Answered

Sonos HD Radio geoblocked or just by account location?

• 25 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi.

I have a Canadian Sonos account but bounce back and forth between Brasil and Canada. I have Sonos gear in both countries. I know I can purchase Sonos HD Radio with a Canadian credit card and play it in Canada. But will it continue to work with that account when I return to Brasil, or will it be geoblocked according to my IP address or by another locator method?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by kateoll 27 June 2022, 09:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I’ll answer my own question, for those who are interested.

I am now back in Brasil, with a Sonos HD Radio trial billed in Canada. It cannot be natively used in a country where the service isn’t offered, so my Canada account won’t work in Brasil. The HD features simply will not appear on the Sonos controller, whether it is on a PC, iOS system or Android device. The only things that appear are the stations, features etc. associated with the standard Sonos free radio service. However, using a VPN set to a Canadian server on any of those controller devices works. The Sonos HD Radio stations and other features appear with a VPN. There is no need to put the entire network on the VPN.

In the end, I don’t think Sonos HD Radio is offering me much bang for the buck, so I will not be subscribing beyond my trial. The need to use a VPN makes it even less useful.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I'm the absence of a definitive answer I have just started the month-long free trial in Canada. I'll be back in Brasil in a week. I'll post my results here when I return to Brasil.

Hi.

I have a Canadian Sonos account but bounce back and forth between Brasil and Canada. I have Sonos gear in both countries. I know I can purchase Sonos HD Radio with a Canadian credit card and play it in Canada. But will it continue to work with that account when I return to Brasil, or will it be geoblocked according to my IP address or by another locator method?

Thanks.

I think it will not be blocked