Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have invested a lot in Sonos but repeatedly get "unable to play the radio station" when trying to listen to bbc live feeds. Tune in is Crap. There has to be a better solution.

Nothing wrong with the BBC live radio stations since the playing of the HLS streams was fixed.

Assuming you are up to date on the Sonos software and firmware then there will be an issue with your system.

I suggest you post a topic in the Troubleshooting section and submit a diagnostic number in there.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have invested a lot in Sonos but repeatedly get "unable to play the radio station" when trying to listen to bbc live feeds. Tune in is Crap. There has to be a better solution.
I too would like to add my voice to this request. I have just purchased my first Sonos and am disappointed that I can no longer listen to BBC Radio programmes on Listen Again as I used to be able to with Google Cast.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Ok Ryan
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey Richard,

I know you're hanging on here, and we appreciate it. We don't share details on software development as you know, so we can't let you in on the timetable. Stick with us and we'll let you know anything we can as soon as possible.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
So here we are fast approaching half way through 2016 , well over a year now without BBC listen again services . Surely Sonos have some more info about when this will be implemented now ?

Or is it the usual ' we're working on a solution and will let you know when we have something to report' statement again ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
iplayer radio app works great on android tablet with CCA, podcasts easy to use, so using that instead of pc.
Another vote for inclusion of iPlayer radio in Sonos.
In the meantime, a cheapish workaround exists if you own the Sonos 5 player (which has line in). Today I bought for £14 a Chromecast Audio device from Curry's and plugged this into the 5. The iPlayer has native support for casting to the little Chrome device and it works flawlessly. Just select the line-in input in the Sonos app and you are away, with all of the content and functionality offered by the excellent iPlayer. So far I have had far fewer dropouts while listening to BBC Radio 6 Music - a sadly regular occurrence when listening via Tunein.
Tis just a shame that this isn't offered by Sonos.

Err I was trying to do this at the weekend. BBC iplayer on pc does not support chromecast audio. How did you do it please?

Sonos is an American company, so I guess BBC iplayer is well down their worldwide improvement list...

You'd need to use Chrome as your browser on the PC
I think Sonos is in a difficult spot with iPlayer because BBC is transitioning away from not just the stream formats with HLS (and eventually DASH, start asking Sonos about this niw) - But they are also moving to a new streaming/content API (BBC gave it the awesome name "Nitro").

The old iplayer is working for now on other platforms but we not sure we can expect Sonos to add support for this because BBC have said it will be phased out.

At the same time Sonos or their partners can't add or move the content to Nitro/iPlayer because Nitro has not been released to the public.

Just my opinion on this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just want to add my voice in support of a BBC iplayer app.
It is such a simple thing for sonos to add and would give so many benefits!

So simple that they've been actively working on it with the BBC for the past year or so.

What we know is that Sonos are working to get the listen again and podcasts from the BBC working again via TuneIn. They fixed the live radio stations and at some point will fix the podcasts and listen again.

There has not been any commitment to integrate the BBC Iplayer (Radio) as a music service and any way this would mostly be a BBC thing.

I wouldn't, personally, hold out hope of a BBC Iplayer integration at all.

So simple that they've been actively working on it with the BBC for the past year or so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
In the meantime, a cheapish workaround exists if you own the Sonos 5 player (which has line in). Today I bought for £14 a Chromecast Audio device from Curry's and plugged this into the 5. The iPlayer has native support for casting to the little Chrome device and it works flawlessly. Just select the line-in input in the Sonos app and you are away, with all of the content and functionality offered by the excellent iPlayer. So far I have had far fewer dropouts while listening to BBC Radio 6 Music - a sadly regular occurrence when listening via Tunein.

Err I was trying to do this at the weekend. BBC iplayer on pc does not support chromecast audio. How did you do it please?

Sonos is an American company, so I guess BBC iplayer is well down their worldwide improvement list...
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
BBC iRadio Player PLEASE!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
What has the BBC told you when you asked them to include their service in Sonos?
Userlevel 1
I have also been waiting for SONOS to support BBC Iplayer Radio. SONOS keep telling me that it does provide access to the BBC radio streams via Radio by Tuneln, which works well for live radio streams. However, what Tuneln does not do well is provide access to BBC Radio play it again and podcasts. Tuneln is very hit amd miss about supporting BBC Radio podcasts and very slow in getting play it again BBC Radio programs loaded if they get them at all. This could easily be solved by SONOS by supporting BBC Iplayer in the SONOS App. I suggest SONOS listen to the large number of very annoyed BBC Iplayer users who also have SONOS systems and get it integrated in the SONOS App. As a simple workaround I am using a Google Chromecast Audio plugged into my line-in port and then cast the BBC Iplayer program to SONOS. It works better than a bluetooth device on the line-in port. However, SONOS, please listen to your UK users and get BBC Iplayer radio integrated into your SONOS app. Thanks.
ok, this thread has even more replies than the other one, so let me beg here as well:

Now that you have done the Apple Music integration, can you focus on doing the BBC iPlayer? Pleeeaaase! I finally want to stop listening to the iPlayer app via headphones from my iPhone whilst cooking having a perfectly fine Sonos system sitting there unused.
Has there been any response/acknowledgement from Sonos about this.

See the response by Sonos employee Ryan S back on page 6.
Has there been any response/acknowledgement from Sonos about this. I have recommended to several friends who have commented on my Sonos system that this and other integration issues make Sonos less than ideal, and maybe worth waiting until they have sorted this out. In the mean time there are other options appearing all the time...
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I have just discovered BBC iPlayer Radio on my android phone. I like it. A lot. It is the first thing that I have listened to in a while that is tricky to get on to Sonos. Even if downloaded to my phone I can only play the content on my phone, I can't get it to Sonos.

So I would personally vote for some kind of proper integration which to my mind would be better than adding a selection of podcasts/playlists/programmes to TuneIn.

Or even a button in the iPlayer app that just says stream to Sonos. That would work too!
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Great looking forward to it.
Have never used this means of communication before so made a mistake when I wanted to make another point.
Many thanks for your reply

Don't hold your breath - it's NOT iPlayer - just the same old Tunein listings of bbc material
Great looking forward to it.
Have never used this means of communication before so made a mistake when I wanted to make another point.
Many thanks for your reply
Heard you the first time. Answer's still the same, on-demand content is coming first part of this year.
I'm just giving my support for adding BBC iPlayer to the Sonos app. I've recently joined the 'family' with a Play 5 and Play 1. They are working seamlessly in our house (super kit) but I've had to connect an old iphone 4 to the Play 5 to receive iplayer. This does work quite well but seems to me a tad unnecessary and i would love to have integration with the Sonos app.
It would also be great if a Play 1 could be paired with a PC/ Mac as a speaker. I'm very disappointed that I can't buy another Play 1 for both my husband's and my computers in our separate work rooms.
Please do listen to our UK requests, Sonos, and make your attitude a bit less blinkered and restrictive.
Many thanks,
Janet Elwin