Answered

Sonos keeps dropping my music library and/or can't find music library

Badge

I recently got a new Mac and it’s running Catalina OS (10.15.6). I migrated all of my files over to the new mac and, at first, I was able to add my music library to Sonos but then all of a sudden my music stopped and the library had disappeared. I tried to add the library again and I chose the “My Music folder” icon under “Music Library Settings” and I got the error “Sonos was unable to add the music folder. The computer “blah-blah” cannot be found.” So then I went back and picked the “another folder connected to my computer” icon and I chose the main music folder in User. Sonos will act like it’s working and will even say that my music is being added and it will show that it is indexing the library but then it just goes away….disappears….poof. So then I go back and try to add that folder again and it will say it can’t be found. omg….sooooo frustrating.

Please please please help. I have a hunch it’s this new OS -- it no longer supports 32-bit applications. If that is the case please let me know if you are updating the Sonos app. The Sonos app on my computer and my phone are both up to date. My Mac name is the same as my old computer and I think the folder name where my music is located has stayed the same.

I have 6- Play 1’s. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by zilnagrom 7 August 2020, 17:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @zilnagrom.

Thanks for reaching out and for your detailed post.

I would be more than glad to assist you with this concern.

When issues like this spring up the more information we can gather about the issue will help us resolve the problem.

• Make sure that your firewall is properly configured for use with Sonos, then try adding or using your music library once more. You can find instructions on how to configure your firewall with Sonos in this article.
  • Try disabling File Sharing in System Preferences > Sharing. Just uncheck “File Sharing” if it’s not already unchecked, and try re-adding your music library on your Mac.
  • You may also check this article, that will outline some further steps you can take if you’re unable to add a new music library share or unable to play music from an existing music library share.

If that doesn’t help, kindly please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system further and it will also help in identifying what's causing the issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

Hi, Annazel,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I actually fixed the problem last night and would like to share the fix should other users have the same problem.

When I set up my new computer I migrated my files from an older Mac so my music was still in my iTunes folder. I think that might have confused the OS since the app is no longer “iTunes” and is simply “Music”. So I did a little research and changed where my music files are stored. It transferred all of my music files to my “Music” folder. Once it did that it asked if I would like to match the previous configuration that I had (ie: organize the songs and artists with the albums, etc) so I chose “yes” and, voila -- everything is just like I had it but in a different location. Then I went to add my music library to my Sonos and I chose the “My Music” icon and it updated/indexed my Music Library and all is good. Please note: I had to delete the Sonos app from my iPhone and re-install it and “connect to an existing system” before my phone app would recognize the new location. So I am up and running and it’s all good.

Like I said, maybe this will help others who are having the same issue. Here’s the link that explains it:

https://support.apple.com/guide/music/change-where-music-files-are-stored-mus69248042d/mac

Thanks again for your help. I hope this info will help you should you come across the same issue with someone else.

Liz

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @zilnagrom.

Thanks for your response and for the good news.

I’m so glad to hear about it and highly appreciate you providing us what you have done to resolve it.

Definitely, this is going to be very helpful to members of the community who might encounter the same situation.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always here to help.

You are always welcome in the community.

Cheers!

Badge

You are very welcome. I hope my solution can help someone else down the line.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Apologies if this is a repeat, I’m of a certain age that’s not very good with computer jargon but reasonably confident with setting up stuff, such as Sonos, and correcting glitches when they happen.

My Sonos has rarely let me down but it sure is making up for that now, but only with my Music Library. It streams from tunein, amazon etc perfectly even though if I wake up my screen on the mac it tells me it can’t find a sonos system even though it’s still playing streamed services, so no worries. However, when I play something from the Library, it plays for a couple of tracks and then drops out, showing the same message on the Sonos App, can’t find your sonos system (or something similar).

We don’t run too much from wifi; an apple tablet thingy, 2 apple iPhones and Alexa, that’s it.

We still have my old bridge, would that sort things out without changing wifi settings, does anyone know? I really want to keep a fix as simple as possible.

Many thanks for reading,

Del

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @delray.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate your detailed post outlining your concern, let me help and try to figure this out.

When issues like this spring up, the more information we can gather about the issue will help us resolve the problem. 

Kindly please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system and it will also help in identifying what's causing the issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Annazel,

Thanks so much for answering so quickly, I’ll (try to) do as you ask and we’ll go from there.

I’ll be back shortly,

Many thanks and best regards,

Del

edit; here is the dianostics number, 1245084636.

Cheers.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @delray

Thanks for the immediate response and for submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, there are transport errors detected by the system that causes an audio interruption.

Commonly, this issue can come as a result of wireless interference, this article will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products.

If your music is stored on a device that connects to your router’s WiFi network, move the device (computer) closer to the router to strengthen the wireless signal.

If the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report, preferably while the issue is happening and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Did I say I was ‘confident of correcting glitches...’? Hmm, can I rephrase that? I have no idea what I’m doing so I’m going to ask if I can borrow my 10 year old great nephew to do the suggested ‘fix’ and after that I’m sending him up the chimney to fix that too…..

I’ll be back.

Del

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Annezel.

Apologies for going silent but I’m just a little embarrassed about my so called problem, which I’ve ‘solved’ very simply. My Sonos is running on a Mac and all I had to do was adjust the Energy Saver on Settings. “Turn Display Off After”….  to ‘never’ from ‘2 minutes’ or something. 

It would appear that my Sonos can’t access the library when the Mac goes into sleep mode, but it can play internet radio and I’m not going to question why, just accept that it now works perfectly and I’m delighted. The downside is, we have to remember to put it to ‘sleep’ when we ‘ve finished using the Mac, but that’s not a big deal, just a new habit.

I hope this is a long term fix; who knows, but thanks anyway for your attention.

Best regards,

Del

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @delray.

Many thanks for your response and for the update, my sincerest apologies for the delay in our response time.

That was awesome, I’m glad to hear that the issue was already resolved and you did great because you were able to figure that out.

You are absolutely right, if the music library source (computer or NAS drive) is powered off or asleep, Sonos will not be able to reach the files in your music library.

If your music is being interrupted because your computer is falling asleep, you can adjust its sleep settings in Control Panel > Power Options (Windows) or System Preferences > Energy Saver (macOS).

You may also refer to this support article in the future, for some common steps you can take if you will encounter error when using a music library.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out, we are here to help.

You are always welcome here in the community.

Cheers!

@delray .  To help with understanding why the internet radio can play on, you have to distinguish between the Sonos app as a controller (whether it is on a mobile device or computer) and the music source.  The app is just a controller, it sends a message to your speaker saying ‘fetch the music from X’.  Once the music is playing, it will carry on playing until it is told to stop, or the source of music becomes unavailable.

When your computer goes to sleep, the source of the music stored on it becomes unavailable.  But the internet radio is still available, coming straight through your router to the speaker, with your computer not involved.

I hope that helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Annazel and John B,

Apologies, I have not checked back here for some while and had not seen your replies.

Thanks for taking the time to read a nd reply it’s much appreciated and I have a fuller understanding of how the Sonos App works with my computer and with the internet. Basic to you guys I know, but not to me!!

Everything is now perfect, so all is well.

Cheers all and best regards,

Del

Badge

Wanted to share my NAS MUSIC LIBRARY experience in the hope that others with similar issue might benefit.  
I too was having a problem adding my NAS attached music library to SONOS.  I could occasionally get the library to attach and play, but it would not stay attached for long. It was very unstable.  It was very frustrating.  
Finally with the help of a very knowledgeable SONOS Supervisor, we figured it out.  My network consisted of a Comcast modem/router and a separate Netgear router. My Windows computer was Ethernet attached to my Netgear router.  My SONOS devices were wirelessly connected to my Netgear router as well. My WD NAS was Ethernet connected to my Comcast modem/router. 
When my SONOS App tried to find my NAS, it most often couldn’t because SONOS was on a different network. Occasionally it would find it, but the connection was very unstable and would drop within minutes. 
My problem was solved by switching my NAS to the Netgear router. Once SONOS and the NAS were on the same network, SONOS was able to find my music library and attach in a stable and lasting way.
Hope this helps others with similar issues. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @delray.

Thanks for your response and update.

It’s so nice to hear that all is well now, I appreciate your time and patience in working through this.

If you may have questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Cheers!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Raydec.

We highly appreciate your time and effort in sharing this with us.

I’m glad to hear that it is stable and I’m looking forward to the continuous smooth sailing of your system.

It can definitely help those community members that might encounter the same issue.

If you may have questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Cheers!