Answered

Sonos Play:1 streaming options

• 4 April 2020
  • 6 replies

I’ve been given a pair of Play:1 as a gift and don’t have any other Sonos product at the moment. 
I’ve used the Sonos app to stream music using Amazon Music subscription but I find the app quite restrictive as it requires premium service to add any other service. 
is there a Sonos device I can buy that can work as a host that I (or any other family member) can connect via Bluetooth - the device can then stream music to the individual play:1 speakers. (I can see that might restrict some features like playing separate music on each speaker - but that’s fine). 
I’d rather pay for one host device than pay monthly family subscriptions for multiple services. 

icon

Best answer by Chris 4 April 2020, 17:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Your single account put in Sonos for a service it can then be shared with everyone in your home - so it is pay for individual service and everyone who accessed Sonos in your house will have access to it. 

Spotify free service works with Sonos and you can play direct from Spotify app. 

adding a new Sonos SL or one is good way to add airplay2 if you are using Apple devices. younwould then even be able to group and play airplay to the ones you have already too. 

The only way to steam bluetooth into your system would somethjng like a play:5 speaker with a Bluetooth receiver attached   Don’t recommend doing that  

Thanks Chris. Just to confirm 

• get a Sonos One SL device 
  • connect to Sonos One SL using AirPlay 2 compatible IOS app
  • sonos one SL can relay music to the connected Play:1 devices. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes get a Sonos One SL and once installed it will show up in your Sonos app just like the Play:1s

It will also show up on your ios devices as an airplay device.

Therefore - you can play from about any software on your ios device to the Sonos One SL.   Then if you want to play to one of your current Play:1s - just go in the Sonos app and group the Play:1(s) to your Sonos One SL and then they will both be playing the Airplay audio.   You will have independent volume control of each - so in this example you could mute/turn down volume on the Sonos One SL and just have the airplay audio coming from the Play:1(s).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Any of these speakers (devices) will do the same - show up as airplay speakers in your sonos system and then be able to group with your current speakers.

• Beam
  • Amp
  • Sonos One
  • Playbase
  • Play:5 (second generation)
  • SYMFONISK
  • Move
  • One SL
  • Port

Thank you. 
I support Sonos SL one would be cheaper to get started.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes its a great option