SMB v1 only ? 3000 $ network stereo, and I have to weaken my security for mp3 files?

• 13 September 2020
  • 29 replies

Userlevel 1

Whats the Eta for SMB v2 and 3 ?
This is why I was worried of spending this kind of money on 1 vender. Vender lock in, and apparently security is irelevant.

I waited years to buy sonos, because I knew stuff like this would happen with vendor lock in….

I just want ot map a Network share from a NAS. Its not magic….

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

I notice that sonos continually close the topic on SMB 1 

I have written to  some TV stations and hi fi magazines to  try to start a swell of  “ANTI SONOS feeling about this. It is unforgiveable that this company behaves in such a ******* fashion.

My wholly unfounded and rumour spreading suspicion is there s something in SMB1 that allows them sniff around your networks and send back information about tall the other media you have. 

Moderation: Modified in accordance to the Terms of Service

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Wow. If they would close these topics how could you leave the same “unfounded and rumour spreading” message within half an hour in five or six topics covering this problem?

Apart from that I also am curious why Sonos does not solve this (and the 64k limit with it). Alas, Sonos does not comment on future development - and the times they did they where severly punished in public opinion (the announced introduction of voice control).

So I’m curious, but do not expect an answer. I do not feel the need to spread paranoid rumours though…...

@106rallye  -   Cambridge Analytica is a lesson for us all to  heed when it comes to “trusting” corporations and data harvesting.  

History also gives us the Sony scandal of 2005,  where the corporation secretly installed  software for one reason which exposed the User’s equipment to security breaches other non sony “malware” exploited.

In order to use SONOS equipment natively with a NAS the solution proposed is one has to open up the network to  SMB1 which introduces the security threat.  

I cut and paste  into the some of the associated threads  still open. There are many which have been closed, all unsatisfied. 

My opinion is  there needs to be an impartial and expert investigation into  the  weakness of SMB 1 and its use by SONOS and possibly others  in the business of “home streaming” to eliminate. I have made my complaint.

I am hopeful that others on this community seeking a resolution make a similar  complaint to their  Data Commissioner  Finding your national EU Data commissioner

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

SMB is a local network protocol, Sonos uses Internet friendly protocols for data collection.