Answered

Sonos Roam - Maximum Audio Quality with Apps?

• 11 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi, I’m probably going to get murdered on the forum for this...(I did try to search, I really did), but I couldn’t find anything.

So I have two Sonos Roams paired as a stereo set. I was wondering with the high end services like Tidal, Amazon Music HD and Apple Music (and I guess Sonos Radio HD), can the Roams push out the high end bit rates/sound quality? I may not be asking the question right..I hope it makes sense. 

Like I realize the Roams do not do Atmos (right)..so Spatial audio is out...but can they play lossless at that bit rate or is it downsized/compressed?

I am a Sonos fan, and I replaced two Echo Studios to go with the Roams because I like the portability and the size of them. I realize I would be giving up Atmos or whatever Amazon calls it..but I was just curious.

I recall seeing something way back that the Ones could not do more than “HD” level on Amazon and not the Ultra HD or 3D or whatever they called it..but I didn’t know if the Roams can do HD level ...or if any music service on Roam can give better audio quality than the other. 

PS With the Roams on either side of my PC screen when I’m working, I love how I can use the Spotify app and use Spotify Connect to stream directly to the speakers. That’s awesome!

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 11 November 2021, 17:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Roam can stream audio at the same quality of any other Sonos speaker in the S2 system.  However, that obviously mean a pair of Roams will sound as good as a pair of Fives, for example, for obvious reasons.

Also worth noting that each streaming service streams at different quality on Sonos, and not necessarily the same as if you streamed on your phone or some other device.  This is up to the service provider and the limits of Sonos.  You can check the link below for the services and what rates audio is streamed at.  

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3459?language=en_US

Generally speaking, I believe a service will cast (like Spotify Connect) at the same quality as if stream directly to Sonos (it basic is streamed directly.  Bluetooth and Apple airplay will be different.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That’s the response I was looking for! Thank you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

One thing, on that URL that was sent out it really doesn’t say anything about Apple Music bit rates. It doesn’t show lossless or anything. Does that mean the page needs to be updated or does it mean it’s not supported unless it’s on Apple TV through an Arc or something? 

One thing, on that URL that was sent out it really doesn’t say anything about Apple Music bit rates. It doesn’t show lossless or anything. Does that mean the page needs to be updated or does it mean it’s not supported unless it’s on Apple TV through an Arc or something? 

I don’t use Apple music personally and really am not an expert on bit rates.  The links states “64kbps HE-AAC, 128kbps AAC, 256kbps AAC” and I don’t know if that means lossless.  I’ve never really cared enough to spend much time researching it.

Others here will surely know more then me.

I don’t use Apple music personally and really am not an expert on bit rates.  The links states “64kbps HE-AAC, 128kbps AAC, 256kbps AAC” and I don’t know if that means lossless. 

No. Lossless in Appleworld is ALAC. Sonos doesn’t (yet) support Apple Music lossless. The bitrate for 16/44 or 16/48 will be similar to FLAC, i.e. 600-1200kbps depending on the music.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

thank you!