Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

BBC IPlayer is the service I listen to most often here in the US, so it is a huge disappointment that it is not available through Sonos. I recently wrote Sonos on this issue and received this reply yesterday (2/20/15). Based on this, it seems to me everyone who has this concern should voice it until and unless the problem is solved:

We love to hear your requests about BBC IPlayer as it helps us in providing you with the best possible experience with our products. We are always listening and updating our products with feature enhancements and releases. At the moment we do not have plans of adding BBC iPlayer to Sonos as it is also up to BBC to allow us access to there server, never the less, I have forwarded your request on to our Product Management team to ensure the people that can make the difference view your request.

Have you heard about ask.sonos.com?

It is a place where you can share ideas like this with other Sonos customers and our development teams. Other customers can follow your idea and the more people that follow it; the likelier it is that it gets implemented. 

To post an idea, you simply go to https://ask.sonos.com and click the “Share an idea” button to start sharing your idea.
In general the Sonos team seems to be quite out of touch with its customer base and how people listen to their music. Do these people actually use the product at home? 
Agree that the lack of iplayer support is very disappointing. Actually considering selling my sonos gear and finding an alternative that does offer iplayer support.
Susan, thanks for your post.  which email did you write to?  be good to refer them to this thread.  As it doesn't appear that Sonos read there own forum as have approximately 40 existing customers on here giving them feedback and it seems like its been completely ignored.  I personally would have spent another $2000 on a new system for my home to add to my work system.  But obviously they have enough cash rolling and don't care.  best Cass
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They are currently working hard to implement HLS streaming of BBC in order to access the new BBC streams - which is the most important step in further BBC implementation.  Sonos has been responding to this frequently.
Userlevel 2
Sorry if I'm being dim but please can you add links to where Sonos are "responding to this frequently" as I've seen nothing from Sonos on this at all? Many thanks.
That at least sounds positive 🙂 in fact, the most positive thing on this thread for ages!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
here you go:
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/bbc-radio-no-longer-provides-this-service-in-the-windows-media-fo...

however, "Sonos is in the early planning stages for adding support for HLS" so dont expect anything to change too soon
Userlevel 2
Thank you for that. I suggest we start posting our complaints under that thread instead since at least it does seem to be being read by someone at Sonos, though of course they have no date for sorting anything out...
for android users google play using chromecast to connect to individual sonos components. The bbc radio player supports chromecast so the functionality is very close to being in place. Is this not a viable option
As google music now connects to sonos via the chromecast icon this could be a way forward by using the bbc radio app which supports chromecast already but I expect it is all to do with licensing. I agree that tune In is useless for historical programmes.
The problems with Tune In now also seem to include rights issues with regard to sporting events... until recently I could listen to live football commentary on BBC's Radio 5 Live and instead am now treated to a looped message saying they are unable to offer the service. Really frustrating that there doesn't seem to be an alternative radio app...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ben This has been the issue now for several months. The BBC changed over their local streams to a format using HLS that most internet radios can not play. Sonos is working on the fix and BBC has hinted they may bring back the local streams soon in a playable format. Sonos has not given timetable on the fix that will enable the HLS streams. There is a master thread in the subject that sonos has been updating as they have more news.
Sonos will act with weight of opinion behind an idea. I've been struggling to get a steady BBC radio signal and I believe an App to the BBC iPlayer in the controller would be great and solve my problems. So why not Sonos? also, why not BBC?
If Sonos was a UK company, this would have been dealt with without any interruption to the service. I highly recommend not buying Sonos if you are in the UK. I've already plastered this all over Facebook so my friends don't make the same mistake. It's not like we're talking about a small time local radio station here. They can't even sort out BBC Radio.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A very uninformed post. Many British companies were caught off guard and also lost service.
A very uninformed post. Many British companies were caught off guard and also lost service.
Not really. In the UK the top four listened to stations are from the BBC with a combined audience of over 43m. If this were a UK company trying to sell in the UK a product that didn't deliver the BBC stations correctly, well it doesn't take a genius to work it out. Please can you list me the UK companies with competing products to Sonos, so that we can all be educated about other poor speaker systems?
Badge
Oh yes and pay the monthly google play fee to listen to free radio!
You misunderstood the post.  John is stating that since Sonos can be cast to from the Google Play Music app (which, by the way, is free for your own Cloud library), maybe in the future a Sonos/Chromecast solution can be found that will allow you to stream from any app, including BBC iPlayer.
Badge
... and just to add to my previous comments; BBC radio is now virtually un-listenable-to using TuneIn, especially in the evenings; it just keeps cutting out.  I've resorted to plugging a digital radio into the back of my connect amp ... not ideal.
I started my planned Sonos system last year with two Play 1s with the intention of adding more but with the loss of BBC Radio iPlayer I have put it on hold.  Like another user suggests I have connected an iPad to access BBC radio on-demand to input to a radio in order to use this bery useful service.
1) BBC iRadio was never supported, so I can't see how you could have a "loss".

2) You own 2 Play:1's, neither of which have a line in, so how exactly are you connecting the iPad?
Userlevel 2
1. Francis says "I have connected an iPad to access BBC radio on-demand to input to a radio". Radio. Not play1. Radio.
The issue is getting worse,  there used to be some items (the infinite monkey cage for example) on podcasts however it seems  fewer and fewer programs are available?   

This along with parental filters seem a quick and easy fix, yet once again focus seems to be on redesigning the user interface than on functionality.
The issue is getting worse,  there used to be some items (the infinite monkey cage for example) on podcasts however it seems  fewer and fewer programs are available?   

This along with parental filters seem a quick and easy fix, yet once again focus seems to be on redesigning the user interface than on functionality.

It is ironic that when there are so many complaints about BBC iPlayer and Sonos that The Daily Telegraph published an article (paid-for advertising?) in Monday 15 June edition extolling the advantages of Sonos and it’s use (among others) to listen to the BBC. 

It quotes John MacFarlane, co-founder and chief executive, “When a person buys a Sonos, the first thing they typically do is add their music collection and then they add an on-demand service”.

The article then goes on to say that in Britain, which is the second largest market for Sonos, how popular internet radio is thanks to BBC iPlayer.

It is indeed about time that those of us who bought Sonos for, as well as accessing our music collections, listening to BBC on-demand catch-up services via BBC iPlayer should be able to do so!