Sonos 5 playback delay

• 25 February 2018
  • 8 replies

Have my Sonos 5 connected via 3.5mm audio jack to the TV and am getting a 2 second playback delay with the sound. Worked fine for a month or so but just seems to have given up. Whats a fix and/or better way to wire in the play 5 through the TV?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Make sure that 'Audio Compression' is set to 'Uncompressed' in the 'Advanced Settings' section of the Sonos controller app. This will limit the buffering delay to ~70ms.

It's possible you currently have it set to the default of 'Automatic', and it's flipped from using Uncompressed to Compressed (~2s buffering delay).
That’s exactly what it was, don’t know how it got switched. Thanks for the advice
It would be great if there was an option to essentially remove the speaker from the system and have it standalone as a simple playback device for what's plugged in. I play piano and would like to be able to play my keyboard with 0 latency into it since I don't need it to be broadcasting to other rooms when I do so. Even with the uncompressed mode, there is a very noticeable delay when you expect to hear a note as soon as your finger touches a key.
It would be great if there was an option to essentially remove the speaker from the system and have it standalone as a simple playback device for what's plugged in. I play piano and would like to be able to play my keyboard with 0 latency into it since I don't need it to be broadcasting to other rooms when I do so. Even with the uncompressed mode, there is a very noticeable delay when you expect to hear a note as soon as your finger touches a key.

I get exactly what you're talking about. I'm in the same boat. I have stopped expanding my Sonos system at this stage as I'm trying to figure out my path moving forward. (I don't want to keep investing in a solution where another more practical solution for my needs may be worth me starting out again).

I understand Sonos's position. Not focusing on people who want to use their Play 5 as a Amp and Speaker in one because it's too hard and/or costly for the suspected return on investment and they're happy to lose some of the market to stay focused solely in the area of wireless networked speakers.

However I also understand your position (as I'm in the same boat - it would be wonderful to have a dual use for the Play 5 as a monitor speaker or a keyboard, etc as well as what it's originally designed for).

But being fair - is there any other wireless system out there on the market that provides this dual / auxiliary functionality we're looking for? (Where something such as the play 5 can be disconnected from the network and used as a monitor / isolated directly wired amp'd speaker with no delay)?

I figure if not, then it may be unfair expecting Sonos to do what others haven't achieved. Alternatively, if there is an alternative that does provide this feature, I'd be very interested in knowing what it is.
Hi guys,

just wondering, did any of you get to the bottom of this?

I am using a Pioneer DJ setup which I run straight red/white RCA into the 3.5mm input using RCA to AUX cable. But also getting the tiny delay, unfortunately when DJ’ing it’s impossible to do if you have any delay as everything is completely out. Looking for a solution to this. Whether it be the Sonos Connect or the Sonos Amp (although heard some of these also have a slight latent issue)
All analog inputs into Sonos have the same amount of delay. It can be slightly modified (upward, not down) by changing the sensitivity of the line-in, but 75ms is as low as it can go.

You could get a quicker input using a digital input, like on the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, Beam, or Sonos Amp.

But generally speaking, Sonos is considered by most to be a relatively difficult system to use for a DJ setup. Some might say completely useless for that use case. It's just not designed for that kind of thing.
Thanks for the quick response dude.

It’s such a shame but I think I did already know the answer, just didn’t want to believe it.

It is such a shame though as it would be so insane if I could have my setup in say the kitchen with a play 1 and 5, and then have play 1’s dotted around the house so people can still hear.

I think one day we will get there, it’s just that audio pass over the network that’s the current struggle.
They're great speakers, to be sure, but the original choices made for them to work as music streamers in sync across many rooms makes it difficult to do other things. In your case, it's being DJ speakers. In other cases, its being PA, or karaoke, or computer, or TV speakers. For that last use case, Sonos made specific speakers that have a digital input, but even then, if you group those speakers with other rooms, you end up paying that cost for being able to play all rooms in sync.

I can only imagine that is the reason that Sonos doesn't advertise themselves as anything but what they're designed for. I'm sure there's a market for those other use cases, but have to imagine that as a whole, the market they chose is the largest one.