Question

Sonos Microphone

• 11 August 2013
  • 8 replies

Whats the best way to add a microphone to the sonos system that is loud enough for a major event? We use the sonos system for our business and love it but we would love to be able to use it during an up coming event we are having. What Do you suggest for plugging in a microphone of some sort and how would you suggest connecting everything? Being a large event and facility,we need it to be as loud as our music which is amazingly loud.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a wireless microphone from radio shack I have used that has worked fine.

First you have to have a Sonos unit with an input (Play:5, Connect, or Connect:amp)

Then a wireless microphone set.  Here is example from Radio Shack where I got mine http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=25016156

But you can find them pretty easy a lot of electronic retailers.

oh also a cable to go to sonos.  example above has the standard which is 1/2" male phono plug needed.  Then other end for Play:5 need 3.5mm male phono on other or for connect/connect:amp need RCA male plugs on other end.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
oh also - if only for minor announcements.  There is an app for iphone called Sonos Voice that allows you to use your iphone as a microphone (would work with existing Play:1). 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You could with a microphone plugged into a play:5. Then you just need a router to link it all together. I have a mifi card and that works. Or plugging in and old router you may have.

First you have to have a Sonos unit with an input (Play:5, Connect, or Connect:amp)

Then a wireless microphone set.  Here is example from Radio Shack where I got mine http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=25016156

oh also a cable to go to sonos.  example above has the standard which is 1/2" male phono plug needed.  Then other end for Play:5 need 3.5mm male phono on other or for connect/connect:amp need RCA male plugs on other end.

Hi Chris,

Can you tell me where you found the cable connecting the Play 5 to this Pyle Pro unit?  I am having a hard time finding it.

Thanks in advance!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What Pyle pro unit do you have and what are you trying to do with it.

I was planning to purchase the unit you mentioned in your link about (Pyle Pro PDWM2500 Dual VHF Wireless Microphone System) so that my daughter can use a microphone with our Sonos system.
undefined

This is exactly how I ended up here...searching for a solution like this. I have Sonos speakers all over the house and outside...would be great to use the speakers like an intercom system. Speak into your smartphone running the Sonos app and broadcast to all or select speakers.
Hello,

You can try this app from itunes:
Intercom for Sonos
By Von Bruno

🙂