Answered

Sonos Arc and Tidal Dolby Tracks using iphone?

• 10 April 2022
  • 3 replies

I am running the arc via an LG tv and using the iphone to control settings(via sonos app) and I just read that tidal atmos tracks were now available on my iphone tidal app so was wondering how to “stream” them to my sonos arc.............

1)Firstly I get the atmos symbol showing correctly on my tidal app on the iphone when I look at a atmos track

2)I get atmos tracks to play when i use the LG tv's tidal app (I know this because atmos symbol appears on the sonos app on my iphone)

3)When I try and play/stream to my sonos setup atmos tracks from my iphone tidal app - I get a few streaming options at the top i) firstly using my internal iphone speaker i get the atmos symbol displaying correctly and atmos is played ok ii)I also have a speaker symbol with my sonos room name - however this seems to play (be capped) at hi-fi quality if I try and stream an atmos track iii)I have an airplay streaming option with my sonos room name and this appears with the atmos symbol but it appears on my sonos app just as “airplay” not dolby (does not confirm what format its playing) - so not sure if its correctly streaming the atmos track to sonos?(or even if airplay supports atmos)

Just wondering if someone can explain whats going on and confirm if the only way to play atmos on the sonos arc is via the tv's LG app? (note I also have apple music but suspect this is a similar story to tidal in terms of what's happening).

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 11 April 2022, 01:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

You cannot stream Dolby Atmos music directly from the TIDAL app on your phone or from the Sonos app to the Arc. You need to stream it from the TV’s native TIDAL app or from an external media device that supports Dolby Atmos music on TIDAL like an Apple TV 4K or Nvidia Shield.

thanks for the reply……

1)so when i stream via the airplay option what is it actually outputting 5.1 or a compressed atmos?

2)my 3rd stream option (after airplay and my phone speakers) - Iets me select my sonos room and seems to be limited to HiFi - what is this using? (seems to be a separate option to airplay) 

Userlevel 7

1. It is probably being downmixed to stereo.

2. Your 3rd stream option seems to be TIDAL Connect. This streaming option doesn’t support Dolby Atmos audio on Sonos. Read more here: https://tidal.com/connect