Answered

Sonos Alarm and music libary

• 23 March 2020
  • 4 replies

I’m writing this post because I can’t solve the following problems, but first some preamble:

I own the Sonos speaker/lamp made in collaboration with Ikea (SYMFONISK), and I have an Android system on my phone, also I apologize for any syntax errors.

1. The Alarm: If I try to use any of my Spotify Playlist, it simply don’t start playing the songs, but it starts (I think) the default music of the speaker (I think are bells, I’m not shure) and if I try to use one folder of my library music it work only when the laptop (from which through your window app I imported a folder with songs) is switched on. How can I solve this issiue?
  2. The Library Music and the music folder: First thing is that (in my opinion) the smartphone app it is not intuitive. I don’t understand how can I create a library music with the song in my smartphone memory (I can play it shure, but I can’t create a Library with them or use them as alarm) or I can import playlist.

Also when I’m in smartphone app > setting > Library music > setting Library music > add shared music folder > add new sharing, it ask me to write the file path of mine pc...I really don't understand. I tried to write the file path of the music on my phone, but it gives me an error. At this point I wonder if it should connect to the home modem or something.

The least I would like to solve would be to be able to hear an alarm clock with the music of Spotify or my phone. If there are unclear details (I hope I have explained myself the best possible) let me know and I will reply as soon as possible. Thanks for the help

icon

Best answer by buzz 24 March 2020, 02:20

With respect to music stored on your laptop, the laptop must be awake before SONOS can play a music file stored on the laptop.

SONOS Alarms default to the “Chime” when the music associated with an Alarm cannot be played. Note that Chime is impatient. If the music is slow starting, such as a lazy computer not waking fast enough, the Chime will start before the music is available. A work around for this case is to set two Alarms. The first Alarm plays a track on the computer at zero Volume for one minute. This track may fail (silently), but wake the computer. The second Alarm, set for a minute or two later, will play normally because the computer is now fully awake.

I’m not aware of any mechanism for SONOS to wake an Android and play music stored on the Android.

With respect to Spotify, you can specify Spotify as the music source for the Alarm using the SONOS controller App. In this scheme you are playing directly from Spotify, not your Android. If you run into the lazy start Chime default as above, you can use the same dual alarm trick to wake your network. 

View original

4 replies

With respect to music stored on your laptop, the laptop must be awake before SONOS can play a music file stored on the laptop.

SONOS Alarms default to the “Chime” when the music associated with an Alarm cannot be played. Note that Chime is impatient. If the music is slow starting, such as a lazy computer not waking fast enough, the Chime will start before the music is available. A work around for this case is to set two Alarms. The first Alarm plays a track on the computer at zero Volume for one minute. This track may fail (silently), but wake the computer. The second Alarm, set for a minute or two later, will play normally because the computer is now fully awake.

I’m not aware of any mechanism for SONOS to wake an Android and play music stored on the Android.

With respect to Spotify, you can specify Spotify as the music source for the Alarm using the SONOS controller App. In this scheme you are playing directly from Spotify, not your Android. If you run into the lazy start Chime default as above, you can use the same dual alarm trick to wake your network. 

I tried as you recommended, both with phone and with the PC. Unfortunately it didn't work out

Ignoring alarms for the moment, how quickly does music start to play if the system has been idle for a few hours?

Ignoring alarms for the moment, how quickly does music start to play if the system has been idle for a few hours?

1-2 seconds, both with spotify and with music in my phone's memory

Ps: For the alarm I solved, you need to have spotify premium ... too bad