Question

Sonos Forcing Spotify Free on Desktop to Shuffle Music

Normally when I stream music on my spotify free account the music isnt shuffled if I play on my desktop device or tablet however ever since upgrading to the S2 app when I stream these on my sonos play:1 after a couple of songs the app forces spotify to shuffle the music. If I switch back to streaming through my PC the issue goes away and I can stream (with ads) any song I choose. 

Anyone else having this issue or any solutions? I've restarted my system and have tested this on several spotify accounts and again after just a few songs the shuffle appears but all greyed out. Similalry I can choose to play any song on my desktop but it will only play in order. Clicking on a song to play it again it will just shuffle to a similar song. Reallya nnoying cause its worked great up until now. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @NickRobinson1, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I would like to clarify this only happens on the Sonos Mobile App.

If so, I would like you to check other Music Services if they produce the same behavior.

If not, take a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number. Settings > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic.

We’ll take a closer look at the system.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Hi there thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately it happens across all devices where I have the Sonos app installed. 
After a couple of songs the 🔀 becomes active but greyed out so that I can’t turn it off. This is expected on Spotify for mobile but not desktop devices. I’ll submit a diagnostic. 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @NickRobinson1, thank you for the update.

Please don’t forget to post the confirmation number of the diagnostic; so, we can take a look.

My confirmation number is: 2132256436

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @NickRobinson1, thank you for the update.

I checked the diagnostic, I see Alexa skill enabled on the control logs of the Play:1.

I would like to ask if you’re using the Play:1 in conjunction with Alexa or just playing Spotify through the Sonos App.

If you do use Alexa, she might be the one shuffling the songs; ask her to “turn off shuffle”.

If you don’t use Alexa, tell us how you usually play songs on the Play:1? through our Sonos app or using the Spotify Direct control from the Spotify app.

Update us with your findings.

Hi Kyle,

I don’t think it is Alexa since we really don’t use it for playing music and I don’t think it’s even register on my account (it doesn’t appear as an option to stream too on spotify). 

In regards to playing music I use direct control from Spotify and stream onto my play 1, but after a couple of songs the shuffle is activated and cannot be switched off until I stop streaming through Sonos. If I go to the Sonos app the shuffle also is greyed out and cannot be altered.

Interestingly I am able to select a song that I haven’t played before during a session but cannot pan through the song using the songs progress bar at the bottom. Similarly, the select previous button is greyed out but the select next is activate. The behaviour in seeing is just as if it were on the mobile device and I wonder if somehow my laptop is being detected as this (although it does that a few songs for this to occur).

With this being said I do have the iOS 14 beta and perhaps this is the issue, however my laptop which is not running any beta software so I don’t understand why it’s being  affected. Also with my tablet that does have the beta software I can play music  as normal provided I’m not streaming on the Sonos so again would be be surprised but I figured it would be worth mentioning in case there is a potential error with Sonos and iOS14 you should know about. Additionally I did remove both the Sonos app and Spotify app from and beta software running device a however this did not have any affect when streaming to the Sonos from my Mac.  Similarly I have logged out of Spotify, tried different accounts, reauthorised Spotify with Sonos. 

Sorry for the rather large reply but I wanted to give a complete breakdown of everything going on. 

Many thanks, 

Nick 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @NickRobinson1, thank you for the update and sorry for the late response.

No need to apologize, having a detailed explanation of the situation is actually appreciated.

The issue would need to be escalated, this is not normal behavior of the shuffle function.

I would recommend calling our Phone support; as they have the option to add a test account and have a screen share session.

They can also escalate this further if need be. The phone number is 1 800 680 2345 and they’re available Mondays to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

I have this same issue. I use Spotify free on my laptop; when I connect the laptop to my Beam and then change songs it turns on shuffle. I can’t turn it off by clicking the shuffle icon, but I can turn it off by selecting the beam again. But then if I skip songs or select a new song in the middle of a playlist it turns on shuffle again. If I just start playing a playlist it does not turn on shuffle. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Vancouver Dave, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

Thank you for getting our attention to this, I would like to test a few things.

If you don’t connect to the Sonos Beam, does the Spotify app do the same behavior?

Also, when using Spotify in the Sonos app does the behavior occur?

If not, I would recommend calling our Phone support to document the issue.

1 800 680 2345 Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET for US support.

hi,

I ve the same issue, when i play spotify via sonos speaker shuffle fuction comes on automatically and it won’t  allow me to  deactivate. Please help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @luizamatt, welcome to the Sonos Community, and thank you for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

Upon checking on this, this is a feature from Spotify. If you’re using the free service, you can listen to any playlist via shuffle, or select any track on playlists without the Shuffle icon.

If you're a Premium user you can select any track from a playlist or album, or play the opening track and Spotify will automatically play the remaining tracks in the order they’re listed. You also have the option to Shuffle. 

You may reach out with Spotify for further assistance or you can check out the following links from the Spotify website.

Reference:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Can-t-turn-off-shuffle-play/td-p/726563
https://support.spotify.com/ph/article/tutorial-videos/

We're here to answer any further questions you have.