Sonos should offer a BBC iPlayer Radio App in the controller

• 25 September 2014
  • 297 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

297 replies

As announced at the press release (and as discussed in EVERY SINGLE BBC IPlayer thread for the last few months):

Rapid innovation is happening across native apps from all the streaming services. Sonos also announced its commitment to enable direct control experiences across its entire lineup of music service partners, including Pandora.

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Hey don't get his hopes up, there has been absolutely no sonos news, on bbc iplayer ever coming to sonos.

All the latest "opening up" progress has been with subscription services, which the bbc is definitely not, read into that what you will, you could say partners expect a return on their development costs with sonos, or they see sonos customers as a cash cow for signing up to subscription services.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well Spotify is a subscription service working with Sonos to get as many users as possible.

BBC is really a subscription service from a UK standpoint in a way - it isn't free. They may not be as beholden to trying to entice new customer like Spotify ... but they are still in the business of attempting to do the best for their listeners.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I still think Alexa or google home will be the quickest way to get bbc iplayer through sonos seamlessly.
Userlevel 2
Hi all. I've just received the following update from Sonos Technical Support. Thought you might be interested... "We are aware that some of BBC's podcasts doesn't play via Sonos - Our radio partner TuneIn has identified the problem with BBC and they are working together towards a solution. At this moment we don't have any information about when it will be solved, but as soon as we do we will provide you with an update."
Thanks for this Kate. On the back of your message I contacted Tunein straight away and got this reply: "Thank you for contacting us. Where are you located? We're currently working with the BBC on an issue that affects listeners in the UK. Thank you for your patience." I owe you an apology Sonos!
Hey don't get his hopes up, there has been absolutely no sonos news, on bbc iplayer ever coming to sonos.

All the latest "opening up" progress has been with subscription services, which the bbc is definitely not, read into that what you will, you could say partners expect a return on their development costs with sonos, or they see sonos customers as a cash cow for signing up to subscription services.

Oh fer cripes sake!! Do you even read??? In the very press release I posted above, it specifically mentions direct control is coming to Pandora - which is a FREE service!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well I don't know anything about pandora, so I missed that it would be free, we will see when it happens.
There was no mention that spotify had to be a premium account till the beta started yesterday.
Userlevel 2
Hi all. I've just received the following update from Sonos Technical Support. Thought you might be interested... "We are aware that some of BBC's podcasts doesn't play via Sonos - Our radio partner TuneIn has identified the problem with BBC and they are working together towards a solution. At this moment we don't have any information about when it will be solved, but as soon as we do we will provide you with an update."
That's what it should all be about Jon. This thread is riddled with -ve words ... among them "restrictive ... frustrating ... can't access ... hacked-off ... dire ... lumpy ... inadequate etc. There are more. Albeit the thread (and others relating to this issue) talk about the excellence of the product the real need is "native" support for "BBC services". Indeed, for other services too. As the internet becomes even more dominant in broadcasting (and consumers' use of it therefore) then this is matter to which SONOS should pay heed. In dealing with any legitimate concerns a good strategy is  to address it  by at least responding. Hey Ho, SONOS, I guess this is not a legitimate concern.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
huh? Spotify has been on Sonos for year and has always required premium subscription.
Userlevel 1
I confess to have been reasonably happy with playing bbc shows via tuneins (rather limited) offering. Maybe that's because I tend to listen mainly to radio 4 extra. However, for the last two weeks everything is coming back 'file not found'. Has anyone else experienced this? A quick nose around the BBC website seems to imply that they have recently changed the streaming format. Is this the catalyst sonos need to provide direct access to iplayer?
I echo Dave's comments, and my main use for my 3 players (is) WAS to listen on demand to BBC radio 2 and 6music programs. I too have been unable to do this for about a month, due to 'file not found' or incorrect format messages. Tunein has previously been unreliable, and if it stops midstream I can normally guarantee it will be 9 or 10am GMT; and further attempts to connect to tunein (via sonos) won't work for about 5 minutes (?server rebooting?). Having now got a tunein account, it does seem that they do have some problems with iplayer content, but there doesn't seem to be a direct correlation, and is there more content on tunein than sonos? (The next question is will tunein/sonos support the 4 week retention period that the BBC have - oo that's another reason to find some way to support native iplayer...). Sonos great sound, rubbish app (try Sonopad), rubbish tunein.
Spotify Connect also requires premium (as in Connect on software/hardware outside of Sonos)
I was about to order Sonos system as an upgrade to Squeezebox setup but I have paused after reading issues around the BBC iplayer and if Sonos cannot respond to issues then I must be off to research alternative.. Bose? Tintin
This is profoundly frustrating. But worse is the total lack of concern or attention shown by SONOS. For years, this has been requested. In the early days, SONOS replied - albeit confusedly and inadequately. Now it does not reply at all. The whole philosophy of the prison-garden app is hideous. This is the most obvious manifestation of it. That SONOS have spent years getting nowhere here whilst many of their open-source competitors have achieved this service without breaking a sweat is testament to the rotten core of their restrictive model. Shame.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is up to BBC to partner with Sonos. We have no idea if they are doing that or not. BBC would have to tell you.
Sonos Play 1 newly purchased, and I am very disappointed to find that the BBC iPlayer "listen again" function is not available. I shall not invest in expanding my system until it is, and I shall advise others to make a wiser purchase.
I should clarify my original post, streaming BBC music stations works like a charm, just add them to Sonos Favourites and hey presto.

Where my issue lies is with the wealth of content from the 'listen again' feature of iPlayer. Some of this content is available through the TuneIn function but it is very limited.

There is a workaround I use by plugging my phone straight into the 'line in' port of a Play 5 and grouping other rooms. Not ideal but it still means I can listen all over the house.

I think someone earlier hit the nail on the head with the fact that we should probably be speaking to the BBC to request this functionality. There are several threads on this subject and replies from Sonos are fairly tight lipped, maybe they are pusuing this maybe not, but I think if the BBC went knocking themselves it would carry more weight? Just a thought.
Another +1 on the issue. Being unable to listen again to BBC radio shows is beyond frustrating. I was going to add another speaker to my system for xmas but this ongoing issue has put me off   
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It's easier now for the.bbc because all they need to do is incorporate Sonos casting ability into the iplayer app like Spotify has done vs having to write new app for within the Sonos app. That is why users should make their voice heard with the BBC that they want this feature incorporated in their app.
Userlevel 1
Likewise.  I have two pair of Sonos 1s and was planning to add a Playbar and Sub as a self Christmas present but have now put Sonos on hold while I look around for a system which will access BBC radio iPlayer.
I've purchased a Bose. Sonos is far too much of a faff!

I also have a DJ set up in another room that was becoming too complicated to link to a sonos but with a Bose and a £20 Bluetooth transmitter this issue is resolved.

I'm a tech geek but within a day of looking into sonos I was dramatically put off.
Likewise. 
Sonos, you are losing customers here - PLEASE FIX!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not sure what a Faff is but probably not flattering. Sonos isn't for every need. It fulfills the need of many people but some people will find other solutions are better for their situation. Doesn't mean Sonos is not the best option for other people's needs.
Agree, really frustrated at not been able to listen again.  Please sort this out.
Bose is fine if Bluetooth is what you need. They don't have near as many music services, so native app support is a plus. But I suspect Sonos' Direct Control could tip the scales back in that area. The real problem is it's been plagued by reports of unreliability, and the entire SoundTouch line is on its third revamp since it was introduced in 2013. Three different versions in a little over 3 years would worry me, but good luck with your choice.
I have posted above and have been pondering Sonos disgraceful lack of response. I wonder if we should take our complaints onto a more public platform so I'm off to Tweet @Sonos. Why no think about joining me to highlight this major shortcoming by Sonos for UK customers? Tintin