Question

Sonos amp on PC

• 24 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Hello. 

Im making a semi audiophile setup for my pc. I'm going for KEF LS50 or maybe a used pair of KEF R300.

For the amplifier im looking into Sonos Amp, but my concern is, can I use wireless for pc gaming for example? I Want to leave my onboard sound card for my headphone. Any sugestion on how to use Sonos Amp as my pc amp once it dont have USB in?

6 replies

Without using an audio output on the PC, you’re going to be in trouble.

Unfortunately, Sonos really isn’t designed to be used as a PC speaker, due to the necessary 75ms minimum delay on an analog input, albeit somewhat less on a digital input. But you’d be forcing it into something it really wasn’t designed to be used for.

Last night I realized that my sound card has a Spdif optical out. Can I use it with the Sonos Optical Audio Adapter right? Thats gonna solve my problem I think.

You’re better off using the TV input, but there’s still a small --  about 30ms -- delay. Whether that matters is up to the user.

But im going to use it on PC :disappointed_relieved:

Really want the Sonos for the 120W power, similar models of other brands just offers 60W. But for what i see its not going to be a good choice for PC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Last night I realized that my sound card has a Spdif optical out. Can I use it with the Sonos Optical Audio Adapter right? Thats gonna solve my problem I think.

Yes.  Assuming that the sound card send the audio in PCM stereo or Dolby digital, you should be fine, without any noticeable delay.

But im going to use it on PC :disappointed_relieved:

Really want the Sonos for the 120W power, similar models of other brands just offers 60W. But for what i see its not going to be a good choice for PC.

The optical-HDMI input is the TV input.