Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
At first I didn't see you could schroll horizontally either, needs some more development that one.
Genius to show me the picture - I didn't see you could scroll horizontally - am all set up and didnt even have to wake my 8 yr old - thanks!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What you need to do is click on TuneIn and then enter in the search box enter what you are looking for and then click the Podcasts & Shows tab and select which one you want.

Once you've found it you can add the show to My Radio Shows (that's why it's empty because you haven't added anything yet).
[quote=Buzzy3]To stream listen again, make sure you are using the latest version of the app and firmware (6.3). All listen again material is available in the Radio section under "Shows". You can search for a show by name and you will find them grouped by recent shows (listen again) or upcoming/now playing.

Thank you very much for replying - when I go to radio shows, it says no selections are available - I must have the updated version as this is all brand new....?
To stream listen again, make sure you are using the latest version of the app and firmware (6.3). All listen again material is available in the Radio section under "Shows". You can search for a show by name and you will find them grouped by recent shows (listen again) or upcoming/now playing.

Thank you very much, I will try this,
So, back in the box my new Sono goes - it's had about 30 minutes of light. Have just spent very happy moments unwrapping and setting up my birthday present. On discovering I can't stream radio easily through it, listen again, iplayer etc, it becomes completely useless to me.

Is this true I can't play listen again? Please can someone tell me before I take it back to the shop......

Don't take this the wrong way but is there any chance you can borrow an 8 year old for half an hour?

Seriously though, live radio is absolutely fantastic. You can get all the BBC stations including the regions and on top of that thousands, some in weird languages like American English. As Maggie mentions you can search for all the podcasts/listen again shows that are available in TuneIn - I'll admit that since Sonos fixed the HLS stream issue for listen again I have noted that the results returned aren't always complete plus I get duplicates. It's probably been like that for a while but I didn't notice because I want using it whilst Sonos wouldn't play them.

Don't give up so easily.

You are so right:) Hasty should be my middle name - I just like my bose speaker where it charges it whilst playing whatever is coming out of my phone...I will persevere, and thanks for the encouragement!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So, back in the box my new Sono goes - it's had about 30 minutes of light. Have just spent very happy moments unwrapping and setting up my birthday present. On discovering I can't stream radio easily through it, listen again, iplayer etc, it becomes completely useless to me.

Is this true I can't play listen again? Please can someone tell me before I take it back to the shop......

Don't take this the wrong way but is there any chance you can borrow an 8 year old for half an hour?

Seriously though, live radio is absolutely fantastic. You can get all the BBC stations including the regions and on top of that thousands, some in weird languages like American English. As Maggie mentions you can search for all the podcasts/listen again shows that are available in TuneIn - I'll admit that since Sonos fixed the HLS stream issue for listen again I have noted that the results returned aren't always complete plus I get duplicates. It's probably been like that for a while but I didn't notice because I want using it whilst Sonos wouldn't play them.

Don't give up so easily.
To stream listen again, make sure you are using the latest version of the app and firmware (6.3). All listen again material is available in the Radio section under "Shows". You can search for a show by name and you will find them grouped by recent shows (listen again) or upcoming/now playing.
OK, have just read the more recent posts and I think I have my answer, back to the shop I go....

Hi Kmag
I'm looking on my mac desktop app. (my last remaining Sonos controller is not as touch sensitive as it should be - I say last because I have had 5 in the past which all eventually failed). Anyway on the desktop app : Radio by Tunein. You will see the list My Radio Stations, My Radio Shows, Local radio etc, Above that list to the right is a search panel where you enter Gilles Petersen or whatever. Once located and playing you can save it to "My Radio Shows". Hope you can get it.

Got it! There's a massive amount of previous Gilles Peterson to chose from, amazing! Thanks so much 🙂
Hi Kmag
I'm looking on my mac desktop app. (my last remaining Sonos controller is not as touch sensitive as it should be - I say last because I have had 5 in the past which all eventually failed). Anyway on the desktop app : Radio by Tunein. You will see the list My Radio Stations, My Radio Shows, Local radio etc, Above that list to the right is a search panel where you enter Gilles Petersen or whatever. Once located and playing you can save it to "My Radio Shows". Hope you can get it.
Thanks Martin. I can't seem to find it on mine though - you mean 'Radio by TuneIn'? Clicking this then Search takes me to Sonos 'stations' search
Hi Kmag, I also like Gilles Petersen and can now get it direct through Sonos. Path - Radio by Tune - then search. I have it saved as one of " My Radio Shows" from way back but it stopped working for a couple of years but is now back. Late Junction and Cerys Mathews also now available.
I have a workaround for those people who would like to listen to iPlayer on their Sonos. It involves downloading the iPlayer show to your device and then playing it as a regular mp3 with Sonos. Far from ideal but it works for me as I just want to listen to Gilles Peterson every week!
1. Download get_Iplayer application (google search it)
2. Follow these instructions https://woodygems.wordpress.com/2013/07/04/how-to-download-for-offline-playing-bbc-tv-or-radio-iplayer-programmes-using-get_iplayer-an-alternative-to-radio-downloader/
3. Copy the dowloaded file to your phone or wherever you have the Sonos app
4. Listen and Enjoy :)
I have a workaround for those people who would like to listen to iPlayer on their Sonos. It involves downloading the iPlayer show to your device and then playing it as a regular mp3 with Sonos. Far from ideal but it works for me as I just want to listen to Gilles Peterson every week!
1. Download get_Iplayer application (google search it)
2. Follow these instructions https://woodygems.wordpress.com/2013/07/04/how-to-download-for-offline-playing-bbc-tv-or-radio-iplayer-programmes-using-get_iplayer-an-alternative-to-radio-downloader/
3. Copy the dowloaded file to your phone or wherever you have the Sonos app
4. Listen and Enjoy 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Hooray and at last BBC iplayer is back directly via the controller. Let's hope it stays this time. And if it was you KS, thanks

What the heck are you talking about?

There is no BBC iPlayer .... just Tunein feeds.

That's NOT iPlayer
^^Huh?
Hooray and at last BBC iplayer is back directly via the controller. Let's hope it stays this time. And if it was you KS, thanks

A lot of people have been asking for BBC iPlayer Radio. Since Sonos only appear to respond to new posts I have decided to suggest this again. 
None of the responses from Sonos on this is issue so far have been satisfactory. These have included:
- Apple Licensing. This is irrelevant and probably indicates that Sonos don't actually know what iPlayer Radio is.
- Use Apple AirPlay. No. I am not going to go and spend a load more money on some other system because the one I bought off you doesn't do what it is meant to do.
- Plug a separate source into a Sonos amp or speaker. No. This is meant to be a wireless system so I am not going plug a wire into it to make it work. Further, the system is meant to work from one control panel. That's one of the features. So I don't want to have to work it through two control panels.

What people want to know is if Sonos HAVE ANY PLANS TO PROVIDE iPlayer or is it just OFF THE TABLE? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Hopefully one day google casting will be able to cast to sonos from native apps like iplayer. not just the one GPM android app. Seeing as google has sold 55million of these little chromecast devices, it would make sonos more attractive to households that already have them.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Even now that we have HLS streams and, even if TuneIn sort out getting all of the shows from the beeb, it is still a rubbish user experience for finding radio catch up content.

I used to use squeeze box and had an amazing plugin that allowed me to browse by station, by date, by category etc.

Either write a decent BBC catch-up sonos service with a UI that is useful, or, preferably, open up your streaming API so that people like the BBC can add a stream to Sonos feature. Google Play Music has such a button, why can't other media providers?

Squeezebox still has the amazing iplayer plugin - on-demand by day, channel, category, etc. And in DASH format. Live BBC in Dash also with option to play-back in delayed steps. Forgot that the BBC 4 One O'clock News began 10 mins. ago? No sweat - just play back from start-time.

All this is available if you turn your Sonos speaker into a squeezebox player using the LMS upnpbridge plugin.

The Sonos app is okay for live streams, but dismal for on-demand.
Even now that we have HLS streams and, even if TuneIn sort out getting all of the shows from the beeb, it is still a rubbish user experience for finding radio catch up content.

I used to use squeeze box and had an amazing plugin that allowed me to browse by station, by date, by category etc.

Either write a decent BBC catch-up sonos service with a UI that is useful, or, preferably, open up your streaming API so that people like the BBC can add a stream to Sonos feature. Google Play Music has such a button, why can't other media providers?
blitheringeejit,

Check the Announcements page. The BBC HLS on-demand functionality is now in public beta.
And another one - please add me to the list of those who won't buy any more Sonos kit until you get full iPlayer support working. The point of the iPlayer isn't just to stream live stations - we are in the UK, and we get most of those over the broadcast systems anyway. Most iPlayer use is for on-demand listening, so that's what your app needs to support - or at least it should provide a gateway for the iPlayer audio output into the Sonos stream.

I appreciate RyanS's "please bear with us" comment, but this thread is now two years old, so "we can't tell you when it will happen" is wearing a bit thin,

Actually I think I might just open up my Play:1, find the feed to the power amp, solder in a couple of external phono sockets, then connect up a $15 bluetooth interface to it. The wifi stuff is all very clever-clever, but the main result is that it doesn't allow me to listen to what I mostly want to listen to, which is YouTube videos and the iPlayer. It would be very nice if I could just use the darn thing as a bluetooth speaker as well, even if there was a small loss in audio quality.

NB don't try this at home, it will invalidate your warranty, and possibly kill you if you forget to unplug the unit first. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Assuming you are up to date on the Sonos software and firmware then there will be an issue with your system.

I suggest you post a topic in the Troubleshooting section and submit a diagnostic number in there.

Agreed. We'd be happy to take a look at your setup. Also, if you can run a speedtest and pingtest on your system when you're having trouble that'd be great.

Just a note, if you've been playing out of your Radio Favorites, it's good practice to remove those favorites and search for the station again. This will make sure you get the best possible streams at the time.