Answered

Sonos Internet radio, FLAC support?

• 10 January 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
After doing a bit of research, I was stumped to see that Sonos DOESN'T support radio stations in the FLAC format...

Insanity radio is one of the radio stations I would listen to that HAS a lossless FLAC stream!

So... is there any plans to add support for this? It would be AMAZING if you did! :)

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 January 2018, 23:16

You won't get a comment from Sonos on their plans for most things. It's only announced, generally speaking, when it's a partnership (Apple, Amazon, Google size ) thing, but even those aren't always announced significantly before they occur. What you'd likely get is the standard (and perfectly reasonable) response that they appreciate your interest, and that they'll pass on the request to the team for consideration.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You won't get a comment from Sonos on their plans for most things. It's only announced, generally speaking, when it's a partnership (Apple, Amazon, Google size ) thing, but even those aren't always announced significantly before they occur. What you'd likely get is the standard (and perfectly reasonable) response that they appreciate your interest, and that they'll pass on the request to the team for consideration.
Userlevel 4

Fair enough! Thanks for letting me know. Well now that's addressed I'll consider this thread answered.
Wish I had a better answer for you, honestly. But being in software development myself, I certainly understand Sonos' reticence to give any specificity to whether or not they're working on something, and when it will be released. There's been many a time when I've been ready to announce a feature myself, when it ended up breaking/being rewritten/completely failing. Much better to keep mum until it's actually ready for release.

Just didn't want you to get your hopes up on a definitive answer 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That's interesting that they don't support live FLAC radio, but they do support streaming FLAC from Tidal and Deezer Elite...

Though I tried playing Insanity Radio FLAC in VLC on my computer, and it didn't work there either. Got a different station - AI-Radio - to work in VLC, but it still doesn't play through Sonos (connection speed insufficient to maintain buffer).
Userlevel 4
That's interesting that they don't support live FLAC radio, but they do support streaming FLAC from Tidal and Deezer Elite...

Though I tried playing Insanity Radio FLAC in VLC on my computer, and it didn't work there either. Got a different station - AI-Radio - to work in VLC, but it still doesn't play through Sonos (connection speed insufficient to maintain buffer).

Interesting! I just tried that too and Insanity also dodn't work but AI Radio did! But it still proves the point that Sonos doesn't stream FLAC on the radio. Maybe it's just not worth them implementing as those two radio stations are pretty much the only radio stations that have FLAC (though not sure about Insanity). Most modern radio stations can stream 320Kb/ps MP3 which still sounds good.

One complaint I have with radio stations - and this will also apply if FLAC is supported - is loudness normalisation. That makes most music incomparable to Spotify or Tidal for example.
Userlevel 4
Also if you go to Sonos' support page for player supported codecs https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/80/~/supported-audio-formats you can see under Internet streaming that only 3 codecs are listed.