Sonos and Overcast (podcast app)

• 22 December 2014
  • 42 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Badge
bah, OK, I found why BeyondPod and PocketCasts don't show in Sonos. There is a file in the BeyondPod (or below) / Podcasts (or below) directory called ".nomedia" If this file is present in any directory under BeyondPod / Podcasts, Sonos cannot see the Podcasts.
I removed the .nomedia file from BeyondPod, and all new downloads are in Sonos.

The issue is that now I get my Podcasts in *all* players. So Google Music is littered with podcasts now. ugh.
I listen to podcasts on my new gen 2 play 5. I have an android phone and use Podcast Addict for the podcasts. I then use Local cast to cast to the Sonos. Local Cast allows DNLA connections. I can stream the podcasts or listen to downloaded ones. It works brilliantly without a hitch.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
I listen to podcasts on my new gen 2 play 5. I have an android phone and use Podcast Addict for the podcasts. I then use Local cast to cast to the Sonos. Local Cast allows DNLA connections. I can stream the podcasts or listen to downloaded ones. It works brilliantly without a hitch.

Hello Dave,

Can you share how you do this ? Thanks.
Hi Greenl, I open the Podcast Addict app and press play on a podcast. It then comes up with a dialogue box saying"Complete action using" I then selct LocalCast and press the Just Once button. LocalCast opens and there is another dialogue box offering to add to queue or play. Iit then starts playing on the Play5. occasionally the last step has wanted me to select the room (I only have one room) . The IP address 192.168.1.57 also shows which I presume is the Play5s . I worked all of this by just trying different things. Local Cast is the key to I think. It seems to me that I am just casting to the sonos system. I also have a Cromecast and the process seems similar.
If you want to listen to podcasts and keep then in sync on your phone then you want a nice Bluetooth speaker, not a sonos. If you are willing to not have things in sync then do what I do, which is use TuneIn or Soundcloud on the sonos. I just make note of the time stamp and go to that point. Its not perfect, but it works. If sonos would allow AirPlay or include Bluetooth input, it would solve a lot of these issues. but that is another long and boring thread.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
I saw an offer in the Uk with a cheap Chromecast Audio device (only 15 GBP) - so I bought that and plugged it into one of my Connect Amps ... works a treat and I can cast from the PockeCasts app itself - so can play collections of podcasts without having to keep going back to my phone.... and they are autodeleted when I have finished.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
If you want to listen to podcasts and keep then in sync on your phone then you want a nice Bluetooth speaker, not a sonos. If you are willing to not have things in sync then do what I do, which is use TuneIn or Soundcloud on the sonos. I just make note of the time stamp and go to that point. Its not perfect, but it works. If sonos would allow AirPlay or include Bluetooth input, it would solve a lot of these issues. but that is another long and boring thread.

You must have missed this blog post where they talk about listening to the podcast Serial on Sonos... http://blog.sonos.com/news/serial-is-back-and-is-now-on-sonos
+1 for overcast integration!
Related to podcasts and radio:

I do not understand why Stitcher Sonos App does not reflect the folders one has set up on desktop or mobile apps in Sonos.

I do not understand why TuneIn Sonos App does not have login support (folders). I've asked both firms and nothing in the past 2 years.

Life's too busy to be looking for different apps and adding one's favorites just to be able to play them on one system, that's different than one's desktop and mobile. It seems as if Sonos marketing, biz dev and operations decision makers should have a more pro-active (push) relationship with their partner content providers.

Overcast seems to be really popular, let's hope that when there's an Overcast Sonos App it will reflect the experience that users are accustomed via mobile.

It's about features and benefits CONSISTENCE.
Badge
There are a couple of solutions you guys might want to look at.

The first requires a Sonos with line-in, which I already had to buy due to Sonos taking forever to integrate with Spotify. You can use the Play:5 or Sonos Connect/Connect:Amp. You'll also need a Chromecast Audio ($35).

The Master Caster app on iOS lets you cast to a Chromecast Audio from otherwise-unsupported apps like Overcast.

The second option is to add Airplay capability to Sonos via AirSonos (search, it's on Github). To do this, I believe you'd need a PC (possibly Mac-only, I haven't tried it) running anytime you want to cast, however. It also requires a bit of technical ability.

EDIT: Sorry, I tried to add links to Master Caster and AirSonos, but the system prevented me from doing so.
No argument here. You should be asking the folks who maintain the Overcast app to do the integration with the API provided by Sonos. And Sonos has just, in the last couple of weeks, rolled out the Spotify integration, so much of the work may be complete, but I suspect it will take parallel efforts by both teams.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos customer support just told me on Twitter that there are no issues with how podcasts work on Sonos. Ok, then.
Switch over to Pocket Casts and you're done! ?
I’ll agree that Pocket Casts is a solid replacement. Although once Airplay 2 is available I’ll probably switch back to Overcast. Smart Speed and the ability to customize controls are two great Overcast features.

This ! And Pocket Casts removed my favorite features and ruined the interface with the release of version 7. That caused me to switch to Overcast.

+1 For Overcast support on Sono!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’ll agree that Pocket Casts is a solid replacement. Although once Airplay 2 is available I’ll probably switch back to Overcast. Smart Speed and the ability to customize controls are two great Overcast features.

This ! And Pocket Casts removed my favorite features and ruined the interface with the release of version 7. That caused me to switch to Overcast.

+1 For Overcast support on Sono!

And it’s still Up to Overcast, not Sonos, to implement the integration.

Anyway, Pocket Casts v7 is good, just requires a small amount of adjustment from the previous version. Folks who can’t adapt to change should really steer clear of technology 🙂
+1 for Overcast
Userlevel 1
Adding my voice to the chorus. I very rarely listen to podcasts at recorded speed and would really like to be able to playback podcasts at variable speeds (1.2, 1.5, 1.7x), specifically via PocketCasts.