Sonos cannot play radio station - due to Sonos Radio requires re-authorisation

• 13 January 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have 2 issues with his situation.

Firstly. I almost always start radio play from Sonos favourites. I simply get a message saying station cannot be played. I then navigate to Sonos Radio which tells me it has to re-authorise. So the message needs to change to tell me Sonos Radio needs re-authorising.

Secondly. It seems to need re-authorising at least once a week or even more often. This is excessive

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Stuart_W

Thanks for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern. My apologies for the late reply.

Upon further research, this was an issue in the past and has been already corrected by our engineers. The issue has been declared resolved but it looks like it’s still an issue on your end.

This would be resolved by refreshing the connection of your network devices and Sonos products. Let me suggest the steps that you can do to address this. 

• Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
  • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power.
  • Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
  • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
  • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

If you're still experiencing the same issue after the sequential reboot, I’d recommend to contact or phone support team for this to be escalated.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thankyou for the message.

I switched off all 12 Sonos devices yesterday, the router and re-started all. Also force closed (iOS) Soon controller (no mention of Mac desktop controller?)

This morning, just now, I tried to start a radio program and got message “Unable to play radio station”. Again it needed re-authorising.

I’m going to assume this is because I reset everything. But if not it will happen again I’ll post a diagnostic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It’s just failed to play a station started from favourites.

So we still have the useless message and 12 days since this last happened.

Please see diagnostic:- 11190560146

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

​Hi @Stuart_W

Thanks for getting back to us and for updating us. Sorry to hear that you're still having the same issue with Sonos Radio. The diagnostic detected audio dropout due to sync errors and audio playback failure which caused the issue unable to play selected content, playback has stopped and may be attempting to skip to other tracks in the queue. Let me suggest the next steps and see if there'll be improvement with your Sonos system.

1. Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Network > Networks > SonosNet Channel > Set it to 6
  2. Remove and re-add the Sonos Radio music service.
    • Test playback from and observe Sonos performance.

If you're still experiencing the same, I recommend contacting our phone support team for this to be escalated. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @Rowena B. Not sure you actually read my issue?

1. Audio did not “drop out”. I was trying to START a radio station from favourites (A stored Sonos Radio station). I twice got an error message it couldn’t be played. Navigating to Sonos Radio it informed me it needed to be re-authorised.
  2. I have changed Channel to 6
  3. As you should very well know Sonos Radio cannot be removed and then re-adde

If it happens again I’ll add a new diagnostic

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@Rowena B. 

App on iPhone required re-authorising again this morning

Please advise

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Stuart_W, thanks for keeping us posted on this. Sorry for the confusion. You're right that the Sonos Radio cannot be removed or re-add in the Sonos app. Have you tried signing in for the free trial? You can take advantage of the trial period for Sonos Radio and cancel it before it ends. We appreciate all your effort in working with us to address your concern. To further help you with this, I would recommend contacting our phone support team for more troubleshooting steps. Let us know if you need help with any other information, we're here to assist you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@Rowena B. This is a community forum for mutual help and I don’t appreciate the marketing effort thank you.

This issue isn’t bothersome enough to warrant calling phone support and I’ll be honest that the level of technical support I’ve received from the Sonos support here is unusually shallow.

The least you could is confirm the useless “error” message fixed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Stuart_W, thanks for your quick response and for sharing your feedback with us. You shouldn’t have been experiencing this issue on Sonos Radio since it was resolved by our engineers. This could be an isolated case contacting our phone support is the next step and perhaps escalate this to the next level for further investigation. We’re sorry if your experience didn’t match your expectation for we can only guide you on basic troubleshooting steps. Our phone support has the tools in determining what’s going on in your system. If you may have questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out. We are always here to help.

Badge

Good morning I had the same issue this morning needed to re authorise the radio. I have to do this every few months. My wife won’t use the Sonos now and will listen to the radio on her Google Portal stating “ a radio should not have to be so complicated “ I have a lot of sympathy with her view. If I had my overall experience with Sonos over the years I would never have purchased it. Too many issues for me. Can’t be bothered making out a ticket even in lockdown there are better things to do with ones time. Cheers Tom Aberdeenshire