Sonos Music Library playlist

Hi
I have about 2500 MP3 files in my music library.
When I start playing, everything is fine - but then I fx. watch some tv, when I again want to hear music and start playing the music library playlist it starts from number 1 again. Isn’t there a way that Sonos remember the last song played and can continue from there???

It’s pretty stupid to listen to the same 10-20 songs again and again :)

I know that I, via the app, can scroll down to the last played song or shuffle the songs. But I mainly use Google assistant voice commands to start and stop playing music.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks for reporting this @Smilja, I guess this bears more investigation.

That’s idle power mode, whereas Autoplay idle is different.

Not in my experience. Either I’m waiting for Playbase and surrounds about 13 min. to revert to the previous queue, otherwise I got to grab the Sonos app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m just a customer, all I can do is to refer to Sonos Power Consumption While Idle / Notes as source.

All Sonos components take 3 minutes to go into idle mode, unless part of a Sonos home theater surround setup. The 3 minutes until idle can be initiated on a surround setup when audio is paused. If pause or mute is not initiated, idle power mode takes 13 minutes for all devices part of a surround setup after the audio signal ceases from the TV.

That’s idle power mode, whereas Autoplay idle is different. So 3 minutes after autoplay idle mode, if nothing is played, the whole room goes to low power state.

We just tested this post-TV-watching queue situation and it seems the speaker’s queue may not be reactivated and so neither a “play” command nor the Play button would resume playback. The app will be required.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Just shows how Sonos have concentrated on streaming and totally ignored their older user base who still play music from their own sources. I have put many apost about neglect and how painful the queue is to use now but to noavail. Pity as I have 11 Sonos units but will not be buying any more - not that Sonos will care! Unfortunately I don't recommend Sonos any more as there are cheaper units out there that do streaming just as well. Sonos always had an audiofile fanbase but that has dimmed with the dumbing down of things like the queue.

I’m just a customer, all I can do is to refer to Sonos Power Consumption While Idle / Notes as source.

All Sonos components take 3 minutes to go into idle mode, unless part of a Sonos home theater surround setup. The 3 minutes until idle can be initiated on a surround setup when audio is paused. If pause or mute is not initiated, idle power mode takes 13 minutes for all devices part of a surround setup after the audio signal ceases from the TV.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

When you turn off the TV the Beam is still listening for 13 minutes for a TV signal, then revert to the previous queue. If you don’t want to wait 13 minutes, just select a (music) source and start playback.

Technically it’s 600 seconds (I didn’t realise it was this long, or I would have mentioned it before). Perhaps if the TV sends silence (rather than nothing) for 3 min after going into standby (to keep the speaker alive in case you immediately turn the TV on again), the effective time you need to wait would be extended to 13 minutes.

While TV audio is playing, or while the Beam (or Arc, Playbase or Playbar) is waiting those 600 seconds, the physical Play button on the Beam will actually mute the TV audio (so it seems nothing happens as the TV is silent in this case).

After the 600 seconds have passed, either the Play button or a Play command to Google Assistant (or Alexa) will resume the queue.

As @Smilja mentions, if you don’t wish to wait this long, it's best to open the Sonos app.

@Corry P 
After I turn off my TV and press the play button on my Beam nothing happens…
Still after turning off my TV and opening the Sonos app on my PC - I can’t press the play button. It still says that it’s the TV that’s active.

Any other ideas??

When you turn off the TV the Beam is still listening for 13 minutes for a TV signal, then revert to the previous queue. If you don’t want to wait 13 minutes, just select a (music) source and start playback.

Hey Google spil (danish for Play) - the same command afterwards

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@DKKLH 

I believe you’ll need to wait a short amount of time for the Beam to accept it’s not getting a feed from the TV anymore, then the queue will be restored and the Play button should work.

You mentioned that you’re playing from your music library. Could you let me know exactly what commands you’re giving Google Assistant to start the playlist in the first instance, and to resume playback after watching TV?

@Corry P 
After I turn off my TV and press the play button on my Beam nothing happens…
Still after turning off my TV and opening the Sonos app on my PC - I can’t press the play button. It still says that it’s the TV that’s active.

Any other ideas??

I must say that I think that Sonos products plays VERY well, but your software is in a totally other league - a very bad league.
Even if your suggestion had worked - what’s the idea with voice control integration if you have to press buttons, start apps etc..???

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DKKLH 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

How are you restarting the music playback? If you ask Google Assistant to play it will play the last thing you asked Google Assistant to play, which is the entire playlist (and it will start at the start)

If, instead, you turn off your TV and press the Play button on your Beam, or the Play button in the Sonos app (Now Playing screen), Sonos will resume it’s queue, from where you left off. 

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I use Sonos for my TV as well.

It’s possible on phones, so it must also be possible for Sonos to make it possible to access the original queue and continue it.

Sonos software is based on design principles set before 2005 - prehistoric in software terms. There’s only ever been one queue, and no facility to save a queue whilst retaining a pointer to the current track, nor is there the facility to have more than one queue.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I use Sonos for my TV as well.

It’s possible on phones, so it must also be possible for Sonos to make it possible to access the original queue and continue it.

Hi
I have about 2500 MP3 files in my music library.
When I start playing, everything is fine - but then I fx. watch some tv, when I again want to hear music and start playing the music library playlist it starts from number 1 again. Isn’t there a way that Sonos remember the last song played and can continue from there???

If you pause Sonos and watch TV, when you come back to Sonos you unpause it and it will play from exactly where you left off - providing that watching the TV and playing Sonos are two discrete activities. It even retains the pointer if you use a line in source.

However, if you’re using Sonos for your TV output as well, then surely you’re getting rid of the original queue and replacing it with something else - so reloading your playlist will always restart at 1.