Answered

Sonos problems generating paths to files in my NAS for some songs with non-ASCII characters in name

• 10 June 2021
  • 4 replies

I have a Sonos Move, One SL, and Port and a Brennan B2 music server with my CD collection that has been working perfectly for almost a year. However, three days ago I noticed that some songs can not be found by my Sonos in the Brennan server. The most puzzling thing is that the “trouble” songs play in my One SL when it is the only speaker but not if I make the Move or Port the sole output. I notice that the problem songs have characters like ñ, accents, and/or question/exclamation marks in their titles. I reset all my Sonos components and that by itself does not fix the problem neither does re-indexing. The problem goes away only when I remove the offending characters from the name of the songs in the Brennan B2 music server. I have not made any changes in my system to have caused this problem. Has there been lately an autonomous update in the firmware of my Sonos components? How can I fix it? I would prefer not having to go through my full library in my server removing offending characters that were not a problem before. Any help on this matter will be highly appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by James L. 11 June 2021, 10:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Miguel1959, welcome to the community.

We are aware of an issue that causes systems with a One SL to fail to play back files from a music share on a NAS that contain a special character either in file path, or filename such as Ä, Ö and Ü. We are investigating the issue, but have no timeline to share. In the meantime, the workaround is to rename the files/folders to remove the special characters. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Having the same issue.  Sometime this week, Sigur Ros music stopped being indexed (Sigur Rós, the albums, and the song names have a lot of unicode/accented characters).  I noticed it yesterday when I tried to play an album I play quite a lot, and it said the files couldn’t be found.  I tried some other music and everything was fine.  I reindexed and now they don’t show up at all.

This is in a system with 1 Amp and 4 One SL’s.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Can confirm that it is the One SL’s with the problem for me.  I finally was able to force the Amp to do the library indexing (using soco-cli) and the music reappeared in my library.  The Amp was able to play the songs, the One SL’s were not.

Interestingly, my One SL has problems with fewer non-ASCII characters than my Move and Port. 

Has there been an automatic update in the firmware of any of these devices lately? How can I find out?