Sonos do not support Spotify playlists "extended with local music", please fix!

Userlevel 1
Hi, In Spotify there is a possibility to add your local music (songs on your harddrive) to your spotify playlists. I have "extended" almost all my spotify playlists like this. However, while my Sonos system have access to the same local music, these "local songs" are not present when I play these "extended" Spotify playlists through the Sonos system!! I could of course manually make sonos playlists which includes both the spotify songs and the local songs, but this would take forever (several 1000s of songs in total). I have already invested many hours over the years with the spotify lists and I do not want to spend many hours again (for something that should be "the work of a computer" 🙂 Hopefully this should be possible to fix easliy, or? Let me know! Many thanks! Jim

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

I agree!

But if I'm correct you have to make the "local music" available offline on every Spotify device (like phone or tablet).
So I was wondering if it can be done on the Sonos hardware.
There should be some storage to download the music on.
Right?
Add me to the list of users wanting this feature to be implemented. I'd *really* be grateful to you if you could add a feature to look for your PC's audio files when an file is marked as "unknown" on a Spotify's playlist, indeed most of the times that file is a local audio file added to a Spotify playlist that can be found in the local area music folder. PLEASE, it's important.
Userlevel 2
Living on the west coast of Ireland, Internet services can be slow and intermittent. Therefore being able to play locally saved spotify play lists makes an essential and substantial difference.
a massive +1 one for that feature - have all my playlists in place in spotify now with a lot of legacy / local imports from my "old" itunes library, amongst it a lot of rare electro stuff I would not find anywhere on commercial streaming services ; syncs beautifully to my spotify devices but sonos-wise i'm stuck with streaming them from an ios-device to the line in of my sonos:amp via an airport express, as spotify playlists only appear without the local files on my sonos devices - rebuilding all my playlists for sonos from local files is not really an option as at that point I would create redundant lists i'd need to manually sync / maintain (apart from an immense amount of work at the outset which is unfeasible in the first place)
Badge
Another massive +1 - I would also really need this functionality! And since Spotify and Sonos are pointing at the same file, it seems possible..?
Seems like Sonos is not working with this function at all but it's a really huge issue for me as well! Please Sonos help us out with this function!
Userlevel 1
Hej

Sorry for not responding here. Yes I agree that it seems Sonos do not listen to this idea. Could it be that this is a job for Spotify themselves?, or that both parties needs to collaborate on this (and this makes it tricky and less of a "priority")? 

SOMEONE AT SONOS: PLEASE LET US KNOW IF WE SHOULD APPROACH SPOTIFY WITH THIS REQUEST! (Thanks, sorry for capital letters)

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know that I have started to use Google Music as well (in addition to Spotify), and there you can upload your local music to the google music service (in the cloud), and play these lists in your Sonos system directly (i.e, lists with a mixture of "rented music" and "local music"). 

But it is a pity that Spotify is not being developed any more on Sonos, it has had the same feature set now for years it seems (another example: Spotify Radio is not available on Sonos even though it is present in the normal spotify app and has been for quite a while. Google Music radio feature, on the other hand, is avaible and works very well through Sonos)..
A massive +1 for me too....  I have SONOS at my holiday home and unfortunately have a data limit when there so have to play my music very sparingly!  I have most of my Spotify play lists downloaded to my devices but can only use it this way if I hard-wire via the line in on my Play 5 and play direct from the Spotify app. This is not very flexible or impressive for guests and people who haven't seen SONOS before 😞
Badge
For me this is a reason to stop using Sonos. This must be supported, I have lots of local files in Spotify.

Fix this Sonos! 
Guys, please implement this! As of now I still see the use for my Sonos equipment but if a competitor comes out with a feature like this it will be hard for me not to switch as I have many local files in my Spotify playlists.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I agree - I am considering Sonos and this is a major issue for me. I have playlists in Spotify that have both Spotify tracks and local ones. The reason is simple - not all music is on Spotify. If you can play local tracks from my iTunes library you should just as easily be able to do this from Spotify. At the moment, I think I will sit on the sidelines to see if you implement this capability. 
I agree, the ability to play offline Spotify tracks would be a real bonus.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yep good idea.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I've decided to stick with Sonos, but am experimenting with Google Play, which addresses most of the issues I've had with Spotify, including this one.
Userlevel 2
Badge
So, SONOS can find and play Google All Play songs that you have cached locally on your computer?  I didn't realize that!  That's awesome.  
That might make me change over from Deezer, and make it clear that Spotify is not worth my money.  Thanks for sharing.  I was totally clueless.
Badge
Problem still not resolved - this sucks!!

Got playbar, sub and play 3's - and can't play all my music. Beginning to wonder if I should have gone with another system

Got playbar, sub and play 3's - and can't play all my music. Beginning to wonder if I should have gone with another system

Did you know that playing directly from the Spotify app to Sonos is now in beta?

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-version-70-now-entering-public-beta-for-android-mac-and-windows-pcs-6755181
Badge

Did you know that playing directly from the Spotify app to Sonos is now in beta?

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-version-70-now-entering-public-beta-for-android-mac-and-windows-pcs-6755181

Tried playing music from Sonos playlist AND Spotify app - won't play!! Driving me mad!
Badge
Just re-read your post - Did I misunderstand?
Just re-read your post - Did I misunderstand?

I'm not sure. Playing from the Spotify app requires you to join the beta and update your system to the beta software. It is also only available via Android/PC/Mac, not iOS devices. If you have not joined the beta, then you will have to wait for the general release.

Now I'm not sure if the new Spotify Direct Control in the beta release allows playing downloaded music or not, I've not tried. But since the reason it is not available on Sonos is because Spotify does not release their DRM to third parties, I would think this would not apply to playing directly from the Spotify app. Only way to find out is to try.
Badge
Tried the connect device link but Sonos doesn't show
Badge
How do you join the beta?

Don't worry - found it. will give it a go
Badge
Answer so far is no!
Got the beta up and running, pretty awesome that everything runs out of Spotify app directly. Smooth switching between various devices as well as groups (just hot links to Sonos app screen for speaker selection, but you would barely know it). Still doesn't solve the problem this thread was started for though. To be clear, I've got music stored locally that is imported into Spotify (plays via my PC), then is downloaded to my Android (plays via Spotify app), but when I select the Sonos system as a device it won't work. If the song is already playing on my Android speaker through Spotify app then I get a message saying, "Can't play this right now" when I go to switch to my Sonos device. If another song is playing on my Sonos through Spotify app and I switch to a song that is stored locally, I get a message saying, "Sorry, you can't play this content while connected to another device."

Playing Sonos via Spotify app is a very welcome upgrade, but still doesn't fix the biggest problem to me...playing locally stored files through Sonos!
I'm 100% sure this is a Spotify issue, not a Sonos issue. Local downloads are protected by Spotify DRM. Spotify would have to open their DRM to 3rd party streamers in order for Sonos to play them, something most services are not willing to do, for obvious reasons. Nothing Sonos can do about it, perhaps requesting it over at Spotify would have better results (though I doubt it).