Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

I can not believe this.

I'm getting one a Play1 for Christmas. Or at least I was. All I wanted was to stream BBC Radio 6 Music to a decent wireless speaker. I've heard great things about Sonos but not being able to stream BBC. That's bananas!!

I agree, tunein app is terrible. Takes ages to connect and often crashes.

Come on Sonos. Listen to your market!!!

Sonos streams live BBC content just fine. It also streams some of the play again content, but not all. What it doesn't do is stream from iPlayer or have all the bells and whistles. If all you want is to stream BBC 6, Sonos does that just fine, regardless of the complaints in this thread.
If Sonos was a UK company, this would have been dealt with without any interruption to the service. I highly recommend not buying Sonos if you are in the UK. I've already plastered this all over Facebook so my friends don't make the same mistake. It's not like we're talking about a small time local radio station here. They can't even sort out BBC Radio.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A very uninformed post. Many British companies were caught off guard and also lost service.
A very uninformed post. Many British companies were caught off guard and also lost service.
Not really. In the UK the top four listened to stations are from the BBC with a combined audience of over 43m. If this were a UK company trying to sell in the UK a product that didn't deliver the BBC stations correctly, well it doesn't take a genius to work it out. Please can you list me the UK companies with competing products to Sonos, so that we can all be educated about other poor speaker systems?
Badge
Oh yes and pay the monthly google play fee to listen to free radio!
You misunderstood the post.  John is stating that since Sonos can be cast to from the Google Play Music app (which, by the way, is free for your own Cloud library), maybe in the future a Sonos/Chromecast solution can be found that will allow you to stream from any app, including BBC iPlayer.
Badge
... and just to add to my previous comments; BBC radio is now virtually un-listenable-to using TuneIn, especially in the evenings; it just keeps cutting out.  I've resorted to plugging a digital radio into the back of my connect amp ... not ideal.
I started my planned Sonos system last year with two Play 1s with the intention of adding more but with the loss of BBC Radio iPlayer I have put it on hold.  Like another user suggests I have connected an iPad to access BBC radio on-demand to input to a radio in order to use this bery useful service.
1) BBC iRadio was never supported, so I can't see how you could have a "loss".

2) You own 2 Play:1's, neither of which have a line in, so how exactly are you connecting the iPad?
Userlevel 2
1. Francis says "I have connected an iPad to access BBC radio on-demand to input to a radio". Radio. Not play1. Radio.
The issue is getting worse,  there used to be some items (the infinite monkey cage for example) on podcasts however it seems  fewer and fewer programs are available?   

This along with parental filters seem a quick and easy fix, yet once again focus seems to be on redesigning the user interface than on functionality.
The issue is getting worse,  there used to be some items (the infinite monkey cage for example) on podcasts however it seems  fewer and fewer programs are available?   

This along with parental filters seem a quick and easy fix, yet once again focus seems to be on redesigning the user interface than on functionality.

It is ironic that when there are so many complaints about BBC iPlayer and Sonos that The Daily Telegraph published an article (paid-for advertising?) in Monday 15 June edition extolling the advantages of Sonos and it’s use (among others) to listen to the BBC. 

It quotes John MacFarlane, co-founder and chief executive, “When a person buys a Sonos, the first thing they typically do is add their music collection and then they add an on-demand service”.

The article then goes on to say that in Britain, which is the second largest market for Sonos, how popular internet radio is thanks to BBC iPlayer.

It is indeed about time that those of us who bought Sonos for, as well as accessing our music collections, listening to BBC on-demand catch-up services via BBC iPlayer should be able to do so!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Worth anyone interested in getting an iplayer app for Sonos to post a comment on the telegraph article here where Sonos CEO says they embrace Apple and extols the virtue of BBCs raido....: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/11671181/Sonos-CEO-We-would-embrace-Apple-Music.html or on their twitter account: @Sonos or if you have LinkedIn directly to the CEO here: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-macfarlane/20/8aa/8a
Tweet the journalist, Sophie Curtis @scurtsy to inform her of her error. Is this something trading standards would be interested in? Anyone got John McFaralne's twitter address?

I can only conclude the man is either supernaturally deluded - or he's a psychopath.
Badge
was just about to post that I'd been listening to radio 4 trouble free this morning .... when it cut out again.  Still, 30 minutes is pretty good for tunein's bbc suport.   And there is the nub of the problem; sonos are hand in glove with tunein as their radio partner and tunein can't handle bbc radio.  In this respect it's out of sonos' hands.  

The crappiness of tunein at getting catchup radio is no new thing since the streaming protocol changed;  it's always been very poor.  Go along to the tunein website using a pc - it's the same as trying to use it via sonos.

A native iplayer app to go along with amazon and spotify is probably what we need ... but presumably those companies pay sonos to host them and the BBC will not (nor should it) - and maybe sonos' mates at tunein would complain about being bypassed.

Back to my nice old Pure Evoke DAB radio.
Userlevel 3
It's not just BBC services, it seems that Tunein sucks across the board. At my office we have a Sonos that also keeps cutting out on various independent music stations, starts stuttering and goes dead about once an hour. Bordering on un-usable. And that's with a very good high-speed internet connection.
Userlevel 3
Badge
drop outs on Tunein have been very bad today - BBC Radio stuttered and dropped out multiple times between 7am and 9am UK time.   As you say this is becoming unusable and I rely on it to wake me up as my alarm setting.
Tunein might be crap, but this thread is for BBC iPlayer radio App integration.

But anyway, Sonos have been ignoring their UK customers for years over this, and now their CEO has allowed an article to be published that is extremely misleading. Predictably, I've no response from tweets to John MacFarlane, Sonos Support or the journalist who wrote the article.

I am waiting for one of their competitors to integrate with iPlayer to allow their customers to 'listen again', then I'll sell my Sonos kit.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

But anyway, Sonos have been ignoring their UK customers for years over this, and now their CEO has allowed an article to be published that is extremely misleading. Predictably, I've no response from tweets to John MacFarlane, Sonos Support or the journalist who wrote the article.

I am waiting for one of their competitors to integrate with iPlayer to allow their customers to 'listen again', then I'll sell my Sonos kit.

TuneIn is Sonos's chosen partner for internet radio. It's worth highlighting how inadequate the service is if only to show how badly an integrated BBC Radio app is needed. Even before all the BBC shenanigans, TuneIn was, at best, a bit flaky.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Tune in is a cataloging source for finding internet radio streams. Tunein links you direct to the stations streaming feed. Breakups are a result of connection or issue with the stations feed itself. Tunein is not serving the music or re-encoding in any way. If a station you listen to is having difficulty. First thing i would do is go on a computer and link direct to via he station website and see if an issue there. If no issue on the station feed through a computer hen troubleshoot if Sonos is getting a bad connection to the Internet. If have similar issues with the station feed on your computer contact the staton.

No. I have done this and my computer streams BBC live perfectly well while the Sonos speakers stutter and splutter. It's something to do with how tuneinn and/or Sonos cock up caching/proxying/whatever.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Inwouldnsubmit a diagnostic and call Sonos for them to review the connectivity.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Wait. Ok I was just quickly answering. BBC is completely different issue. See BBC threads. Until Sonos adds HLS support you need to run minimserver on your computer for Sonos to be able to access the new BBC feeds your computer does already.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I agree with Bokkiedog. Back when you could listen to on-demand BBC streams via Sonos/TuneIn, it would frequently drop out and then would often fail with 'file not found' when you would try to start it up again. Whereas listening via the computer was a far better experience.