Question

Some questions

• 24 October 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge
Hi all, I need some answers before to buy a Sonos Connect.
I have an iTunes Match account, will my full library (about 50k songs) will be aviable in sonos app?
Do the google play music music service need the installed app (ios or android) to work?
Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Google Play - No you don't need the Google app - You log into your GPM account via the Sonos app.

iTunes Match - Not sure but I don't think this works via Sonos - You need an Apple Music subscription - This is not a Sonos thing per se it is a decision by Apple
Badge
Thank you!
So, If I understand, an Apple Music Subscription (that includes iTunes match) works fine, but an iTunes Match subscription doesn't work? That's strange
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
A brief Google search (Is Google broken where you are?) shows that iTunes Match and Sonos don't work - You need to download the songs to your PC, Laptop, Mac or phone and go from there.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
The Apple suscription makes Match redundant as all your music is available under the subscription.
Badge
A brief Google search (Is Google broken where you are?) shows that iTunes Match and Sonos don't work - You need to download the songs to your PC, Laptop, Mac or phone and go from there.

It's not broken, but is confusing me anywhere I read because it says that with apple music subscription you can access to your icloud based library. That's the why I'm asking on this forum, not just to make you angry 😛 And all posts I read are at lest 5 months ago older
Hi. Apple allows cloud-based content to be played only on Apple devices, not on third-party systems like Sonos, UNLESS you have a subscription to Apple Music, in which case you are fine. And as @BoredOfBalham stated, you have access to the tens of millions of tracks in the Apple Music catalogue anyway.

GPM allows you to stream your library from the cloud for free. It has a maximum of 50,000 tracks for this. Of course you can subscribe to GPM to get access to a catalogue of tens of millions of tracks.

You don't have to install the GPM app but if you do so on an Android device you can play direct from the GPM app to Sonos as an alternative to using the Sonos app. FWIW I never use the GPM app.

I hope that helps.
Badge
Hi. Apple allows cloud-based content to be played only on Apple devices, not on third-party systems like Sonos, UNLESS you have a subscription to Apple Music, in which case you are fine. And as @BoredOfBalham stated, you have access to the tens of millions of tracks in the Apple Music catalogue anyway.

GPM allows you to stream your library from the cloud for free. It has a maximum of 50,000 tracks for this. Of course you can subscribe to GPM to get access to a catalogue of tens of millions of tracks.

You don't have to install the GPM app but if you do so on an Android device you can play direct from the GPM app to Sonos as an alternative to using the Sonos app. FWIW I never use the GPM app.

I hope that helps.

Helps a lot, thank you so much
I'll also just point out that with GPM it doesn't actually upload your whole library, just the tracks it doesn't have already. Your cloud-based GPM library is likely to consist mainly of references to the tracks in GPM's catalogue. It will still look and play as if they were all "your" tracks. This is of course to avoid GPM having to hold thousands of identical copies of a track on its servers. I assume a similar principle applies for Apple, although I have never looked into it.