Question

Sonos amp on PC

• 24 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello. 

Im making a semi audiophile setup for my pc. I'm going for KEF LS50 or maybe a used pair of KEF R300.

For the amplifier im looking into Sonos Amp, but my concern is, can I use wireless for pc gaming for example? I Want to leave my onboard sound card for my headphone. Any sugestion on how to use Sonos Amp as my pc amp once it dont have USB in?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Without using an audio output on the PC, you’re going to be in trouble.

Unfortunately, Sonos really isn’t designed to be used as a PC speaker, due to the necessary 75ms minimum delay on an analog input, albeit somewhat less on a digital input. But you’d be forcing it into something it really wasn’t designed to be used for.

Userlevel 2

Last night I realized that my sound card has a Spdif optical out. Can I use it with the Sonos Optical Audio Adapter right? Thats gonna solve my problem I think.

You’re better off using the TV input, but there’s still a small --  about 30ms -- delay. Whether that matters is up to the user.

Userlevel 2

But im going to use it on PC :disappointed_relieved:

Really want the Sonos for the 120W power, similar models of other brands just offers 60W. But for what i see its not going to be a good choice for PC.

Last night I realized that my sound card has a Spdif optical out. Can I use it with the Sonos Optical Audio Adapter right? Thats gonna solve my problem I think.

Yes.  Assuming that the sound card send the audio in PCM stereo or Dolby digital, you should be fine, without any noticeable delay.

But im going to use it on PC :disappointed_relieved:

Really want the Sonos for the 120W power, similar models of other brands just offers 60W. But for what i see its not going to be a good choice for PC.

The optical-HDMI input is the TV input.