Sonos Beam for laptop

• 22 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi there

i have a problem similar like others already asked.  I want to use the beam as a computer speaker. My setup is a monitor with hdmi in, displayport in and aux. I connect my laptop via hdmi cable to the monitor. I heard that i‘ts possible to play music over the beam with an audio converter. I bought myself this model https://www.wish.com/product/5ea7f51d9a24065b37e22773?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=CH&_force_currency_code=CHF&pid=googleadwords_int&c=%7BcampaignId%7D&ad_cid=5ea7f51d9a24065b37e22773&ad_cc=CH&ad_lang=DE&ad_curr=CHF&ad_price=19.00&campaign_id=9527731137&exclude_install=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_drer5Ww7gIVxRV7Ch2dhgIJEAQYASABEgJNI_D_BwE&share=mobileweb

probably not the best one i know, but it has all the in– and outputs i need and should work as far as i know. So i connected my laptop,via hdmi to the hdmi in at the audio converter, then one hdmi from hdmi out (converter) to my monitor and the digital optical cable/hdmi earc (cable from sonos) from the converter to the sonos beam. I switched the converter to 5.1 but there‘s no sound coming from the beam. Does anyone has an idea why this doesn‘t work?

Thank you all for your time and support, i‘m a bit lost at the moment because i‘d really like to have the beam as a computer speaker if somehow possible..

cheers Jeremy

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Check which audio mode the PC is sending (2.0 or DD 5.1, no DTS or DD+), and set the switch on your adapter to pass-thru.

Also check the About System page in the Sonos app to see what it thinks is coming into Audio In.

The Beam requires an HDMI-ARC signal not HDMI,  because it is intended for use with a TV,  not as a computer speaker. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The Beam requires an HDMI-ARC signal not HDMI,  because it is intended for use with a TV,  not as a computer speaker. 

The OP is using an adapter to extract audio to spdif.

The OP is using an adapter to extract audio to spdif.

Thanks. I should have read more carefully