Sonos fails to play random songs in playlist

• 9 July 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
Sonos fails to play random songs in playlist that it used to play without error. Songs are stored on updated Windows 10 PC. Sonos had been playing the songs in the playlist *without a problem* since Sonos speakers (Playbase and Play5) were installed in June 2017. However, after update to Sonos Controller for PC version 8.6, errors include:
(1) The path is invalid (Sonos is trying to use an old path that hasn't existed for 8 months)
(2) The song could not be found
(3) Unable to play the song
Attempted solutions include:
(1) Steps provided in "Music library troubleshooting" article in Sonos support
(2) Manage > Update Music Library Now
(3) Removed the music folder from Sonos and added it back again, letting Sonos re-analyze the folder
(4) Completely uninstalled Sonos app (including folders in Program Files, ProgramData, and AppData/Local). Rebooted, reinstalled.
(5) Rebooted both Sonos speakers.
Any suggestions not already tried?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, MacInOhio. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Seems like there is a problem accessing your music. Since you've already tried most of the steps offered on our FAQ, it would be best to give our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They can set up a remote session and get a closer look at the connectivity on the network.
Badge
Thank you for the advice. I failed to ask my real question. Since "Manage > Update Music Library Now" does NOT in fact update the music library info stored in the Sonos speakers (evidence: they are trying to access some songs using old path data that has not been valid for months), why not? Why isn't there a way to refresh the index information stored in the speakers????
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
"Update Music Library" is updating an already existing library path. For instance, if I buy a new album and import it into iTunes, it is added to my local music library. I would need to have Sonos update it's Music Library Index to bring in the new content.

If you change the location of your library, you will need to re-introduce the new and proper path by removing the library and re-adding.

I am happy to forward this along to the team for feedback and consideration in the meantime. Thanks!