Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Worth anyone interested in getting an iplayer app for Sonos to post a comment on the telegraph article here where Sonos CEO says they embrace Apple and extols the virtue of BBCs raido....: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/11671181/Sonos-CEO-We-would-embrace-Apple-Music.html or on their twitter account: @Sonos or if you have LinkedIn directly to the CEO here: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-macfarlane/20/8aa/8a
Tweet the journalist, Sophie Curtis @scurtsy to inform her of her error. Is this something trading standards would be interested in? Anyone got John McFaralne's twitter address?
The issue is getting worse,  there used to be some items (the infinite monkey cage for example) on podcasts however it seems  fewer and fewer programs are available?   

This along with parental filters seem a quick and easy fix, yet once again focus seems to be on redesigning the user interface than on functionality.

I can only conclude the man is either supernaturally deluded - or he's a psychopath.
Badge
was just about to post that I'd been listening to radio 4 trouble free this morning .... when it cut out again.  Still, 30 minutes is pretty good for tunein's bbc suport.   And there is the nub of the problem; sonos are hand in glove with tunein as their radio partner and tunein can't handle bbc radio.  In this respect it's out of sonos' hands.  

The crappiness of tunein at getting catchup radio is no new thing since the streaming protocol changed;  it's always been very poor.  Go along to the tunein website using a pc - it's the same as trying to use it via sonos.

A native iplayer app to go along with amazon and spotify is probably what we need ... but presumably those companies pay sonos to host them and the BBC will not (nor should it) - and maybe sonos' mates at tunein would complain about being bypassed.

Back to my nice old Pure Evoke DAB radio.
Userlevel 3
It's not just BBC services, it seems that Tunein sucks across the board. At my office we have a Sonos that also keeps cutting out on various independent music stations, starts stuttering and goes dead about once an hour. Bordering on un-usable. And that's with a very good high-speed internet connection.
Userlevel 3
Badge
drop outs on Tunein have been very bad today - BBC Radio stuttered and dropped out multiple times between 7am and 9am UK time.   As you say this is becoming unusable and I rely on it to wake me up as my alarm setting.
Tunein might be crap, but this thread is for BBC iPlayer radio App integration.

But anyway, Sonos have been ignoring their UK customers for years over this, and now their CEO has allowed an article to be published that is extremely misleading. Predictably, I've no response from tweets to John MacFarlane, Sonos Support or the journalist who wrote the article.

I am waiting for one of their competitors to integrate with iPlayer to allow their customers to 'listen again', then I'll sell my Sonos kit.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

But anyway, Sonos have been ignoring their UK customers for years over this, and now their CEO has allowed an article to be published that is extremely misleading. Predictably, I've no response from tweets to John MacFarlane, Sonos Support or the journalist who wrote the article.

I am waiting for one of their competitors to integrate with iPlayer to allow their customers to 'listen again', then I'll sell my Sonos kit.

TuneIn is Sonos's chosen partner for internet radio. It's worth highlighting how inadequate the service is if only to show how badly an integrated BBC Radio app is needed. Even before all the BBC shenanigans, TuneIn was, at best, a bit flaky.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Tune in is a cataloging source for finding internet radio streams. Tunein links you direct to the stations streaming feed. Breakups are a result of connection or issue with the stations feed itself. Tunein is not serving the music or re-encoding in any way. If a station you listen to is having difficulty. First thing i would do is go on a computer and link direct to via he station website and see if an issue there. If no issue on the station feed through a computer hen troubleshoot if Sonos is getting a bad connection to the Internet. If have similar issues with the station feed on your computer contact the staton.

No. I have done this and my computer streams BBC live perfectly well while the Sonos speakers stutter and splutter. It's something to do with how tuneinn and/or Sonos cock up caching/proxying/whatever.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Inwouldnsubmit a diagnostic and call Sonos for them to review the connectivity.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Wait. Ok I was just quickly answering. BBC is completely different issue. See BBC threads. Until Sonos adds HLS support you need to run minimserver on your computer for Sonos to be able to access the new BBC feeds your computer does already.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I agree with Bokkiedog. Back when you could listen to on-demand BBC streams via Sonos/TuneIn, it would frequently drop out and then would often fail with 'file not found' when you would try to start it up again. Whereas listening via the computer was a far better experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

We don't know what on demand functionality will be back with the new HLS streams. Doesn't sound like it was ever very good even pre-HLS issue.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

That's exactly the point, Chris. If Sonos think they can cobble together a solution using TuneIn, they need to think again. I know they are different styles of device, but what is needed is something similar to the interface on Logitech Squeezebox allowing both live and on-demand BBC streaming - and it works brilliantly (and now!)

Chris, are you paid by Sonos for your sterling propaganda efforts, or are you just a star-struck fanboy? Your attempts in this (and other) threads to defend the indefensible is almost heroic 🙂

Chris, are you paid by Sonos for your sterling propaganda efforts, or are you just a star-struck fanboy? Your attempts in this (and other) threads to defend the indefensible is almost heroic 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I just state the facts as they are. I do.not work for Sonos and I also don't appreciate the personal insults. Realize other people read this forum wanting to know current solutions and facts as well as current status.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I've had exactly the same problem. My BBC radio app works flawlessly , it all goes wrong when i stream via tune in via sonos or the stand alone app .
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Chris, I think there's something about the little cup and the word 'Champion' that winds people up for some reason . . .
Badge

"Champions:
Respected and trusted members of the community appointed by the company to help provide expert advice to customers"

Some people achieve greatness, others have greatness thrust upon them.  He maybe didn't choose the label (and certainly not the little cup!)
Badge
I does strike me that others DO have a BBC problem too.  

EG Virgin Media from whom I buy broadband and cable TV.  The Tivo box has an iPlayer App that allows access to a reduced range of live and catchup programs and which constantly freezes up .. we sometimes resort to plugging a laptop into the TV and running iPlayer on that - upon which it works almost flawlessly .... which is really weird as the data for the laptop and the Tivo box are coming down the same cable from the same server, only the laptop's data also has to come through the home wifi network!  

So having a dedicated app won't necessarily solve everything.  And frankly I'd like it all integrated rather than having to use a separate services.  Just MHO.  An app would be great if it worked. I want my radios 3, 4 & 6 back - especially as I can't get 6 by routing the FM tuner as a line-in to a connect in a different room ...
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I does strike me that others DO have a BBC problem too.  

EG Virgin Media from whom I buy broadband and cable TV.  The Tivo box has an iPlayer App that allows access to a reduced range of live and catchup programs and which constantly freezes up .. we sometimes resort to plugging a laptop into the TV and running iPlayer on that - upon which it works almost flawlessly .... which is really weird as the data for the laptop and the Tivo box are coming down the same cable from the same server, only the laptop's data also has to come through the home wifi network!  

So having a dedicated app won't necessarily solve everything.  And frankly I'd like it all integrated rather than having to use a separate services.  Just MHO.  An app would be great if it worked. I want my radios 3, 4 & 6 back - especially as I can't get 6 by routing the FM tuner as a line-in to a connect in a different room ...

Nick, you're right. AFAIK there is no comparable device to Sonos which has an integrated BBC iPlayer app. So there's no use people threatening to "sell all my Sonos kit" - where would they go?
The Minimserver workaround and Logitech, for example, require an additional server on which to run (a PC or a Raspberry Pi)

It has nothing to do with your broadband or wifi connection. It all boils down to the chipsets included in the devices. I suspect they're just not up to the job of running the necessary codecs to have a BBC iPlayer Radio app or even to decode the new BBC HLS streams. (Although in the latter case, Sonos have said there's no reason to think that as they are already able to decode similar streams).
But if you think about it, they probably never envisaged such an app at the design stage so would have economised on the chipset accordingly. I hope I'm wrong about this, but the longer this goes on, the more concerned I am getting.

The problem with being an early-adopter of technology is that you have to upgrade at some point and this, in the case of Sonos, could be an expensive decision to make.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

i see you follow all my work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I did not chose the title description