Question

Sonos app on Android: How to see my playlists?

• 13 September 2021
  • 11 replies

Sonos One + Android phone with large flac libary on phone.

I have a lot of playlists in my Android music player (Black Player EX)

How do I play these playlists in the Sonos app?

I SEE all my music, and I see my playlists in the Sonos Playlist area, but the playlists show no tracks, and when I try to play them I get an error: “Unable to add songs to the Queue”

My music library is on an SD card, not the phone’s native storage.

Right now, on Sonos I am confined to playing albums and tracks. That works fine, but I NEED MY PLAYLISTS TO ALSO WORK.

I have no other source of music. Please tell me how to solve this!

11 replies

Userlevel 7

Read this article:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3198?language=en_US

NOTE: Sonos supports FLAC files on the S2 app up to 48 kHz/24-bit:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/79?language=en_US

@GuitarSuperstar   Thanks for engaging, but your responses do not apply.

I have updated my post with more detail to help us answer the right question.

@GuitarSuperstar   Thanks for engaging, but your responses do not apply.

​ I have updated my post with more detail to help us answer the right question.

Perhaps see this thread from a few months back - it maybe the player you are using to create the playlists, perhaps?

@Ken_Griffiths Thanks!  I reviewed that thread in detail.

It does not apply to my situation, because the Sonos app DOES see my playlists (created in BlackPlayer EX), but has two issues:

• Tracks in the playlist do not show up in the Sonos app
  • If I try to play the playlist, the Sonos app throws an error “ Unable to add songs to the Queue “ and plays nothing

Let me know other thoughts or paths forward!

Ack, I can no longer edit the OP, so I will add to it here:

In BlackPlayer, I can EXPORT my playlist to M3U (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U). When I do this and reboot the phone, the Sonos app now shows TWO copies of the playlist, however BOTH copies reflect the same, original problem:

• Tracks in the playlist do not show up in the Sonos app
  • If I try to play the playlist, the Sonos app throws an error “ Unable to add songs to the Queue “ and plays nothing

I would maybe try a different App other than BlackPlayer (just with a couple of tracks, and as a temporary option) and just see if that solves the issue. It maybe the issue somehow lies with access to the library tracks via playlists and external applications , perhaps🤔?

@Ken_Griffiths   Thanks! Is there an Android music player that is known to work with Sonos in this environment?

(No point me going off and trying something that is not known to work...)

@Ken_Griffiths   Thanks! Is there an Android music player that is known to work with Sonos in this environment?

(No point me going off and trying something that is not known to work...)

Sorry @SamJones6, I don’t know the answer to that one, as I mostly use iOS, but hopefully someone else may read this and chip in with a suggestion for you to try.🤞

@Ken_Griffiths  Yeah. I do not see a single success story based on the architecture I have. Am I missing something?

I get the feeling Sonos may not be the right system for me. Kind of a bummer, because it is quite close to ideal.

@Ken_Griffiths Well, VLC Player seems to be the most popular player on Android (100M+ downloads!), so I tried it.

Made a playlist in VLC. Added 2 songs to it. It plays fine in VLC Player. Rebooted phone to make sure the Sonos app would rescan what is on the phone, but the VLC playlist is not listed in Sonos at all.

So until someone chimes in, it appears my architecture simply does not work with Sonos at all.

VERY misleading by Sonos. (And pointless, it seems to me.) To say Sonos has “Android support” is not really true. It has limited functionality on Android.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can use the Android app to command the Sonos system. I'd say that's Android suppport. And you can play to the system from your phone (just no playlists from a certain app) - that's more than some users with older devices can do from their iPhones…….. 

Doesn't  your phone have a native music player you could try?

To me playing music that's on your phone seems like a very old fashioned notion. Since your phone is mobile (and so can be lost) I suppose your music files are also on a computer. Couldn't you work with those?