Sonos and Overcast (podcast app)

• 22 December 2014
  • 42 replies

Show first post

42 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I was thrilled to get out to buy my first Sonos speakers tomorrow but the lack of Overcast support actually gonna make me wait.
Overcast integration - yes please
Badge
There are a couple of solutions you guys might want to look at.

The first requires a Sonos with line-in, which I already had to buy due to Sonos taking forever to integrate with Spotify. You can use the Play:5 or Sonos Connect/Connect:Amp. You'll also need a Chromecast Audio ($35).

The Master Caster app on iOS lets you cast to a Chromecast Audio from otherwise-unsupported apps like Overcast.

The second option is to add Airplay capability to Sonos via AirSonos (search, it's on Github). To do this, I believe you'd need a PC (possibly Mac-only, I haven't tried it) running anytime you want to cast, however. It also requires a bit of technical ability.

EDIT: Sorry, I tried to add links to Master Caster and AirSonos, but the system prevented me from doing so.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Love Sonos but agree that the ability to easily manage (subscribe, listen to latest...) podcasts is a significant gap. The Overcast app is THE BEST app I've ever used for doing this. Having integration with Overcast would be huge and likely draw even more people into the Sonos universe.

No argument here. You should be asking the folks who maintain the Overcast app to do the integration with the API provided by Sonos. And Sonos has just, in the last couple of weeks, rolled out the Spotify integration, so much of the work may be complete, but I suspect it will take parallel efforts by both teams.
It seems to that it should be easy to have Overcast podcasts play from an iPhone. You can already play podcasts from the iPhone's podcast app. In the Sonos app on the iPhone go into "On this iPhone", then select "Podcasts". I think the only change to the Sonos app is for it to look in the location that Overcast stores the podcasts locally.

Where Overcast isn't a streaming service, just a podcast download manager, this might be the best that can be done for the average iPhone user who doesn't want to setup custom code on servers in their home.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos customer support just told me on Twitter that there are no issues with how podcasts work on Sonos. Ok, then.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
The main issue is that your played / time left state on episodes does not stay in sync if you play through Sonos sometimes and the app other times. I have about 25 podcast I follow and because of that Sonos is not an alternative for Podcasts unfortunently.
+1 for Overcast integration.

Sonos - this really is a big deal for a lot of people. Please improve the integration of podcasts other than i.e. the Apple podcast app (which is probably the worst app for podcasts anywhere).
+1 for Overcast integration. Or at the least podcast syncing.
Switch over to Pocket Casts and you're done! ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Note that Pocket Casts played via Sonos does synchronize across other listening modes -- i.e., it remembers one's place, correctly marks podcasts as 'played', etc. I've been very happy with it on Sonos, iOS devices, and browser-based playback on PCs.
I’ll agree that Pocket Casts is a solid replacement. Although once Airplay 2 is available I’ll probably switch back to Overcast. Smart Speed and the ability to customize controls are two great Overcast features.
I’ll agree that Pocket Casts is a solid replacement. Although once Airplay 2 is available I’ll probably switch back to Overcast. Smart Speed and the ability to customize controls are two great Overcast features.

This ! And Pocket Casts removed my favorite features and ruined the interface with the release of version 7. That caused me to switch to Overcast.

+1 For Overcast support on Sono!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This ! And Pocket Casts removed my favorite features and ruined the interface with the release of version 7. That caused me to switch to Overcast.

+1 For Overcast support on Sono!

And it’s still Up to Overcast, not Sonos, to implement the integration.

Anyway, Pocket Casts v7 is good, just requires a small amount of adjustment from the previous version. Folks who can’t adapt to change should really steer clear of technology 🙂
Adding my voice to the chorus. I very rarely listen to podcasts at recorded speed and would really like to be able to playback podcasts at variable speeds (1.2, 1.5, 1.7x), specifically via PocketCasts.
+1 for Overcast