Songs constantly skipping with latest app update

• 27 September 2018
  • 1 reply

I'm so mad, you all. Now, not only do I not have access to sonos on my iphone lock screen, playing songs from the phone SKIP halfway through every single song! This is insanity! We have 6 speakers throughout our apartment, and I'm on the verge of throwing them all away. I'm so frustrated and disappointed.

How can you go from a perfectly functional app (ignoring the stupid UX eff-ups your junior-league designers made) to nada with one single update.

I'm done. No one should be having to struggle this hard to get basic functionality back.

Let this serve as a warning to people considering buying sonos speakers. DON'T.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Or, as an alternative, you could post a diagnostic number here, along with some additional details, and get some assistance. Or even call in, or avail yourself of the 24/7 support that Sonos provides in Facebook and Twitter.

I understand being unhappy, but I'm not sure you're going to do yourself much good by ranting

Based on what you've written, I'm going to hazard a guess that you've run into the "update broke my system" that occasionally happens when a router is in an unhappy state, and is handing out duplicate IP addresses to the speakers when they softboot after an update.

I'd recommend that you unplug all your Sonos speakers from power, then reboot your router. Then, one at a time, plug back in your Sonos speakers, waiting at least a minute or two between each one to allow it enough time to boot up, and request an new IP address from the router.

If that does indeed work, then I'd recommend that you investigate how to assign reserved IP addresses in your router's DHCP table. Took me 10 minutes to figure it out for my router, but since I've done that, several years ago, I've never run in to that issue.

It's an unfortunate fact that Sonos speakers, due to the way music streams, are much more sensitive to wifi issues. Most computers, for instance, are much more tolerant to interruptions in streaming content, as they've got much more memory to use as a buffer.

It's also possible that you've got a simple case of wifi interference, there's a lot of information behind that link that might help you try some other troubleshooting steps.

I'm sorry this has been such a difficult time for you, and agree that when things don't "just work", it is most frustrating. But if you avoid throwing them out the window into the street, I'm pretty sure that either the community here, or Sonos can help you straighten your system out.