Answered

Sonos n00b: Can I use Alexa as well as the Apple Music app on Sonos Beam?

• 17 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone. I'm considering buying the Sonos Beam as the sole sound equipment for my TV to save some space (currently got a Pioneer receiver and a 5.1 speaker setup). I know I'll be compromising a little bit in sound quality, but I think it'll be worth it with all the stuff I can remove from the living room.

I always use my iPhone to play music in the Apple Music app and then I airplay it to my Pioneer receiver. I have 2 questions about how this will work with the Sonos Beam:

1) Can I continue to use the native Apple Music app to play my music and then Airplay it to the Beam? It sounds obvious, but the reason I'm confused is because I'm hearing about this Sonos app that everything needs to go through, which doesn't sound ideal for me. Can I just play directly from my Apple Music app and then stream it to the Beam?

2) Can I somehow connect the Beam with my Apple Music account so I can use the built in Alexa to play the music (similarly to on HomePod)? If I could do that, I wouldn't even need to use my phone which would be great.

Thanks a lot in advance. I really hope you can help me get a better understanding about how it works. Seems like a really cool product!
icon

Best answer by jgatie 17 November 2018, 16:44

1) Yes, he Beam is Airplay compatible. No need to use the Sonos app if you do not wish to.

2) No, Apple Music cannot be initiated via Alexa. You could use Siri to initiate the playback, then use Alexa to Pause/Skip/Previous/etc., but commands such as "Alexa, play songs from the Police" can only be done using Alexa compatible services. These are:

Amazon Music (Not available in Canada)*
Spotify
TuneIn Radio
Deezer
Pandora (Not available in the UK, Canada, or Australia)
iHeartRadio (Not available in the UK or Canada)
SiriusXM (Not available in the UK, Canada, or Australia)
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

1) Yes, he Beam is Airplay compatible. No need to use the Sonos app if you do not wish to.

2) No, Apple Music cannot be initiated via Alexa. You could use Siri to initiate the playback, then use Alexa to Pause/Skip/Previous/etc., but commands such as "Alexa, play songs from the Police" can only be done using Alexa compatible services. These are:

Amazon Music (Not available in Canada)*
Spotify
TuneIn Radio
Deezer
Pandora (Not available in the UK, Canada, or Australia)
iHeartRadio (Not available in the UK or Canada)
SiriusXM (Not available in the UK, Canada, or Australia)
Cool, thanks a lot for the info.