Answered

Sonos Radio bitrates.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Does anyone know the bitrate that the new sonos radio curated playlists, ie the new Thom Yorke one, are streaming at? Why can't sonos just add a bitrate to the player and save having to email support all the time! Its such an omission for streaming player. With modern internet there is no excuse for less than 320 streaming in my view.

icon

Best answer by ratty 22 April 2020, 14:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

The curated stations are AAC 128kbps.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-11-1-brings-sonos-radio-6839307?postid=16420583

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Oh dear. What a lost opportunity.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Why can't sonos just add a bitrate to the player and save having to email support all the time! Its such an omission for streaming player.

Since they are streaming in Napster era bit rates they probably want to keep it in the DL.🤔

Userlevel 1

128kbps is disappointing, and also somewhat confusing, given the primary talking point of the upcoming S2 software being higher-resolution audio.

But we”re not on S2 yet, how would that even work?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I think I find not knowing the bitrate and not being able to see what it is on the player more frustrating than sonos choosing to use bitrates from the stone age. I can only assume Sonos does not want you to know as it must be so easy to implement. I will be sticking with Qobuz playlists and BBC radio 320 streams, if I want to listen to 128 I’ll dig out a ten year old ipod.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Incidentally have you noticed that Tune-In stream the BBC at 128 even though all their stations are now 320 HLS. Radio 4 is sometimes even 96 on Tune-In. I know this because my amp will stream tune-in via HEOS and it does show the bitrate. I assume sonos use the same streams from Tune-In, but then how would I know that for sure because the player keeps it a secret!! The only way I can get assured 320 bitrate on all BBC stations is to manually enter the url’s, I just hope the option to manually enter a station url is not be removed by S2!

Incidentally have you noticed that Tune-In stream the BBC at 128 even though all their stations are now 320 HLS. Radio 4 is sometimes even 96 on Tune-In. I know this  because my amp will stream tune-in via HEOS and it does show the bitrate. I assume sonos use the same streams from Tune-In, but then how would I know that for sure because the player keeps it a secret!! The only way I can get assured 320 bitrate on all BBC stations is to manually enter the url’s, I just hope the option to manually enter a station url is not be removed by S2!

Have you tried RadioPlayer for Sonos? The RP site promises ‘highest available bitrate’ but of course not sure about RP in Sonos. Sounds good though – has to be better than 128

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks for the reply I have indeed used it, it's a nice service. I also emailed to inquire about bitrates but got no reply. Again a simple bitrate display on the player would put an end to all the guessing :-)

Incidentally have you noticed that Tune-In stream the BBC at 128 even though all their stations are now 320 HLS. Radio 4 is sometimes even 96 on Tune-In. I know this because my amp will stream tune-in via HEOS and it does show the bitrate. I assume sonos use the same streams from Tune-In, but then how would I know that for sure because the player keeps it a secret!! The only way I can get assured 320 bitrate on all BBC stations is to manually enter the url’s, I just hope the option to manually enter a station url is not be removed by S2!

goodness me, let us hope manual URL support will stay for unlisted radio stations which are neither on Tune-In nor in Sonos Radio

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I don’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but…

It was great for Sonos to provide its users with a free radio service.

However, given the fact that Sonos promotes itself as a high-end speaker company, how could they broadcast its radio stations in crappy 128kbps?

I don’t understand the logic of this other than perhaps it was a restriction in order to keep the service free.

Userlevel 1

I just agree 128kbit is terrible for a company like sonos. 10years ago it might been ok but today??? Was so trilled about sonos radio but the sound quality is far from premium… when will it be better? Or at least choosable as in Spotify.