Answered

Sonos doesn't recognise one album in my music library

• 16 February 2020
  • 3 replies

I keep my music library on a NAS drive and stream from there to my Sonos. Which works well. Except that one album by my favourite band cannot be seen by Sonos (and therefore can’t be played).  I have uninstalled/rebooted etc and still no luck, but I can see the album on the drive and can play it on my laptop through Apple Music and through Quick Time - it was actually one of the first albums i bought on iTunes when i first got an iPod in 2006.  I have tried deleting it from the drive and re-downloading it from the Apple Store. But still no joy.  I separately have another stereo system and have played it on that in the past but this is now not recognising it either (although it is showing it in the library) - it skips over each track rather than playing it. Which suggested to me that there was a problem with the data file, which gave rise to the delete / redownload attempts, but as I’m not great with IT i then had no further ideas.  Any help gratefully received.

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 20 February 2020, 23:56

Hi there @JR850 

Thank you for reaching out to the community with your question. 

If this is the only album that does not play, are you able to verify that it is in a compatible file format.

If the album is in an Apple DRM/copy protected format, you will not be able to play it as a part of a music library indexed to your Sonos system.    

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @JR850 

Thank you for reaching out to the community with your question. 

If this is the only album that does not play, are you able to verify that it is in a compatible file format.

If the album is in an Apple DRM/copy protected format, you will not be able to play it as a part of a music library indexed to your Sonos system.    

It is an apple format (m4a) but not the protected format (m4p). So it seems a bit odd that this one album won’t play, there are others that I've purchased over the years from apple that are just fine!  I will try the music library route to see if that gets round whatever the issue is with this one album!

Thank you for your help - especially of the music library means i can play it :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Have you tried converting the album to mp3, in iTunes. 

A few years ago I converted all my m4a files to mp3.