Answered

Solution for playing CDs

Badge
Ok - we still love our CD box sets - question is how can we play them through our Sonos system - the playbar, the Snos 5v2 or both? Any suggestions for what to buy please CD or DVD player? and which model?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 May 2017, 19:50

Well, once it's in the Sonos ecosystem, you could play them on both the Sonos Play:5 get 2, or the Playbar. There's 2 ways of accomplishing this. First would be to rip them, i.e. convert them into data that is stored on a PC or NAS, and then point Sonos to the location of those files. Ultimately, this is the best way to go.

The other option, a little less desirable, but still functional, is to get a player connected to the line in on the Play:5. What you'd need to do is take the output from your CD/DVD player and connect it to the Play:5's line in, which would require a RCA to 3.5mm cable. Alternately, you could purchase a Connect, and use the RCA input on that, but that would be an additional hardware purchase, just to get the RCA inputs.

Of course, if you have a Playbar already, and don't have it connected to your TV, you would be able to connect an optical cable to a DVD/CD player (assuming it has an optical out, many do) directly, and you'd be good to go.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Well, once it's in the Sonos ecosystem, you could play them on both the Sonos Play:5 get 2, or the Playbar. There's 2 ways of accomplishing this. First would be to rip them, i.e. convert them into data that is stored on a PC or NAS, and then point Sonos to the location of those files. Ultimately, this is the best way to go.

The other option, a little less desirable, but still functional, is to get a player connected to the line in on the Play:5. What you'd need to do is take the output from your CD/DVD player and connect it to the Play:5's line in, which would require a RCA to 3.5mm cable. Alternately, you could purchase a Connect, and use the RCA input on that, but that would be an additional hardware purchase, just to get the RCA inputs.

Of course, if you have a Playbar already, and don't have it connected to your TV, you would be able to connect an optical cable to a DVD/CD player (assuming it has an optical out, many do) directly, and you'd be good to go.
Badge
Thanks! re option 2, can you suggest a small, inexpensive CD/DVD player that does have a line out? Doesnt seem many do
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Edit all links removed to try to get this to post... try Amazon's search. Sorry for the aggravation!

Not inexpensive but small and I have been very happy with my Denon gear's sound and the company's support for many years now.

Denon DCD 50

Not as small but cheaper is this Onkyo that has decent ratings, changer is a huge plus if you want to listen to more than one CD..

Onkyo DXC390 Disc CD Changer

Almost every component style CD player will have line-out connections using RCA type jacks, many offer an optical output as well.

A Sonos Connect will accept the RCA connection directly.

The Play 5s offer an input option using what looks to be a 3.5 mm jack, that will work if you use an RCA to 3.5 adapter cable.

I'm not sure on your Playbar but it looks to have an optical input available that might work if you picked a CD player with an optical out connection.

BUT unless you really love playing with your CDs and prying them out of their cases adding something like a Western Digital Live Drive (Ethernet connected external hard disk drive) and ripping your CDs to it is going to be incredibly more convenient.

WD personal cloud storage my-cloud
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007F9XHBI/ref=psdc_1036922_t1_B007F9XHAY
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Another option that is free, is google play music:-
https://play.google.com/about/music/sonos/
50,000 tracks always ready to play from your controller, without having to get out of your seat to load cd's, from the bath even ;O)
Something to try for free, before buying a NAS.
Freedom to instant music you love, is what sonos is all about.
Another option that is free, is google play music:-
https://play.google.com/about/music/sonos/
50,000 tracks always ready to play from your controller, without having to get out of your seat to load cd's, from the bath even ;O)
Something to try for free, before buying a NAS.
Freedom to instant music you love, is what sonos is all about.
All good, valid points. Two potential advantages of a NAS are lossless CD quality files and no internet data usage while listening. Those aspects may or may not matter to you.
Local NAS is also better where the broadband pipe is dodgy. Of course, a CDP is the only solution for those that "still love their CD box sets" ! My entire collection has been in the attic for some years now, once all were ripped to the NAS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
All good points.
I don't buy physical media anymore. I watch a film once, play an album continuously for a couple of months, then move onto the next new release I like.
Netflix is to tv, what internet music subscription providers are to sonos........there must be a marketing catchphrase in there somewhere ;O)
And Kindle - and to an extent Kindle Unlimited - is to books. Content rules, not the media that carries it.

Uber and others threaten to do this to car ownership as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not inexpensive but small and I have been very happy with my Denon gear's sound and the company's support for many years now.

Denon DCD 50

Can't edit the above post I quoted so this will have to do.

Folks are reporting two troubling issues, first the Denon DCD 50 is getting a few bad reviews that sound like quality control or cheap parts (laser assembly?) that result in bad sound on some but not all CDs. Second if you call Denon and mention that you are using it with a Sonos the Denon folks refuse to assist you in solving the Denon issue.

So don't buy a Denon DCD 50 and if you do and have issues NEVER MENTION Sonos to them.
Lol. Boys sulking in the sandpit never really grow up do they?!