Songs Skipping

• 22 April 2017
  • 91 replies

Show first post

91 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem here & this is so frustrating. I've disabled the auto lock features on my iPad and iPhone; checked the channel to be sure it was auto connecting to the best available; tried the recommended deletion of a queue and closing/reopening of the app; disabled airplay on the iMac, iPad and iPhone. None of this helped and I have submitted diagnostics- most recently #1112760302. I don't think that I could ever recommend Sonos, despite the ease of connection and the quality of the sound. If anyone solves this, I would love to hear how!

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. Your speakers are losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. It's hard to say exactly why from your report. Can you try temporarily wiring in one of your Sonos speakers to your router with an ethernet cable? This will switch your Sonos system over to its own mesh network, and may help the connection stability. If so, a BOOST setup may be recommended. If it's not convenient to have a speaker wired to your router, you can use the Sonos BOOST instead.

If you'd prefer, our phone team can take a deeper look at your system live. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Thank you. I will give it a try via ethernet & I already ordered a Boost. Will let you know.
Hi Katherine
My son came for tea last night, so we tested his kit, both in my home and then his when he left. His set up is top hole, less than a year old. He gets the same result as me. EdwardR blamed my problems on an old BT HUB 3 despite a pristine diagnostic report. Clearly something’s going on with programming- or could it bu industrial sabotage?
Connected Boost last evening and have been fine without music breaks for the last couple hours. If there are any more problems, I’ll follow the most recent Sonos Customer Care recommendation and use AirPlay instead of the Sonos app to play music from my iPad. So far, so good.
Roy Colin,
You might give the Boost a try as it seems to be working for me today. Yay!
If no good, try using AirPlay instead of the Sonos app to play from your iOS device.
PEOPLE if you are on an iPhone
try this
michaelpierce2018 wrote:

Check your iPhone's settings for an option named Wi-Fi assist.(Settings > Cellular Data > Wi-Fi Assist > Wi-Fi Assist Off/White) Try turning Wi-Fi assist off and see if that helps.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/wireless-connection-dropping-6762843/index1.html#post16260044
A little while ago I downloaded the most recent SONOS update, until then I had no complaints, a wonderful system – good clear sounds from usually stable machines. I have 3 Play Ones and A Play Three. After the download I found that my music, that is to say, music I have bought and loaded onto my iPhone and my iPad from iTunes, no longer plays properly – it skips as much as 30 seconds of the track and jumps or misses others completely. I do not wish to join DEEZER, SPOTIFY or any of the other providers, I’ve paid for my music already.

Reporting this matter of this forum I found that others were suffering a similar fate. Submission of my diagnostic at the request of EdwardR revealed a pristine set up, but questioned the router I was using as a BT Hub 3, which it was. I was advised to obtain a replacement from BT. I requested one, but without my renewing my contract the request was refused. Renew I did and was initially sent a BT Hub4. Everything connected up well, but SONOS still skipped. BBC Radio 2 dropped out, but Free Radio remained stable

Then this morning I have along with BT TV hooked up the swanky BTHub6, it still has the problem skipping some tunes and clipping others. Sometimes it is completely silent, but the iPad shows it in the control panel as playing.

Roy Colin
I have an iPhone 5c, I cannot find cellular data in settings, would that only apply to newer versions. In any event, that doesn’t address my main controller, my iPad.

I have had my set up for more than 3 years, this is the first time this or anything like it has occurred. I therefore don’t feel the need to spend more money on a bridge. My intention to get a Beam has had to change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
A little while ago I downloaded the most recent SONOS update, until then I had no complaints, a wonderful system – good clear sounds from usually stable machines. I have 3 Play Ones and A Play Three. After the download I found that my music, that is to say, music I have bought and loaded onto my iPhone and my iPad from iTunes, no longer plays properly – it skips as much as 30 seconds of the track and jumps or misses others completely. I do not wish to join DEEZER, SPOTIFY or any of the other providers, I’ve paid for my music already.

Reporting this matter of this forum I found that others were suffering a similar fate. Submission of my diagnostic at the request of EdwardR revealed a pristine set up, but questioned the router I was using as a BT Hub 3, which it was. I was advised to obtain a replacement from BT. I requested one, but without my renewing my contract the request was refused. Renew I did and was initially sent a BT Hub4. Everything connected up well, but SONOS still skipped. BBC Radio 2 dropped out, but Free Radio remained stable

Then this morning I have along with BT TV hooked up the swanky BTHub6, it still has the problem skipping some tunes and clipping others. Sometimes it is completely silent, but the iPad shows it in the control panel as playing.

Roy Colin

Hi Roy,

Does this playback issue happen with any other source? If not, you're likely running into an issue we're investigating where playback from the storage of iOS devices is interrupted when the phone goes to sleep or into auto lock. You can disable auto lock in the settings menu under Display & Brightness, or you can disable AirPlay on non-Sonos devices in your home instead.
I only have the 2 sources to play through SONOS, the iPad and the iPhone. SONOS Settings tells me I have no AirPlay compatible speakers. My phone sleeps after 1 min, the iPad after five , mins. This started to happen even before I found out about the lock screen issue and only since the last upgrade. EdwardR works for SONOS and thought it was the old hub, clearly not since it is still happening.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I only have the 2 sources to play through SONOS, the iPad and the iPhone. SONOS Settings tells me I have no AirPlay compatible speakers. My phone sleeps after 1 min, the iPad after five , mins. This started to happen even before I found out about the lock screen issue and only since the last upgrade. EdwardR works for SONOS and thought it was the old hub, clearly not since it is still happening.

We're looking into this issue and will update when we have more to share. In the meantime, try disabling auto lock in the Display & Brightness settings.
Already did that, doesn’t work
I have exact same issues, have disabled auto lock screen with no change. I’ve had a bridge for years, and have never had any issues until this last update...whether it is Sonos or iOS. I submitted my last diagnostic 1237707295 but have had no response. I’ve reset the router, reset and reinstalled the bridge and removed and reinstalled the apps. No change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

Today we released an update that has some bug fixes which should help with issues streaming music from iOS devices, among others. Please update your systems and test things out. You can read more about the update here.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos has known about this problem for years. I have literally spent hours on the phone with techs, sending and responding to emails, juggling around every piece of equipment into various configurations, and sent scores of diagnostics. All to no avail. There is no solution. Trust me, I’ve been “working” on it with several techs of varying authority/expertise off and on for years. SONOS WILL NOT PLAY CONSISTENTLY WHEN PLAYING MUSIC FROM AN IPHONE. Period. Full stop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sonos has known about this problem for years. I have literally spent hours on the phone with techs, sending and responding to emails, juggling around every piece of equipment into various configurations, and sent scores of diagnostics. All to no avail. There is no solution. Trust me, I’ve been “working” on it with several techs of varying authority/expertise off and on for years. SONOS WILL NOT PLAY CONSISTENTLY WHEN PLAYING MUSIC FROM AN IPHONE. Period. Full stop.

Hi there,

The update was released to address a rather specific issue with the way AIrPlay 2 integration worked with the Sonos app while streaming audio from the iOS device when that device goes to sleep or into auto lock. AirPlay 2 integration happened recently, so there's likely something different going on with your system. The update was not designed as a fix for every possible reason a system might have an audio interruption. Please see this guide for other troubleshooting steps that may help with audio interruptions.

I am able to stream from my iOS device's storage to Sonos without issue, so there's no system-wide problem that we know of. If you can reproduce the issue and are seeing that your audio cuts out when your iOS device goes to sleep, then it would be best to reach out to our phone team so they can investigate the issue live, as there may be more to be done to address this specific issue. You can find our phone number and hours here.

If you'd like, I can review the previous cases you've worked with our phone team to ensure that they've been handled correctly. Just reply with your case number, or send me a direct message with your email address.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Feel free to take a look, you’ll see that I have an extremely long history of troubleshooting. I have had problems since day one, albeit not all the same.

Originally, I had difficulty getting the app on my phone to access my laptop music storage without having the app on my computer (operating system requirements and laptop capability issues). But that problem has since been solved, only to realize another. I have never been able to play non-skipping music directly from my iPhone. And frankly, it seems that there are many others that have the same problem (I don’t know why I’ve never bothered looking online for people discussing this issue) that I’ve only just now come to realize. Also, the two people I know with Sonos speakers have the same problem as well and can only play music uninterrupted from their computers rather than their iPhones. I’m EXTREMELY disappointed with Sonos as it’s a great sounding speaker but, as it is, it’s virtually unusable.

I will DM you my email address.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Update: still skipping, no solution, more of the same troubleshooting. Sonos does not work with music stored on IPhones.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Update: still skipping, no solution, more of the same troubleshooting. Sonos does not work with music stored on IPhones.
Same problem here. Sonos speaker wont play iphone stored songs. It stops at random times then starts again in differrent songs at random times. This started happening four or five months ago. Same with the wifes phone. Extremely frustrating, to the point ive thought about putting an axe through the stupid thing. We planned on getting more speakers, but I dont think we will, at least not if this continues. We now use it for radio only. Ive tried all kinds of advice from these sites and wasted hours upon hours trying to figure this out.

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS. I turned off the lock screen thinggy on my iphone, in the (settings) / (display & brightness). It has played 9 songs with out stopping! And still going. A new record in recent months. Skeptical if this will continue, due to the amount of failures of this procedure from other users on these forums.

Still sorta lame i have to change the screen lock on and off depending on if im using sonos. Im not leaving it off all the time due to security with my iphone. Oh i hope this works...

I probably wouldnt have bought it if i knew it was going to cause such problems and be such a pain in the ass.
Badge +1

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS. I turned off the lock screen thinggy on my iphone, in the (settings) / (display & brightness). It has played 9 songs with out stopping! And still going. A new record in recent months. Skeptical if this will continue, due to the amount of failures of this procedure from other users on these forums.

So, by "lock screen thingy" do you mean setting the "auto-lock" time to Never?
yes, i set the auto-lock to never.

UPDATE-

it skips on the wifes iphone still. and it started skipping on mine again 2 days later.

i dont care anymore. soon we are looking for a bose system then a bose sound bar for the tv and a sub. maybe a couple small bose for the deck and one for the other end of the house. this has been going on too long with too many resets of the modem and router and unplugging the speaker.
Trying one more thing tonight. Changing the channel on modem...
Nope, it still stops playing. Im looking into a full bose system. After checking forums and threads to make sure it doesnt do the same thing.

Now what to do with this sonos speaker.. id feel bad selling the thing and its problem to someone,.. maybe smash it and film it...
Since the problem is with Apple's changes, it will likely be the same issue on BOSE.