Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It's easier now for the.bbc because all they need to do is incorporate Sonos casting ability into the iplayer app like Spotify has done vs having to write new app for within the Sonos app. That is why users should make their voice heard with the BBC that they want this feature incorporated in their app.
I've purchased a Bose. Sonos is far too much of a faff!

I also have a DJ set up in another room that was becoming too complicated to link to a sonos but with a Bose and a £20 Bluetooth transmitter this issue is resolved.

I'm a tech geek but within a day of looking into sonos I was dramatically put off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not sure what a Faff is but probably not flattering. Sonos isn't for every need. It fulfills the need of many people but some people will find other solutions are better for their situation. Doesn't mean Sonos is not the best option for other people's needs.
Bose is fine if Bluetooth is what you need. They don't have near as many music services, so native app support is a plus. But I suspect Sonos' Direct Control could tip the scales back in that area. The real problem is it's been plagued by reports of unreliability, and the entire SoundTouch line is on its third revamp since it was introduced in 2013. Three different versions in a little over 3 years would worry me, but good luck with your choice.
Can I add another plea for BBC iPlayer integration with SONOS systems? It's such a big gap in the UK market and means I won't be expanding my set up any further.
SONOS - can you break your silence and give us a statement on iPlayer please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
They will say their API is open to everyone.
Funny that every service is paid for subscription (we will see with Pandora), so everybody makes something out of it. The bbc cannot charge sonos users, and will not fund linking to every eco system out there, lg, sony heos etc etc
The bbc are already casting to the biggest, google cromecast, so sonos needs to join that through google home hopefully.
Paul,

You have been repeatedly corrected, in very plain English, by Sonos representatives, on your constant insinuations that Sonos somehow derives income from paid services. Once again, "everybody" most certainly does not "make something out of it" because Sonos makes nothing, no fees, no kickbacks, no anything from its music partners. Since you have been corrected multiple times before on this issue, I can't help but think you are no longer simply speculating, but have now moved on to willful misinformation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is up to BBC users to push BBC to implement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm not sure what a Faff is but probably not flattering. .

"Faff" means something that is a pain in the neck, needlessly complicated or convoluted. So it's fine!
They will say their API is open to everyone.
Funny that every service is paid for subscription (we will see with Pandora), so everybody makes something out of it. The bbc cannot charge sonos users, and will not fund linking to every eco system out there, lg, sony heos etc etc
The bbc are already casting to the biggest, google cromecast, so sonos needs to join that through google home hopefully.

It is a good point Paulw123. BBC is not like the other streaming services and you are right that they can't support all the other systems.
I'm not sure what the issue with "makes something out of it" that the other poster has, when clearly Sonos makes money by selling units to subscribers of streaming services. Sonos sells boxes, services sell subscriptions. You are right, it is not the same thing with BBC.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
jgatie, I have accepted sonos make no financial gains from service providers, that was not what I meant.
As above poster, there is a "marriage" if you like, between streaming device manufacturers and streaming services, they both gain, that's just good business for both right? drives sales for both, that's why apple have a sonos display in all their stores, they compliment each other.
I just can't see how the BBC can fit in this "marriage".
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes BBC isn't all about driving sales so much but they don need to listen to customer input and therefore the best approach continues to be to ask BBC for support. Sonos appears well aware of customer desire and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they have approached BBC about including them in the BBC iplayer for direct streaming. Just like I expect they have gone to audible as well. But the BBC needs reason to put the time into integrating Sonos direct support into their app. Therefore plead your case to the BBC.
jgatie, I have accepted sonos make no financial gains from service providers, that was not what I meant.
As above poster, there is a "marriage" if you like, between streaming device manufacturers and streaming services, they both gain, that's just good business for both right? drives sales for both, that's why apple have a sonos display in all their stores, they compliment each other.
I just can't see how the BBC can fit in this "marriage".

I apologize. Though you have to admit describing the fact "every service is paid for subscription" as "funny" and then stating "so everybody makes something out of it" could be interpreted as speculating Sonos makes something from the subscriptions. But if that is not the thinly veiled accusation you intended, then mea culpa.
One of the possible factors in a BBC reluctance to integrate into the Sonos system might be (and I'm speculating here) an issue with licensing for various streams that they carry, in terms of international carriage. For instance, when I was in Thailand last year for the end of the F1 season, I could not get any BBC coverage of the last 3 races through TuneIn, either on my computer or the Sonos system I'd set up in my hotel room. The BBC carries a lot of things, and it strikes me that there's a strong possibility that they don't have the right to send everything in their ecosystem out of the UK.

If I recall, the BBC iPlayer is was (?) restricted to UK, and not available in the states. Not sure if that's still the case, though. I've given up on reliable content from the BBC, except as carried by my local NPR stations here in the San Francisco area.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you tried the streams in tunein
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I checked and iplayer is downloadable and fully functional with international stream in the United States.
BBC Iplayer radio went global in mid 2016 which means they have sorted out any licensing concerns. Sonos is at the end of the day a speaker system. There doesn't seem to be any reason why if iplayer is global that it cannot cast to Sonos. I have made this point to bbc iplayer via their twitter feed and their direct email and hope they can update at some point.
BBC Iplayer radio went global in mid 2016 which means they have sorted out any licensing concerns. Sonos is at the end of the day a speaker system. There doesn't seem to be any reason why if iplayer is global that it cannot cast to Sonos. I have made this point to bbc iplayer via their twitter feed and their direct email and hope they can update at some point.

Correct, there should be no reason. Sonos offers for free to any service a Music Partners integration package for inclusion in the Sonos app (http://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=node/21), and they have recently released a new API which allows control of Sonos speakers from third party apps (http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening).

However, in the case of the first, Sonos cannot unilaterally add BBC content access to the Sonos app, they need the cooperation of the BBC or they are usurping licensing laws. For the second, they have no access to the BBC app, so there is no way they can implement it there even if they wished to usurp licensing laws.

In other words, Sonos support for the BBC lies in the hands of the BBC.