Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

This is profoundly frustrating. But worse is the total lack of concern or attention shown by SONOS. For years, this has been requested. In the early days, SONOS replied - albeit confusedly and inadequately. Now it does not reply at all. The whole philosophy of the prison-garden app is hideous. This is the most obvious manifestation of it. That SONOS have spent years getting nowhere here whilst many of their open-source competitors have achieved this service without breaking a sweat is testament to the rotten core of their restrictive model. Shame.
Sonos Play 1 newly purchased, and I am very disappointed to learn that "listen again" on BBC iplayer is not available. Will certainly not invest in expanding my system until it is, and will advise others to make wiser purchases.
Sonos Play 1 newly purchased, and I am very disappointed to find that the BBC iPlayer "listen again" function is not available. I shall not invest in expanding my system until it is, and I shall advise others to make a wiser purchase.
Another +1 on the issue. Being unable to listen again to BBC radio shows is beyond frustrating. I was going to add another speaker to my system for xmas but this ongoing issue has put me off   
Userlevel 1
Likewise.  I have two pair of Sonos 1s and was planning to add a Playbar and Sub as a self Christmas present but have now put Sonos on hold while I look around for a system which will access BBC radio iPlayer.
Likewise. 
Sonos, you are losing customers here - PLEASE FIX!
Agree, really frustrated at not been able to listen again.  Please sort this out.
I have posted above and have been pondering Sonos disgraceful lack of response. I wonder if we should take our complaints onto a more public platform so I'm off to Tweet @Sonos. Why no think about joining me to highlight this major shortcoming by Sonos for UK customers? Tintin
I submitted diagnostics to Sonos support over a month ago when TuneIn failed to play anything from recent shows. The response from Sonos was that TuneIn were aware of the problem and looking into it. It should not take so long to fix code that you've broken. They could start by looking at why none of the show lists are refreshed, then at least we know we are dealing with a current URL to an iPlayer show. For the time being I have to revert to using get_iPlayer to record to my music library and select from there. That's a horribly clunky solution, so come on Sonos and TuneIn, get your software to do what you intend it to do at least. Then you can get it to do some of the other things we'd like it to do. I have been a Sonos user and advocate since 2005, but I am losing patience with the speed of your response to fix this issue. Demonstrate that you are taking it seriously please.
Userlevel 1
New Sonos owner here. I knew about this issue when I purchased the system, under the hope that an iPlayer app will be forthcoming. The BBC are very engaged in making their services accessible to through as many channels as possible, and have worked to create links between their services and other third parties, such as spotify. Step up Sonos, and sort it out!
Userlevel 2
I have posted above and have been pondering Sonos disgraceful lack of response. I wonder if we should take our complaints onto a more public platform so I'm off to Tweet @Sonos. Why no think about joining me to highlight this major shortcoming by Sonos for UK customers? Tintin
Good plan. Don't forget @sonos and @sonossupport. Maybe this will help if we all do it - worth a try anyway!
I'm just looking at the speakers on the market and this will be a game changer for me. A certain Dab company seems to run a speaker with wifi and Bluetooth. Don't know why sonos can't! If they said it was on the cards I'd hold on.
Thanks for this workaround! Much appreciated.  
Just to add another "me too", the lack of decent or working BBC iPlayer Radio support on Sonos is the one thing I warn my friends about when they consider purchasing a Sonos. When I got my first Play1 (last Christmas) I'm sure it was advertised with the BBC iPlayer logo (though that seems to have quietly been removed).

When it works, the TuneIn service is almost adequate, but not nearly as useful as a proper iPlayer Radio service would be. I guess it might be as simple as it doesn't make financial sense for Sonos to invest time and effort to support a local broadcaster. If we were to get ours, presumably owners in other countries would expect the same for their state broadcaster (assuming such things exist).

Neil
Just to add another "me too", the lack of decent or working BBC iPlayer Radio support on Sonos is the one thing I warn my friends about when they consider purchasing a Sonos. When I got my first Play1 (last Christmas) I'm sure it was advertised with the BBC iPlayer logo (though that seems to have quietly been removed).

When it works, the TuneIn service is almost adequate, but not nearly as useful as a proper iPlayer Radio service would be. I guess it might be as simple as it doesn't make financial sense for Sonos to invest time and effort to support a local broadcaster. If we were to get ours, presumably owners in other countries would expect the same for their state broadcaster (assuming such things exist).

Neil

A message to Sonos. I just purchased a 4x speaker system for work to only realise I can't use iplayer which is really annoying. I was going to buy a 6 x speaker system for home but will not be purchasing anymore sonos products until they sort out this bbc iplayer app, it's incredible that the major broadcaster in the UK is not supported. You are losing a lot of business throuimo not providing this service and in turn the poor word of mouth in the UK. Please fix ASAP, BEST CASSIUS
Userlevel 1
Well what do you know? I just tried my normal use as above (that hasn't worked for months) and lo and behold, the Tunein listen again service seems to have been restored to its previous state; I managed to play 3 out of the 4 streams that I tried (all were from Sunday 28 December 2014) the 4th would have been from the previous day, but there was no program shown as available, so may be it will now work from Sunday? Obviously still had trouble skipping forwards, and 'cannot connect to Tunein' but overall something positive... Currently enjoying Guy Garvey on 6music (bbc) 🙂
The one thing that really bugs me in all this, is that the search is so clunky and unreliable in sonos/tunein. I can go to iplayer, find the exact show name, date of broadcast etc, check it is available online, but still not locate it in sonos.
However, for those shows that do get found, sonos plays them well and reliably.
I have the 4 speaker Sonos system up and running at my retail shop in London after a few teething problems.  
I completely agree - I have a 5 speaker sonos system at home and am bitterly disappointed that the iplayer app is not supported - I've spent a lot of money on your products sonos...come on, do the right thing by your customers.
Userlevel 2
Badge
You may not get any BBC Radio on your SONOS soon, have a read of this http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/977a1954-658f-4fb2-a23c-71680c49882f

The BBC have pulled the plug on AAC/WMA streams, they have replaced them with a new format that is not supported by SONOS/tunein, to allow people to move away from legacy equipment (Sonos?) the BBC plan to offer low quality mp3 streams for at least a year, then pull the plug on that. If Sonos is unable to offer a software fix to receive HLS/DASH then bye-bye BBC Radio from SONOS.
Userlevel 3
I have the 4 speaker Sonos system up and running at my retail shop in London after a few teething problems.  
Keith and "Mr", Have you considered that maybe it's the iplayer which doesn't support Sonos rather than other way round? Sonos provide an api to music(radio) integrators, http://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=node/21, so in theory the BBC could do something. The BBC already provide support for Chromecast from the iplayer TV app and by association Sonos, it surely isn't a massive leap to support the same from the Radio app. But, given the issues of politics, product favoritism, day of the week, colour of Chief Directors underpants or general apathy which I'm sure all have to be considered, I wouldn't hold your breath. On another note Sonos are allegedly looking for api developers/testers and with the possibility of a public api who knows what could be possible. No idea how far this will go as there are very few details around. Search for 'Sonos api' on Google or 'api' on this forum. If true, then in theory anyone could integrate with Sonos. I would suggest you petition the BBC rather than Sonos to provide this integration. Perhaps the BBC will support the forthcoming Google Cast, perhaps Sonos will support Google Cast, perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. Who knows what tomorrow will bring! 🙂 Graham
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I'm having exactly same problem and since about 7 days ago cannot access any bbc programmes via the tune in . Bloody annoying and also would never of purchased a sonos had I of known !
Completely agree
Hey Graham, thanks for your reply.  In the UK BBC iplayer is massively popular and a brilliant resource for great radio shows.  I would say far more listeners than spotify and deezer(?!) put together.  It would make good business sense for the SONOS to support the iplayer directly like Spotify.  It would only bolster SONOS sales and not deplete it.  I wonder wether it has something to do with copyright or some weird walled garden SONOS think they are building.  I would have purchased £1500 worth of speakers now if they supported but WONT without.  I can make do at work without it.  JUST DO IT, Thanks Cass
Userlevel 1
Badge
Seems Sonos don't respond to their community.... agree with everything that's been said. SOnos system is so good and so easy/simple to install yet so frustrating when simple feeds such as streaming radio dont work. iplayer is the obvious choice
This situation - and the complete silence from Sonos - is very frustrating. Everyone knows the hardware is great and on the whole the software works well enough but if Sonos would provide access to the iPlayer for those who can use it (i.e. people in the UK!) and improve the Spotify interface to match the native Spotify app it would be the two largest bugbears addressed and lead to happier users rather than an increasingly grouchy body of complainers including myself.