Answered

SONOS not playing all of my songs on playlists

Hi, I've recently had an issue with my SONOS Play:1. I've had it a few years now, always keep it up to date etc. But recently I noticed when I put a playlist on, the first few songs were missing. I checked on the app and sure enough, not all the songs were there. On the artwork for the playlist the artists were there, but when you went into the playlist they weren't there. They had been previously. Also, I have recently downloaded some new music and again, some of the songs appear but some don't. What am I doing wrong? I am looking at the "on the iPhone" section, where all my playlists are. Any help would be massively appreciated because I'm getting close to just selling it. It worked fine when I first had it and recently it disconnects and skips constantly, and now doesn't find all my music. Its really frustrating.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 13 March 2018, 02:42

The piece states that all Apple’s music is now DRM free so why am I downloading new music that won’t play? Also, I don’t have iTunes on a computer I do it all from my phone. The instructions for getting the DRM-free music apply to iTunes on a computer, so that doesn’t really help me. I don’t own a computer.
There are two systems at work here: Apple Music and your iTunes account. If you purchase a song, it belongs to you and is available to you in the "My Purchases" section in the iTunes Store. These songs are yours to do whatever you wish and are DRM free. Apple Music allows you to stream and download songs you haven't purchased to your library. The tricky part is when you go to the "Music" application on your phone. You won't see a difference between the two types of files, this is because your iTunes purchases (DRM free) are automatically in your library mixed with the songs you've added from Apple Music.

When you save and download a song from Apple Music, it is saved as a specific file type that Apple software can read. You will only be able to play that content through the "Music" app on your phone.
When you download a track that you have purchased, it will be DRM free and in a format that can be read by Sonos.

Alternatively, if you have an Apple Music subscription, I would suggest using your Apple Music credentials on Sonos. After, head to "Browse" -> "Apple Music" -> "My Music" -> "Playlists" and you should be able to "Do Anything For Love" in no time. 🆒

Perhaps you used to access the playlists this way, rather than "on this iPhone"?

Side Note: Looks like you might have an update available on Sonos...
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

I suspect that is related to the service you are listening too rather than Sonos per say. Can you give some details on the tracks and source of the music/playlist?
Hi, thanks for getting back to me! What details do you need? The music is all downloaded from iTunes, its all been downloaded onto my phone (doesn't require wifi to play). I have iTunes Match, does that matter? I'm just confused that the tracks used to work but now don't. Let me know what else you might need I'm really keen to get this fixed! Thank you so much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Are all the tracks available within iTunes on your phone? I can only assume that the tracks that aren't visible are MP4 with protection that Sonos will not be able to play. Were these purchased tracks?
Hi, yes all available on iPhone. They are not purchased tracks, but downloaded from iTunes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Are you able to see what file extension they have?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, yes all available on iPhone. They are not purchased tracks, but downloaded from iTunes.
Are the tracks sync'd to your iPhone from your imported local library or were these added to your library from iTunes / Apple Music? If you add music without purchasing, it appears in the Music app but not in Sonos. This is because audio that is downloaded (and not purchased) from Apple Music is in a specific file extension that cannot be read by Sonos.
Are you able to see what file extension they have?

How do I do that?
Are the tracks sync'd to your iPhone from your imported local library or were these added to your library from iTunes / Apple Music? If you add music without purchasing, it appears in the Music app but not in Sonos. This is because audio that is downloaded (and not purchased) from Apple Music is in a specific file extension that cannot be read by Sonos.

Hi- I understand what you’re saying, I think, except all take for example this playlist (don’t judge haha) the first image is on my iPhone the next is what comes through to SONOS. All tracks were downloaded, not purchased. So if I’m supposed to always purchase music for it to work how come some does and some doesn’t? That’s my I’m puzzled!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, thanks for getting back to us. It very well may be that certain tracks have some form of protection on them, by way of DRM. We have a support article that covers all aspects of troubleshooting playing the music from your iOS device. Please see here and let us know if you have any further issues.
Hi there, thanks for getting back to us. It very well may be that certain tracks have some form of protection on them, by way of DRM. We have a support article that covers all aspects of troubleshooting playing the music from your iOS device. Please see here and let us know if you have any further issues.

Hi, thanks for this. I still don’t understand how music that DID play on my SONOS now doesn’t. Has the music become DRM protected? The piece states that all Apple’s music is now DRM free so why am I downloading new music that won’t play? Also, I don’t have iTunes on a computer I do it all from my phone. The instructions for getting the DRM-free music apply to iTunes on a computer, so that doesn’t really help me. I don’t own a computer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
The piece states that all Apple’s music is now DRM free so why am I downloading new music that won’t play? Also, I don’t have iTunes on a computer I do it all from my phone. The instructions for getting the DRM-free music apply to iTunes on a computer, so that doesn’t really help me. I don’t own a computer.
There are two systems at work here: Apple Music and your iTunes account. If you purchase a song, it belongs to you and is available to you in the "My Purchases" section in the iTunes Store. These songs are yours to do whatever you wish and are DRM free. Apple Music allows you to stream and download songs you haven't purchased to your library. The tricky part is when you go to the "Music" application on your phone. You won't see a difference between the two types of files, this is because your iTunes purchases (DRM free) are automatically in your library mixed with the songs you've added from Apple Music.

When you save and download a song from Apple Music, it is saved as a specific file type that Apple software can read. You will only be able to play that content through the "Music" app on your phone.
When you download a track that you have purchased, it will be DRM free and in a format that can be read by Sonos.

Alternatively, if you have an Apple Music subscription, I would suggest using your Apple Music credentials on Sonos. After, head to "Browse" -> "Apple Music" -> "My Music" -> "Playlists" and you should be able to "Do Anything For Love" in no time. 🆒

Perhaps you used to access the playlists this way, rather than "on this iPhone"?

Keith you absolute gem - IT WORKED!! Thank you so much 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Glad to hear it worked out! Feel free to reach out should you run into any other problems.
I will!! Thanks again...I’m so happy to be able to use it again. You’re an utter LEGEND ??
Keith N's update worked as of 10/7/18. In ITunes, I had a number of files of Kind "Protected AAC Audio Files", as far as I can tell from pre-2011 songs I or my daughter had bought or burned from CDs. Those will not be selected by Sonos in the Music Library index. As of now, all the iTunes Match articles and reauthorizing articles from 11-13 are obsolete. You do have to
1.) sign into your ITunes account
2.) go into iTunes Preferences and turn on iCloud Music Library
3.) sort your iTunes library by "Kind", select all the Protected AAC Audio Files, (you can shift click them), right click, select Remove Download.
4.) On that same highlighted selection, click one of the cloud icons that's now appeared in the cloud column. All of them will download, pretty quickly (couple of seconds per file on a good wifi).
SOME of them may not change file type from Protected AAC Audio File. That means the iTunes cloud music library couldn't find it or doesn't have it. Those, you can either (re)purchase... or not play them on Sonos.