Songs Skipping

• 22 April 2017
  • 91 replies

Show first post

91 replies

Let me amend my statement, as I realize I made an assumption.

Assuming that BOSE deals with the music in the same way that Sonos does, i.e. the player is actually on the speaker, not on the phone, and the phone in this case is merely a network source for data, then they'll have the same problem. Apple's change on what keeps a data stream "alive" when the phone goes to sleep has obviously changed, and has had a deleterious affect on companies like Sonos.

However, if BOSE treats the phone as a player, rather than a remote control, then it should be able to keep the phone's data stream alive (I think).
Userlevel 1
Badge
Nope, it still stops playing. Im looking into a full bose system. After checking forums and threads to make sure it doesnt do the same thing.

Now what to do with this sonos speaker.. id feel bad selling the thing and its problem to someone,.. maybe smash it and film it...

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve thought about doing that. Still might when I finally replace this POS with something that works.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It’s official, they knew.

Sonos finally admitted to me that is an issue they are aware of and have yet to figure out how to fix.

“We are aware this is an issue, but unfortunately, as of this moment, it's the nature of Apple iOS. It's similar to if you're listening to Apple Music on your headphones and you switch over to watch something on youtube on your phone. The youtube audio starts playing and the Apple Music audio stops. Similar idea, but it's the Sonos audio that's stopping due to something else.”

It’s shameful that Apple and Sonos have paired up despite this long-existing known problem.

I’m done with Sonos forever.
Seems like an odd thing, since in your post, it is pointed out that it's an issue with Apple (happens even without a Sonos system involved). It's an Apple thing, perhaps you'll be done with Apple forever as well?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I think you’ll agree that your phone is more personal and non-negotiable than a specific brand of speaker, one that is expressly marketed as Apple compatible.

Yes, I’m bothered that Apple is part of the misrepresentation (which I thought was obvious when I said it was shameful on their part) but Apple isn’t who I’ve been “troubleshooting” this problem with for over a year, Sonos is. And Sonos, fully aware of the problem and the lack of a fix, had me jump through pointless hoops.

But maybe you still find it odd, in that case I doubt any explanation from me will satisfy you.
Any ideas, what the fix provided by Sonos should look like, when/since Apple is the "guilty party"?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Smilja,

Tough question but I’ll take a shot; I imagine the fix to look like just that, a fix. In the meantime, a disclaimer would be nice so people don’t spend time and money on a product that doesn’t do what it should. And sure, a disclaimer provided by both Sonos AND Apple.

Now here’s a couple for you: Sonos markets their speakers as the perfect compliment to the IPhone, they are sold from within Apple stores. Do you think they have any responsibility to their customers to inform them of this issue before purchase? Or am I to assume from your quote marks that you believe that Apple is the only bad actor in this scenario? (I’m also assuming that you misused those quote marks, unless you don’t believe that there is a “guilty party” in all of this)
It is amazing that after months of having this problem, no real solution is provided. And sonos keeps on giving the same kind of advice, change channels, auto-lock etc. Everytime it happens, I feel like throwing the whole speaker out the window. What a shame. I used to like my sonos system
So not sure if this will help anyone - but i also had the issue with songs skipping when played directly from my iphone's library. Sirius never seemed to have the same issue FYI...

I set the following:

1. Set screen lock to never as suggested in this thread
2. Allowed background app refresh for the SONOS app.

The issue is no longer occurring for me. We'll see if it comes back but fingers crossed!
Badge
And yet, I've had my system for 6+ years, primarily playing from an iTunes created library, and never had an issue.

... with 11K responses on here, you sure sound like someone that's on SONOS' payroll for all things damage control. Crazy how so many of us have pure horror stories about hundreds of hours of troubleshooting and jumping through hoops, phone calls, Twitter back-and-forths and have so many shared miserable experiences—yet here you are; 6+ years on the system and it's just smooth sailing and nothing but a lovely music experience. I call bulls**t.
Man, I wish. Even just a free hat from Sonos would be lovely....

You can call nonsense all you want, but I've got a passing knowledge about electronics, being in a related area of business, and enjoy helping others.

The critical aspect about Sonos is that it does require a strong backbone to work on. If the local network set up by the router in the home isn't working properly, it can and likely will end up causing a slew of issues with Sonos, which is more sensitive to that kind of thing than most other internet devices, such as computers and consoles. And honestly, Sonos isn't a perfect company either. They have manufacturing issues just like every other company out there, and the design of some of their stuff isn't what I'd prefer.

But that doesn't alter the fact that I enjoy helping others fix the issues, so that they can have as stable a system as I do. Yea, call me weird, call my desires bull if you'd like, but I do enjoy passing on some information that I think is relevant, and helping people get some sort of additional logical thought process about how the system works, and why it isn't working for them at the moment.

I may have picked up that habit from helping my mother, who was an elementary school librarian, back in the 70s when I was learning about electronics in general. She was a "follow the instructions" kind of person, god rest her soul, and I spent a lot of time trying to show her how to think of all of these systems as a flow of data, which would help determine where the "flow" was getting stopped or diverted. At the end of the day, this is all just relatively a stream of electricity. Works the same way as a river does. Figure out where the dam is, and how to remove the dam, and you're doing well.

Fortunately, I'm not the only one here who likes to assist others. There's quite a few folks, also (to my knowledge) not in the pay of Sonos. I continue to learn new things from them, as they answer questions that I can't, or that I've answered incorrectly. And I'm assuming that they have the same intention as I do...helping others.

As far as I am aware (and as has been the case in many of the forums that I've had under my management in my professional life), all Sonos employees who post here are required to have an "official" account, which means that Sonos is next to their name. Look for the likes of people like Ryan S, Edward R, Ditte, Keith N, Jeff S....(and I apologize to those who I've forgotten in my post here) all of whom have "Sonos employee" associated with their accounts.

The issue continues to be that there are multiple issues that exhibit similar symptoms. So if you have something like "skipping", it could be any of 3 or 4 things at a minimum, all looking the same from the user's perspective. Which is why you'll see folks like me ask questions about the person's system, in order to figure out which thread to be pulling on.

At the end of the day, I'd say somewhere north of 85% of issues presented on this board are related to local wifi issues, but people just aren't savvy enough, because they normally don't need to be, to know what it is or how to fix it. Even with the further 10% I'd suspect are router related issues, I've pulled back on my explanations, because it just ends up being too technical and people's eyes, I suspect, tend to glaze over. Shoot, there's posts on this forum that cause my eyes to glaze over, too. But that's OK, if I can help people get past the issue, without having to spend a few hours diagramming and explaining why it is they're experiencing it, that's great. Those who want to know more will ask, and I'll share the little information I have, and then hope that some of the others here will pipe in with more information.

And you'll note, if you look at what I respond to, I tend to be fairly selective. Don't look to me for extensive network knowledge. Beyond suggesting that it makes sense to set up reserved IP addresses for your local network, I'm just not well enough educated to deal with things that are more complicated. I tend to stay away from questions regarding Alexa, as well, although I do use it, but I've not given it a lot of thought, and am uncomfortable advising in areas that I don't feel like I have a good base of knowledge in.

You stopped reading this in the first paragraph. I'll stop typing.
Same issue. Please fix sonos
Same issue. Please fix sonosAre you perhaps playing your music from a local iOS library? if so, there are already ways to fix that known issue.
I have experienced these “skips” many times on two different Sonos systems in two homes. It only happens when I’m using an iOS device as a music source. If I use a streaming music source all is fine. Today, I signed up for Apple Music to test my experience further and sure enough, that works flawlessly...song after song...even songs in my own library, which I believe are streamed when using the Apple Music service rather than coming from my iPhone. So I will likely bite the bullet and use Apple Music with Sonos so I can have both great speakers and continuous music.
I have experienced these “skips” many times on two different Sonos systems in two homes. It only happens when I’m using an iOS device as a music source. If I use a streaming music source all is fine. Today, I signed up for Apple Music to test my experience further and sure enough, that works flawlessly...song after song...even songs in my own library, which I believe are streamed when using the Apple Music service rather than coming from my iPhone. So I will likely bite the bullet and use Apple Music with Sonos so I can have both great speakers and continuous music.Sonos Staff have stated there's an issue right now that causes playback from the storage on iOS devices to stop and skip when there are non-Sonos AirPlay devices active on the local network. You can try disabling AirPlay on those devices, or disabling your iOS device's auto-lock feature to get the streaming working again.

A much better option is to move your music library from your iOS device to a computer or NAS Drive, then to set up a music share. This will allow you to use any controller to have Sonos play your music library without having to disable AirPlay on non-Sonos devices, or set your iOS device to never auto lock.

If you have audio skips from any other source, there's something else going on. This guide is a great place to start troubleshooting those sort of issues.
I have AppleTVs everywhere and smart TVs, etc. Thanks for the tip on the Mac Sonos controller. I was thinking of something like that yesterday. I’m glad it is possible. I may test that today!