Answered

Sonos and Windows 10 SMBv1 Issue

It appears that Sonos requies SMBv1 functionality to be able to load and play from your music library. My understanding is that SMBv1 is no longer installed by default in Windows 10. And whenever there is a significant Windows 10 update, it comes without SMBv1 being installed. So, in these cases, my Sonos stops working. However, it's not always obvious when Microsoft reinstalls without SMBv1 so it usually takes a while for me to get my system operational again.

My first question is if Sonos has plans to change Sonos so that it does not require SMBv1 to operate properly? My concern is that in addition to being a hassle, at some point in the future, Microsoft is going to stop supporting or allow SMBv1 to be installed with Windows 10 at which time I won't be able to access my entire music library on Sonos from my laptop. Microsoft's official statement on this support is that Microsoft publicly deprecated the SMBv1 protocol in 2014. Usually, this means that they will eventually stop making it downloadable as part of its configuration options. Does Sonos have any plans in the not too distant future to modify Sonos so that it no longer requires the SMBv1 support? Or is anyone aware of a different workaround on Windows 10 computers if Microsoft stops allowing SMBv1 to be installed?

I also have a suggestion. When this situation occurs and you try to add or update a music library, you get an error message along the lines of "'Computer-name' has not responded". This is a very generic message and not at all useful in determining what the problem is. My suggestion is that while SMBv1 support is required that the Sonos program should determine if SMBv1 support is available and if it is not available give an error message saying that "SMBv1 support is not installed" instead of just saying that the computer is not responding. It would be a lot more useful to your users when this situation occurs.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 17 May 2018, 23:00

Hi Walter, SMBv1 is required right now for file sharing with Sonos devices. Our team is looking into the situation, but we don't have any new specifics that we can share right now. There's a thread here about support for SMBv2 and SMBv3 which would be a great place to follow for any news that we might be able to share in the future.

I'll pass along the suggestion for that error message change to the team, they're always interested in ways to improve the app and love getting feedback. Thanks!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Walter, SMBv1 is required right now for file sharing with Sonos devices. Our team is looking into the situation, but we don't have any new specifics that we can share right now. There's a thread here about support for SMBv2 and SMBv3 which would be a great place to follow for any news that we might be able to share in the future.

I'll pass along the suggestion for that error message change to the team, they're always interested in ways to improve the app and love getting feedback. Thanks!
"It appears that Sonos requies SMBv1" - yes it is rubbish that Sonos still ignore this. Ryan_S is clearly cognisant of this because he has linked you to a thread which is pretty robust about the problem.

In the past I have seen Jeremy Allison offer to help out with this problem on these very forums. He is an Aussie that is (maybe "was" nowadays) a Sonos fan and happens to be a very, very, very long standing Samba developer - one of the originators of the project. Samba is the de-facto standard for CIFS/SMB these days. One day Sonos will do the right thing.
That reply is a month old, things change. In other totally unrelated news, somebody should read the latest release notes. :8
Jgatie... so what has changed in this reply? Can you be more specific? Seriously, I'm pissed. You mean the reason I haven't been able to play music from my computer is because of a windows update? What is this ish, SBMsomething something. I'm a layman, I don't want to have to read 100 manuals to be able to do something simple. I basically wrote off Sonos as just a really super expensive radio since I can't play any music on it except pandora (annoying af) and my local radio from "tunein radio". Sonos is a huge waste of money and a time suck if every time windows updates nobody explains what the heck it is we're supposed to be fixing, or adding. So Jgatie, do I still need to download sbmsomethingsomething, or what? Is that answer still valid? And where do I find it? where would I find release notes and would I understand them anyway?

Computers can do great things, but oh my god they waste time for those of us who just want them to function as promised.
Sonos, seriously. give us a clear answer as to why things don't work. "computer's not responding" is BS.
Thankfully, Sonos was a gift so it wasn't my money wasted, but it sure is my time.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Melquerto, they are trolling you (imo likely a Russian troll)

Sonos has dropped SMB for Windows, you can read the new way to add your library here https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US
Jgatie... so what has changed in this reply? Can you be more specific? Seriously, I'm pissed. You mean the reason I haven't been able to play music from my computer is because of a windows update? What is this ish, SBMsomething something. I'm a layman, I don't want to have to read 100 manuals to be able to do something simple. I basically wrote off Sonos as just a really super expensive radio since I can't play any music on it except pandora (annoying af) and my local radio from "tunein radio". Sonos is a huge waste of money and a time suck if every time windows updates nobody explains what the heck it is we're supposed to be fixing, or adding. So Jgatie, do I still need to download sbmsomethingsomething, or what? Is that answer still valid? And where do I find it? where would I find release notes and would I understand them anyway?

Computers can do great things, but oh my god they waste time for those of us who just want them to function as promised.
Sonos, seriously. give us a clear answer as to why things don't work. "computer's not responding" is BS.
Thankfully, Sonos was a gift so it wasn't my money wasted, but it sure is my time.

As stated in the recent release notes, Sonos has given up on SMB v1 for Windows based libraries (Mac has used something else for a while), thus eliminating the security issues.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/software/release/8-6

The Sonos app for Windows now uses HTTP for local file sharing instead of the now-deprecated SMBv1 protocol. If you’re sharing your music library with Sonos, you will be prompted after updating to complete this change.
Updated my SONOS on May 27, 2018. Version 8.5.1. So, didn't have a music library until today July 14, 2018, after enabling SMBv1. Saw post about what a difference a month makes. So downloaded the latest today, version 9.0.1. Started SONOS and received some error messages, about firewall, plus other stuff. Firewall problem was easy to fix. Some suggestions were given for the others, one of which to do another restart. Took that advice and SONOS started up and went through an update which I thought was strange. Checked status of SMBv1 and it was disabled. Bottomline: frustrating experience.