Answered

sonos radio alarm cutting out spontaneously after circa 20 minutes

I use Sonos as an alarm for Radio 4 each morning at 0700. For some weeks the radio has been cutting out after 20 mins. Have checked all the settings, nothing has changed.  How can this issue be resolved?

icon

Best answer by Casey4079 8 September 2022, 08:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Casey4079 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The next time this happens, please submit a support diagnostic within a few minutes and report the given number here, when you can - I’ll be happy to take a look for you. I presume I’ll be looking for a bedroom speaker?

You haven’t accidentally set a sleep timer?

Badge +20

Or even for the alarm to only run for 20 minutes?

Best solution would be to delete the alarm and creat a new one, this tends to fix most alarm issues.

Thank you for your responses

Will try deleting alarm and resetting as suggested

Sleep timer non operational

if reoccurs will send diagnostic report to Cory P

Many thanks

The alarm set up is via 2 Sonos 1’s in Bed 2

The radio, BBC Radio 4, kicked in at 0700 this morning after resetting alarm yesterday

The radio turned off at 7.18 and moments later came back

Diagnostic reference number 507622565 refers

Corry P offered to check out

Many thanks all

Regards

Just an update this morning. Radio turned on at 0700, BBC Radio 4 as alarm setting.  Cut out at 0722, then came back on at 0723

Went into system, error message “Bed 2 not configured” which quickly disappeared. Diagnostic reference 306663969. Now 0729 and radio still operating

Any comment from Corry P?

Regards

Is there anything else in your house that comes on around that time and could cause an interruption / interference?

Why don’t you try stopping the radio yourself around 7.10 (say), then start a stream manually and see if the same interruption occurs shortly afterwards?  If it does then the problem has nothing to do with alarms.  It would just be an interruption to a stream that happened to have been started by an alarm.

You could also try setting an alarm at another time, say mid-afternoon, and see if the stream cuts out as it does in the mornings.

It may well turn out to be something to do with an alarm, but my gut feeling is that it isn’t.  My gut feelings are not always right though…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Casey4079 

Thanks for the diagnostics - I can see an underflow error, meaning that the data stream was interrupted at that moment. It seems to be due to electromagnetic interference - but at the Playbar, not the bedroom speakers. Although there are obviously items there that cannot be moved, I recommend you move what devices you can move at least 1m away from the Playbar.

As a guess, I would assume that Master Bedroom is closer to Bedroom 2 than the Living Room is, so you may also get better results by re-enabling the WiFi interface on Master Bedroom and then rebooting the Bedroom 2 units - this might (depending on the relative signal strengths) make the Bedroom 2 units connect there instead.

I hope this helps.

Info for Corry P - Thanks for your comments.  The Bed 2 speakers rely on WiFi, as does the Kitchen Connect The sound bar is hard wired as is the Port, as is the Connect in Bed 1.

The alarm worked perfectly this morning, though I did note my iphone was not present, which is usually on charge next to the sBed 2 speakers   Could this be the culprit given your comments on electromagnetic interference?

Many thanks for your feedback & others received

Regards

The alarm worked perfectly this morning,

I strongly suspect that the alarm has worked perfectly all along, and the focus should be on what happens around 7.20am.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Casey4079 

I did see a fractional amount of interference that was short-lived at the speakers, so yes - keeping your phone next to them could easily have caused the issue you reported. There was more interference at the Playbar, so I assumed that was the cause.

Your speakers don’t use your router’s WiFi - they use SonosNet, and rely on the Playbar for a connection. If you were to activate the WiFi interface on Master Bedroom, it’s possible the Bedroom 2 speakers would rely on it instead, and hopefully it has less interference. If moving your phone helps, however, hopefully that will be enough.

You are very welcome!

System now looks to be functioning normally. Removal of phone charging adjacent Sonos Ones seems to have rectified things. My thanks for all contributions received

Regards