Question

Sonos Radio not working properly

• 10 September 2020
  • 27 replies

Hello,

I've had to reset my speaker as radio stations weren't working. I've managed to get the speaker back up and running and it plays some radio stations from tune in and Sonos Radio but It won't play any foreign stations which it did do previously until today. What is the issue with it? Also tune in won't find every country under its locations where as before it did, any ideas why this is?

Manythanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Rajko.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Just want to know what country are you right now?

Submit a diagnostic report also for us to see whats going on inside your Sonos device

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi @Mark P ,

I'm writing to you from the UK. I have done a diagnostic report my confirmation number is 913675466

Many thanks 

HI there

Also writing from the UK and experiencing the same problem. Foreign radios have stopped working as of yesterday...Reset both Wifi and my Sonos speakers. Still not working.

Any help/guidance appreciated. Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Rajko and @Perso.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

I just read a thread regarding TuneIn in UK.

This might be the answer we are looking for or I might be wrong click here.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I understand that Tune-in are having legal problems but what has that to do with Sonos radio ? Is Sonos radio just a re-skinned Tune-in clone? I am in the UK and love listening to overseas broadcasts, and if i am not getting those then a big enjoyment factor of Sonos is missing.

@Mark P  that artical is from 2019, everything was working fine until yesterday and as @lonestay has mentioned this problem isn't just with tune in radio but with Sonos radio also. I listen to broadcasts from abroad and they are not working all of a sudden but the likes of Talksport which is a British sports radio works on both tune in and Sonos radio. Tune in won't even show the country that I want to listen to anymore, majority of European countries are missing from the list on location. One of the main reasons I got Sonos was for its radio features 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Rajko my tuner radio still gives you world wide radio coverage so you can use that through Sonos .

@lonestay I'll have a look at that when I get home. Still would like to know the reason behind the other 2 services not working, bit embarrassing especially for Sonos Radio. Thanks anyway 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

your welcome, my tuner radio can be found in the Sonos list of add ons in the app, its a bit of a let down that Sonos radio was launched with a fanfare with the S2 app ,and couple of months later the majority of it is broken !

Thanks for the reply Mark

This was back in 2017 though...TuneIn has worked fine until this week, unless there has been some recent high court ruling.

However, Sonos Radio- Your product- is also offering those foreign radios and does not work. Is this related? Essentially, are foreign radios no longer accessible to play via Sonos?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thats the thing Sonos had Sonos radio as a selling point to upgrade/trade-up your old gear, with the new S2 app offering this whole new Sonos experience that now doesn't function fully. I assume Sonos are going to sort out international licensing so that we can listen to worldwide radio once again? otherwise Sonos radio is well, not that big a selling point .  

@lonestay- Thank you for the tip re myTuner Radio- It now works for me…

Don’t get the point of Sonos Radio as it doesn’t work but no doubt some very smart updates coming soon...:)

OK - I got this working.  At first I thought the problem was due to Boris and his law breaking but the above has solved the problem.  How is a non-tech person supposed to have worked this through.  Sonos … this is a disgrace and will cost you many customers if you don’t sort this out.

Hi , I live in UK and I use to play few radio station from Romania , suddenly for some  days now I’m not able anymore to play any of this station , in fact I can’t find any Romanian station on tuneIn anymore  , I’ve tryed every single way but unfortunately no success . Please can anyone help me . 

Badge

Same here. Took a while to find this thread. Disgusting that I had to find this out for myself. Get your act together Sonos

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Lots of people asking the same question, missing a unified response from SONOS here.

The issue is not related to any software version of sonos app or node firmwares!

Is seems to have been caused by a dispute between Warner Music UK and Sony Music Entertainment UK and the US TuneIn company.

See https://www.simkins.com/2020/01/uk-users-can-tunein-to-overseas-radio-but-tunein-needs-a-uk-licence/

What a mess, so if you manually add your overseas stations via the sonos app, that is ok as long as the are not passed through by TuneIn.

One think SONOS should do is to create a ‘generic’ favourite list, stored in the sonos units that can be used to store radio stations from any provider or manually added, so that you don’t have to go through the last played, favourite lists of each service provider. Store the original streaming URL in it to prevent these issues of providers being selectively blocked on geo location basis.

So blame Warner Music UK and Sony Music Entertainment UK for the current blocking issues!!!

Sonos please do a better job in communicating with your customers. I thought you might have learned something after the CR100 and drop of support of older equipment issues in the recent years!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So what are Sonos going to do about this ? Sonos radio was part of the S2 upgrade/buy new equipment/dont want old kit “sell” by Sonos and now i cant get one of the things that was so enjoyable about Sonos. Sonos must have been aware of Tune-ins on going court case when they set up Sonos radio ? Is Sonos radio just a reskinned Tune-in service? If not then sonos should be sorting out licence agreements worldwide for their radio service, Sonos didnt give us a lot when they introduced S2 and now in the UK we have even less . 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

There are so many threads now on this forum about internet radio, is it not time to consolidate into one thread ? Or maybe Sonos could come up with a solution and communicate it to us? I think most of us are aware of the reasons of why the blackout happened, but all we are interested in is what are Sonos going to do about getting Sonos radio, their own product up and running fully again .

Radio will not play for me either. What is going on?

You can't make a speaker that has become less functional with an update. 

Why can I not listen to internet radio anymore?

I'd like to raise a ticket but you removed that option conveniently for yourselves. 

These stations broadcast fine on web browsers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Radio will not play for me either. What is going on?

You can't make a speaker that has become less functional with an update. 

Why can I not listen to internet radio anymore?

I'd like to raise a ticket but you removed that option conveniently for yourselves. 

These stations broadcast fine on web browsers.

Have you read any of the posts above? The reasons and solutions are there. 

What solutions? I only see others with the same issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

What solutions? I only see others with the same issue. 

Here is the reason, taken from a post above: https://torrentfreak.com/tunein-radio-infringed-sony-warners-copyrights-high-court-rules-191101/

And here is a possible solution, quoted from a post above: “my tuner radio still gives you world wide radio coverage so you can use that through Sonos”. 

There are other threads with explanation and solutions, too, such as  https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/tunein-blocking-foreign-radio-stations-in-the-uk-master-thread-6848128

This issue just happened to me in Australia, but only the past few days (October 2020). I have added My Tuner and have been able to listen to a USA station I like, but has been a lot of messing around.  Not happy!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’ve installed myTuner too and, for now, that works.  But none of these fixes are actually a “fix” for the problem that Sonos Radio, as a product and a selling feature of the Sonos, no longer functions, 5 months after it’s release. Sonos should be embarrassed by this and, at the very least, should be updating their users about what’s happening, it’s a premium product after all. Instead they’re still advertising Sonos Radio as having 100,000’s of stations. This is now false advertising in the UK. 

Same issue here in NZ.
My fist sonos speaker is turning out to be a pain in the arse with all these silly issues.