not going to go and spend a load more money on some other system because the one I bought off you doesn't do what it is meant to do.
- Plug a separate source into a Sonos amp or speaker. No. This is meant to be a wireless system so I am not going plug a wire into it to make it work. Further, the system is meant to work from one control panel. That's one of the features. So I don't want to have to work it through two control panels.

What people want to know is if Sonos HAVE ANY PLANS TO PROVIDE iPlayer or is it just OFF THE TABLE? 
Somebody should read the thread before fanning the flames of xenophobia.
Yes and adding mine too. After being told it would work upon purchase, Where is the bbciplayer. Is any one aware if Sonus is listening to any of this. Has there ever been a reply. Or is it just another giant American tech co that gives not a hoot for consumers in as they call it ROW ( rest of world) outside the US. ( where's that). Come on boys at least tell us where you are with it. Thank you.
Just adding my request for BBC iPlayer support.

Alternatively adding Apple Airplay or Bluetooth or similar would solve the problem and be better for future new apps.

I just bought a an Play 1 as an experiment before investing in a multi room system. The Sonos hardware and system design seems excellent to me, but the app is really disappointing. The frustrating things is that you cannot really discover what the app is like until buying your first component and trying it out for yourself.
Userlevel 1
Badge
BBC Podcasts please
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But the dongle connected to my play:5 was simple enough and tool about 2 minutes to have up and running.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Our hope is Sonos adds native Google casting. They have never said they are but it has been assumed it is something they would possibly do. Google cast audio is new and competitors that announced they would jump on the wagon still above not come out with a solution. Sonos keeps their plans fairly secret compare to companies that announce a year ahead and disappoint. If it does come it will be quick from announcement to implementation.
Sorry, disappointment !
Again, many thanks for the info supplied.....Greatly appreciated .I'm very non-technical and may this be "visible" in my dissapointment. I will very such look into your, hopefully, temporary solution. Cheers, Martin.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They have public ally said the recorded content will be returning soon. There is some available writhing tune in already. Have you had the chance to check.

I have a real problem with Bluetooth from a reliability and quality standpoint. However Google chromecast audio has many of the advantages Sonos has in direct streaming. We actually hope Sonos gains native chromecast ability. But for you the cheap $35 chromecast audio dongle would provide the flexibility you want with the advantages of Sonos. With the chromecast dongle you would gain back full native iplayer from your phone direct to Sonos play:5 via the dongle. I would go that route if I were you.
Missing or not available ?......Many people are disappointed that a piece of equipment of this value does not support iplayer, fact. I just hope that the new formats come to fruition soon. Many thanks for your comments, Chris.
Excuse me......There're supposed to know the capabilites of the product that they are selling, and he was far from being a teenager !! As you can read, I'm not the only person who is disappointed that BBCIplayer is missing. I never said that bluetooth was what Sonos was all about, but to not have one of the most popular UK apps available is a poor show in my opinion.

Saying it is "missing" infers that it was there before and disappeared somehow. A BBC iPlayer isn't "missing" it just isn't there. If you wish to play real time BBC stations, they are in the TuneIn Radio section. If you wish to play the On-Demand stuff, Sonos is currently working on supporting the new formats and they will be here in a future release.

And whether the sales person knew this or not (I suspect they knew the above info about TuneIn Radio and assumed that meant BBC support) is not Sonos' fault; I highly doubt Sonos has some control over John Lewis' training procedures.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
And as said. If you want to add Bluetooth or chromecast flexibility get a cheap dongle to hook to the bald of the play:5 and this add full support then within Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They use tunein for bbc content. All stations are there. They are working on getting the pre-recorded content all the way back (bbc changed their encoding and Sonos had to work hard to get the proper streaming back online for bbc).

The content providers create the apps. The bbc would have to want to create a Sonos app for their to be a Sonos iplayer. Bbc hasn't always seemed to be an easy partner especially as was seen with the fiasco that was bbc hls implementation. Much of this thread is a pile on of lack of hls support for bbc stations which Sonos has now added.
Excuse me......There're supposed to know the capabilites of the product that they are selling, and he was far from being a teenager !! As you can read, I'm not the only person who is disappointed that BBCIplayer is missing. I never said that bluetooth was what Sonos was all about, but to not have one of the most popular UK apps available is a poor show in my opinion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So blast Sonos because a teenager at John Lewis said it was what you were looking for ... Makes sense. Sonos has a lot of advantages for excellent multi room playback. A single room Bluetooth speaker is not its intended use and not marketed as such.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They had no idea what they were saying. You could by a $20 Bluetooth Singke or a google cast dongle to add capability to the play:5...or return the play:5

Adding dongle would allow you to Bluetooth or cast any future Sonos speakers in house as well.
At John Lewis I was told that I would be able to listen to BBCiPlayer via bluetooth....!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Where did it say it had I player when you bought. All bbc radio stations available and they said recorded content not currently out there is coming soon. What else missing.
My new Sonos 5 (gen2) arrived a few days ago only to find out that it can't play BBCiPlayer......Taking that I have no stored music and bought it solely for BBCiPlayer, I'm absolutely pig-sick !! I would never have bought it if I knew it didn't have the capability to do so. I feel as if I have just thrown £429 down the pan !!!! Have brought my wee holiday bluetooth speaker back out of the cupboard. My Sonos 5 is now a small coffee table... Come on Sonos, get yer finger out. I will not buy another Sonos product until something is done about it. Another extremely DISAPPOINTED customer...
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Apologies, I was referring to my devices in general and NOT via Sonos. If I access the iPlayer radio app I can either stream to airport express connected to my Sonos Connect or to my portable Bluetooth speaker.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Not true for me. I live in Spain and can access the the BBC radio player on my devices without a problem. What I can't do is download a programme, but with my VPN this is easily overcome.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
For non-UK listeners to BBC the iPlayer Radio support might not be the solution ... as this is currently restricted to UK.
I hope that Sonos' native HLS support overcomes/sidesteps that limitation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This has been in public beta for a while. If you sign up for beta you will get hls by updating with desktop or android controller.