Songs Skipping

• 22 April 2017
  • 91 replies

Show first post

91 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Chan try looking for your wifi power settings on your phone, mine was under wifi but i have an HTC One. There was an option to minimise power useage by wifi. I think this was causing my phone to drop connection ocationally and causing the skipping. Had the problem for about a year was driving me nuts.

Interesting! That seems like the most logical thing I’ve been recommended yet! I’m not seeing any such setting. You found the setting on your phone or on your routers settings?

Thanks!
The Setting wont be on your router, it should be on your phone. Not familiar with the i phone but i imagine a google search would tell you if the setting exists. The setting is to reduce the battery usage of your phone. I found mine under wifi settings
Hello, I have a very similar problem. This has been happening to me frequently. Whenever I listen to a playlist, many of the songs randomly stop at various points and skip to the next song. Other times, songs just stop completely without skipping to the next song. I just submitted a diagnostic: the number is 8486943.

Thanks.
I've had the same issue the past couple months with my new iPhone X running iOS 11.2.5. Songs from my iMac iTunes library, my wife's phone, and streaming (Tunein Radio stations, Pandora, Spotify) are fine. I've tried all the iPhone suggestions, with the same results. Finally, re-setting the network settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings) and then signing only into the same wifi network as the Sonos, no more skipping. Oh, and I've also turned off all the other apps. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello, geroline.castillo. Thanks for posting your diagnostic report number! I noticed your Sonos player is having a hard time staying connected to the network. Specifically the errors I am seeing stem from something physically near the player itself that is broadcasting a wireless signal. Ths signal is interfering with the player receiving a signal from your router.

If you don't mind, please describe the immediate area surrounding the player and I will be happy to advise how to address this. Typically moving the unit 6-8 inches away from any other broadcasting units should give us an improvement in the noise floor.

Thanks!
We are experiencing the exact same issue - constantly skips when playing music from device. Even if when we put the device right next to the router. It is somewhat good to know we are not alone, yet disappointing to see that tech support seems to be ignoring it.
If you're experiencing the same issue, perhaps if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and call in to Sonos to discuss it, they would be able to assist in diagnosing and help resolve it?
We have submitted 6-8 diagnostics right away when skipping occurred. We have experienced a song restarting midway, pausing midway, constantly skipping albums in a song (as in you are sampling). We also have a support case open with Sonos and asked to escalate the issue. So far their responses are:
1. Recommend adding this music to your system as a music library. This can be done from a laptop or computer that holds this music.
2. This should take the strain away from your phone, and hopefully eliminate these dropouts
3. When you stream tracks stored on your phone to multiple speakers, you are sending this information from the phone to these speakers. This requires an extra step, which in some cases a lot of mobile phones are not able to handle.

Using laptop as a source is not really a workaround, because it requires laptop to be up. And if playing from a device cannot be supported, why it is an option. And I don't really buy the argument "a lot of mobile phones are not able to handle". I wonder what kind of mobile phones can handle it then or if Sonos test mobile phones for this capability and publishes their recommendations. We are using iPhone 7 which may not be the latest and greatest but it is fairly capable device.
For people listening on this list and having this skip issue, do you observe the issue more or less if you add the song (from device) to Sonos play queue?
We have not tested a lot but between
1. Playing a playlist from device (smart phone) on Sonos
2. Adding each song from the same playlist (from device) to Sonos queue
It seems that skipping is happening less often in 2. At the end both are reading the same file from device and playing it on the speaker. Curious if others are observing the same.
We have debugged our Sonos system for this issue through Sonos technical support. Posting here to share the information, so one can debug their own system.

While connected to Sonos tech support, we played an album through an iPhone on Sonos 3 speaker. While music playing, Sonos monitored network activity between Sonos speaker and iPhone using ping utility. Anyone can do this through command line:
$ ping -c 500 -s 1000
$ ping -c 500 -s 1000

These commands should ping both devices periodically and should print out something like:
1008 bytes from : icmp_seq=494 ttl=64 time=4.222 ms

Sonos technical support indicated that time should be less than 10 ms. Occasional high values are ok, but if multiples of them is observed back to back, that is very likely when skipping or stopping would occur.

During test Sonos speaker registered less than 10 ms for most of the time. Unfortunately iPhone registered a good amount of high values as in:
1008 bytes from : icmp_seq=399 ttl=64 time=109.315 ms
1008 bytes from : icmp_seq=400 ttl=64 time=28.323 ms
1008 bytes from : icmp_seq=401 ttl=64 time=49.420 ms
1008 bytes from : icmp_seq=402 ttl=64 time=72.821 ms
1008 bytes from : icmp_seq=403 ttl=64 time=3.254 ms
1008 bytes from : icmp_seq=404 ttl=64 time=17.462 ms

Conclusion was that wifi card used in smart phones are not typically powerful enough to keep up with less than 10 ms response time. Hence skipping is observed often. It is recommended we play our music library either through a computer/laptop or NAS attached hard drive as they typically have capable wifi cards. Glad that there is now a better explanation for this issue, but it looks like there is no solution for it for the foreseeable future.
Hi all,
While listening to my Play Ones using my iPhone 7, it began skipping songs each time it got midway though the current song. However as soon as I turned off Low Power Mode it began working perfectly again.
Please note my system is on a single channel at 2.4GHz, can’t remember the exact channel number.

Hope this helps
Badge +1
SOLVED! - ONE WORKING SOLUTION FOR THIS YEARS-LONG PROBLEM FOR THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE!
After spending more than ample time with Sonos (including a week-long correspondence and an addition 4 hours on the phone for them to do nothing more than scan my network traffic, with no positive outcome), I have identified one method, which has worked for me, to finally resolve this issue. It’s a bit of a crawl though Sonos app, but worth it to eliminate the maddening issue during an *imported* playlist (ie: pulled in from iTunes). This has not been tested on desktop (which doesn’t work for me anyway). However found highly successful results on iPad. When Sonos is skipping:
1.) Empty the entire queue currently within the Sonos app.
2.) Fully close the Sonos app (don’t minimize, don’t hide. CLOSE it).
3.) Open a browser on your device. Go to any web site and let the page fully load.
4.) Go back to Sonos app> navigate to Browse> On this iPad> Playlists
5.) Click on your Playlist which goes to another screen>> Look for the ellipsis (three dots) at the very far top-right.
6.) Click the ellipsis and choose> Replace Queue.

I have found this solution to work every time, and with no faults.
I’m no expert in app or hardware component development. However, seems to me, this is an issue with the app communicating across the wireless network. Sonos will run decently when other streaming-type services are not enabled/active (ie: YouTube, Netflix, movies, etc), up to and including if they are running on *any* device (ie: mobile, hard wired, TVs, etc). Sonos seems to highjack the wireless route and if it finds it is not the primary holder, will either shut itself down, or start the skipping (doesn’t seem to want to play fair).

As always, variations in devices, models, app versions may not result the same. But for a very easy fix, its worth a try.

Good luck and best, with wishes for Sonos to get on the ball.
How do you empty the queue as you mention in step 1 above?
Badge +1
In your Sonos app, go to the queue that is currently playing (it shows the list of songs that are all lined up to play though). It should be the queue that has the black background. Up in the top of that, click “Clear”. Then follow the rest of of the steps. Hope this helps.
In your Sonos app, go to the queue that is currently playing (it shows the list of songs that are all lined up to play though). It should be the queue that has the black background. Up in the top of that, click “Clear”. Then follow the rest of of the steps. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I hope this fixes it as it's become really frustrating not being able to listen to a complete song.
I haven't let it run very long, but it looks like I can use my IPAD without skipping. This is a recent problem, in the last couple of weeks. According to the tech - Apple is not in a hurry to fix the issue - it would impact their marketing of their SONOS like product.
Same ossue here: podcasts Apple work fine when streaming from IPad, but drop after 5 mins when streaming from iPhone 8. HELP!!
I called Sonos about this issue and they're aware of it but instead of saying they'll fix it (or Apple), they told me to use the Sonos Windows app on my laptop. I started using this instead of the iPad and have no skipping issues now.
Hi

My Sonos setup continually skips songs. They are on the device I'm playing the music from but randomly, midway through the song, it skips to the next song in the queue.

Anybody any ideas? I have a Bridge that connects directly to my router.

I've submitted a diagnostic #7323334

Cheers

So basically if you want to use your expensive Sonos system you have to revert to using a laptop. I called Sonos and they told me that it is not compatible with iPhones! Wtf?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi

My Sonos setup continually skips songs. They are on the device I'm playing the music from but randomly, midway through the song, it skips to the next song in the queue.

Anybody any ideas? I have a Bridge that connects directly to my router.

I've submitted a diagnostic #7323334

Cheers

So basically if you want to use your expensive Sonos system you have to revert to using a laptop. I called Sonos and they told me that it is not compatible with iPhones! Wtf?

Allow me to lend some clarity to this. Given some changes on Apple's end recently, this has changed the way in which the lock screen interacts with third-party applications. Ours being one of them. We are working to resolve this but for now, it will take some time. It is a known issue. You do not Have to use a laptop to control Sonos, you can still play from your iOS device, though at this time it would require you to disable the auto-lockscreen on the iOS device.

You can also opt to host your music on your laptop, playing from the Sonos Music Library. Though obviously, if your computer is not awake, the memory on the device will not be accessible.

My proposed resolution, for the time being, is to disable the auto lockscreen on your iOS device and continue to play back from the phone itself. Will you let me know how this goes?

Many thanks.
I have the same issue but rarely play from my iPhone, mainly from my iPad, only sine this latest update, I am now restricted to radio only. Get a grip SONOS or sell no more, which would be a crying same.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I have the same issue but rarely play from my iPhone, mainly from my iPad, only sine this latest update, I am now restricted to radio only. Get a grip SONOS or sell no more, which would be a crying same.

Hi, Roy. Did you try this advice from my post?

My proposed resolution, for the time being, is to disable the auto lockscreen on your iOS device and continue to play back from the phone itself. Will you let me know how this goes?

Badge
I'm getting very disappointed and quit recommending this to friends.
Same here, thinking of moving to Bose, tired of listening to half songs...
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I'm getting very disappointed and quit recommending this to friends.
Same here, thinking of moving to Bose, tired of listening to half songs...

Hi there, JMF2. I got back to you in the other thread. I think that regardless of which WiFi speaker you choose to implement into your household, you need to lay the foundation of a solid WiFi environment to gain any satisfactory level of performance. The aforementioned response I sent should get us started in achieving that.

Hello again, Roy. As explained in my message, I think that your problems go beyond the lockscreen. We can certainly get to the bottom of this for you, regardless. Following an occurrence of this issue, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause. Many thanks in advance.
Same problem here & this is so frustrating. I've disabled the auto lock features on my iPad and iPhone; checked the channel to be sure it was auto connecting to the best available; tried the recommended deletion of a queue and closing/reopening of the app; disabled airplay on the iMac, iPad and iPhone. None of this helped and I have submitted diagnostics- most recently #1112760302. I don't think that I could ever recommend Sonos, despite the ease of connection and the quality of the sound. If anyone solves this, I would love to hear how!