sonos and synology NAS

• 27 December 2012
  • 17 replies

Hi, what's the best way to set up sonos with a synology disk station NAS? I currently have my music ripped into iTunes on an iMac but would prefer to have the library on the NAS connected to the router. Do I just move the itunes library to the NAS or is it best to have a separate copy of the music files? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I personally subscribe to the "have a separate copy" theory... Backups of data are never a bad thing... hard drives fail all the time! Whether you manually copy everything or find a utility to do it for you (the utilities are usually faster in the long run, since they often have settings to copy only changed/new files). The link below is a search of Sonos' knowledge base, and includes articles to set up a couple of different utilities to synchronize your music collection to your NAS, as well as info on adding your music collection (on your NAS) to Sonos. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/nas+mac/search/1
Thanks Mike, I tried the same search words and ended up with something in German! Anyway, first up I've decided to try and copy the itunes library to my synology NAS. I found this link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US for copying the iTunes media folder. It's chugging away now! After that I should be able to "point" the sonos at the NAS. I entirely agree re the back ups and fortunately the NAS is set up as a RAID so copies itself - I'll also keep the original itunes folder on my imac. I'm hoping this will cure my shiny new sonos system from the intermittent playback it was experiencing (the imac was connected wirelessly to the router). ATB. Ade
Sorted! All up and running now I'm pleased to say. I successfully copied my iTunes media folder to the synology DiskStation using the instructions in the link above. Pointing the Sonos at the NAS took a bit of trial and error but the path looked something like \\DiskStation\music\iTunes (note the back slashes not forward!) Playback seems much smoother now the library is hardwired to the bridge rather than via wifi and of course the imac no longer needs to be switched on. Happy days!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yeah, since the SMB/CIFS protocol was done by Microsoft, things are a little backwards (slashes, in this case) 🙂 Glad to hear it's working for you!
I figured out a problem when trying to connect my Synology diskstation with DSM 4.2 firmware. When I try to point my Sonos to the shared music library in my network I enter a path like \\192.168.1.1\music together with my credentials. I get the response that my diskstation refuses to allow my Sonos to connect to the library. Do you know how I can solve this issue? Could it be that the Sonos does not support https? Thanks a lot in advance.
Add everyone with file permissions
Userlevel 2
I'm having the same issue as polyhickup above. I can't get sonos to connect to the synology nas.

I'm entering \\169.254.10.100\Music shared and my password etc but can't get it to connect. I'm guessing there is something in my permissions in the nas but can't work out what is blocking it.

Any ideas? How do I add everyone with file permissions as Daniel says above?
Userlevel 2
I'm having the same issue as polyhickup above. I can't get sonos to connect to the synology nas.

I'm entering \\169.254.10.100\Music shared and my password etc but can't get it to connect. I'm guessing there is something in my permissions in the nas but can't work out what is blocking it.

Any ideas? How do I add everyone with file permissions as Daniel says above?
I had the firewall on my Synology NAS incorrectly configured, it was blocking Sonos from accessing.  If you encounter 1002 error check your firewall on the NAS.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Also, be sure you turn on SMB / Windows file sharing in the Sonos control panel.  I have a Mac environment, so I had this disabled (since not needed).  Sonos does require it.

Another idea is to create a unique login for Sonos for your DiskStation and limit access to just music.  This is just a security idea.
Badge
SMB!!! I love this Sonos Community - been nothing but helpful! ?

Since I have a Mac/Apple environment I had unchecked SMB for the Synology. That did the trick.

To the questions about accessing remotely - I wonder if a combination of having a DDNS assigned and relevant port forwarding setup address this?
Hi All, have tried all of the above but STILL cannot get sonos to "see' my synology iTunes library. In the Synology disk window it is /volume2/Philip itunes/iTunes library 16-6-2017 but when i copy and paste this in - nothing. Have tries forward and back slashes - nothing. It is driving me nits. WHY can't I just go to browser, point to the disk and connect like any other folder??? I.m using MAC High sierra. Does anyone have any other ideas. Very grateful for any tips/help thanks Philip
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Are you running SMB1? I realize that SMB1 is insecure but that is the only way that a Synology NAS can stream you library to Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yeah, because Synology, and most other 'tech' companies, value security more than Sonos, you will need to lower the security of your NAS to SMB1.
Sonos still don't appear to be doing anything proactive to help their users resolve this common issue and rely on users coming here for the answer.
The method of enabling it in DSM has been posted here - try the search.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Could you try to turn off the SMB service in your Synology and then turn it back on and see if the path is then recognized in Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
On the NAS, check Control Panel - File Services - Advanced Settings and minimum SMB protocol. Make sure it's at the lowest security level that is SMB 1.0 (if you wish to continue to use the NAS to share the music).
(If this is the issue, I'd suggest creating a new user on the NAS (sonos?) and giving it read only access to the music share. Use these credentials when adding the share in Sonos.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I used a $35 Raspberry Pi as my SMB v1 NAS, it has nothing but copies of my music files on it, nothing I can't replace with a couple clicks. A big USB key or USB hard drive or SSD works for music storage, quite stable if you do a persistent (in /etc/fstab) mount instead of letting the auto-mounter connect it.