Sonos do not support Spotify playlists "extended with local music", please fix!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

I don't think it's a spotify issue. I got no problem at all streaming locally stored files to cheap bluetooth speakers..
I don't think it's a spotify issue. I got no problem at all streaming locally stored files to cheap bluetooth speakers..

That's because Bluetooth simply takes the phone audio and transmits it to the speaker. Which is why you get phone calls, alerts, notifications, etc. interrupting the music when you use Bluetooth. Unlike Bluetooth, Sonos gets the stream directly from the source, doing any decoding needed to play the stream itself, bypassing the phone audio entirely. So, in order to play DRM protected files, the Sonos player would need the decryption scheme on the player itself, which companies like Spotify and Apple are not going to do for 3rd party hardware.

To sum it up, Sonos is far more than a Bluetooth speaker, which is a great thing, but it is also under some limitations and this is one.
Got the beta up and running, pretty awesome that everything runs out of Spotify app directly. Smooth switching between various devices as well as groups (just hot links to Sonos app screen for speaker selection, but you would barely know it). Still doesn't solve the problem this thread was started for though. To be clear, I've got music stored locally that is imported into Spotify (plays via my PC), then is downloaded to my Android (plays via Spotify app), but when I select the Sonos system as a device it won't work. If the song is already playing on my Android speaker through Spotify app then I get a message saying, "Can't play this right now" when I go to switch to my Sonos device. If another song is playing on my Sonos through Spotify app and I switch to a song that is stored locally, I get a message saying, "Sorry, you can't play this content while connected to another device."

Playing Sonos via Spotify app is a very welcome upgrade, but still doesn't fix the biggest problem to me...playing locally stored files through Sonos!

I have been looking for a solution to this problem for so long 😞. Hopefully Spotify/Sonos figure this out. I have sooo manyu local files (mostly remixes) that deserve to be blasted through my house. Lets get this fix going!
Yes I agree. I really need this function too. Sonos when are you going to do something about this?
Yes I agree. I really need this function too. Sonos when are you going to do something about this?

Are you people incapable of reading? This is not a Sonos issue, as has been pointed out at least twice in this thread.
I would just like Sonos to know that I have decided to not go for a Sonos device because of this issue with Sonos. Sonos you have to get this issue sorted out because you are losing customers like myself because of it.

Are you people incapable of reading? This is not a Sonos issue, as has been pointed out at least twice in this thread.

Why is this not a Sonos issue? Please explain to me how it isn't Sonos? I want Sonos to be able to play my local music on a local NAS or file store area. The Spotify app is able to do this and so is the Sonos device. There is definitely a way for Sonos to pull the track from the local network to play the local track in the spotify playlist.
There is no way for a Sonos device to pull and play a DRM copy protected Spotify track without utilizing Spotify's DRM decryption. Spotify and other services only allow their DRM decryption on their own apps, not 3rd part hardware. So while it may be a Sonos problem, there is nothing Sonos can do about it without the decryption algorithm from Spotify (not happening) or breaking DRM (which is breaking the law).
Userlevel 2
There is no way for a Sonos device to pull and play a DRM copy protected Spotify track without utilizing Spotify's DRM decryption. Spotify and other services only allow their DRM decryption on their own apps, not 3rd part hardware. So while it may be a Sonos problem, there is nothing Sonos can do about it without the decryption algorithm from Spotify (not happening) or breaking DRM (which is breaking the law).

Ok, I think I understand what the issue is, but doesn't Spotify already allow Sonos to use Spotify DRM to play the entire Spotify library? Allowing Sonos to play those seems like a much larger potential liability issue than allowing users to stream tracks they already own to Sonos. I'd be happy to agree to a condition that I represent to Spotify that I own the tracks I want to play.

If they are not going to fix this, it would be helpful if Spotify had a pop up telling the user why the Sonos speaker isn't available. It's taken me a whole morning to get to the bottom of the issue, which is highly counter intuitive because I can play the tracks on Sonos and on Spotify but not on Sonos via Spotify...
You'd have to ask Spotify those questions. It is their policy and their DRM. All I know is the vast majority of streaming companies do not allow DRM protected downloads to play on third party hardware.
Userlevel 2
Ok, so now we understand that this is an issue at Spotify's end, I suggest we all go and post on the Spotify Community, here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Windows-Phone-etc/unable-to-play-local-music-files-on-sonos/m-p/1646519#M31833
Badge
The fix: use Google Music to upload and play your local files on Sonos. Unlike Spotify, Google Music will also respect your gapless local albums and mixtapes. Use Spotify for all other music. Yes I pay for Spotify and for Google Music. Unfortunately that's the way it is until Spotify starts treating local files properly. Going fully for Google Music is no option since they suck at music suggestions and you can't see what your FB friends are playing.